Sotomayor's views on guns prompt questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:god you are so scary lol, i can't believe how naive you are mate, :shock:

naive? i gave you plenty of historical events (which is just a memory away). Not so naive, I suppose....

the army does that for you for gods sake, a house owner isnt going to make a bit of difference in having a gun.
What happens when the army is itself the enemy?

the lines of debates here tonight for justifying guns are laughable, quoting dictators in third world countries and communist countries etc, knowing damn well it will never happen in the US same as it will never happen in the UK.
Never say "never."

it's amost as pathetic as sayin we need them incase we are invaded by aliens from outerspace.
it's not a vaild reason for justifying thousands of innocent deaths through guns, not even close to it.
Aliens from outer space aren't real. That's the difference.

I'm not justifying innocent deaths. Neither do innocent deaths justify disarming all gun owners.

no one is saying guns should be banned completely, just that you need to have a reason to own one, sporting/hunting etc. the same arguement came up here in the UK too, but it's worked, we don't nearly have as many gun deaths these days, and when we do the illegal guns have more often than not came from ireland and alot of them came from the US sent over to support the IRA, so your lax gun laws are affecting more countires than just the US.
but being the worst capitalist country in the world a ban will never happen because of the money gun sales generate and the ridiculous power the money makers have over your senate.
why can't you look further than your shores, and see how much better other countries are with less guns being available.

:gpost:

That's exactly what I'm saying from the get and go, Americans needs a real good reason why they need a gun for what purpose. I'm tired of guns ending up in the wrong hands. We need to end this violence not tomorrow, not next year, not next month, but now. ;)

you are getting a bit silly now reba, cars are made for travelling, guns are made for killing, either of them are just metal without someone behind it I agree, but they are both made for different reasons.

Don't forget, people don't always use things based on role of those things. People can use the car to hurt or even kill others in the purpose.

:gpost:

That's exactly what I'm saying from the get and go, Americans needs a real good reason why they need a gun for what purpose. I'm tired of guns ending up in the wrong hands. We need to end this violence not tomorrow, not next year, not next month, but now. ;)

but why the law-abiding Americans should need a real good reason to have gun? The criminals didn't need reason to have one. Why don't we require questionnaires for alcohol and cars? I'm tired of people driving jumbo SUV and not know how to drive it properly. I'm tired of people irresponsibly drinking like a fool and killing people with their cars. I'm tired of alcohols and cars ending up in the wrong hands that killed many many children and families - far far more than guns.

If you want to end this violence, empower the law-abiding citizens and start regulating on people responsible. Who, you ask? manufacturer, dealer, transporter, etc.

but why the law-abiding Americans should need a real good reason to have gun?

Why should any law-abiding American should need a real reason to have a machine gun, anthrax, laser rays and so on? Maybe they just want to test it on things, not people. It's none of your damn business. Have faith in them, give them everything!

Isn't it what it all comes down to?

Having faith in each other? If we had more faith in other people, we would definitely loosen up the control laws, but it's kinda hard to trust other people to do the right thing, and not even just doing the right thing but also being careful and being prepared.

I try to imagine 10 random people I know. I think to myself "What are the chances that if they had a gun, that they would do something stupid and kill someone else?" Chances are low, but........ still a chance.

Why should any law-abiding American should need a real reason to have a machine gun, anthrax, laser rays and so on? Maybe they just want to test it on things, not people. It's none of your damn business. Have faith in them, give them everything!

Isn't it what it all comes down to?

Having faith in each other? If we had more faith in other people, we would definitely loosen up the control laws, but it's kinda hard to trust other people to do the right thing, and not even just doing the right thing but also being careful and being prepared.

I try to imagine 10 random people I know. I think to myself "What are the chances that if they had a gun, that they would do something stupid and kill someone else?" Chances are low, but........ still a chance.

won't matter anyway because you have what they have. it pretty much balance things out. The way it is right now - it's unbalanced as the criminals have a significant firepower advantage than law-abiding citizens. Now that's what's wrong with the picture.

yes the chance is low... and it has already happened several times. the total casualty is still far far less than the numbers of victims - those who could not protect themselves from thugs due to oxymoronic gun restriction laws.

simply look at the case in Vermont where there is ZERO gun law and the gun-required towns.

won't matter anyway because you have what they have. it pretty much balance things out. The way it is right now - it's unbalanced as the criminals have a significant firepower advantage than law-abiding citizens. Now that's what's wrong with the picture.

It has nothing to do with firepower, it has to do with the surprise tactic!

Sometimes I wonder of all the crimes related to guns, how many victims actually had a gun anyway. I bet it's a surprising number.

I've been held up by knife point before. Looking back, we so could have taken him (I was with a friend) because he was alone, had a little swiss army knife, and he seemed messed up on drugs. But why did he get our money? Was it because he had his little cute knife and "over powered us"? Hell no, he just really surprised us!

If a person buys a gun but he/she don't use it very much, then he/she person is utterly idiot, all right. I think it is a good idea if each gun owner should give it back if they don't use it so often... They should have a good reason to own a gun... Or, they should not have it. Well, too bad, someday, something would happen at his/her house and someone got a shot dead after a gun is return to any gun store. More idiotic for them, all right. *nodding* Hm-mmm...

Oh, what a nice idea! :)

Awe come on! Can't ya just copy and paste the photo here from the URL!

:wave:
was to busy signing an autograph for a fan :wave:

CQrpCj4bOoaisjaa2NIp1kMNo1_500.jpg

It has nothing to do with firepower, it has to do with the surprise tactic!
yes it does. It's called "Show of Force". Recall purplecatty's post while back about armed standoff with neighbor that ended in a very peaceful way simply because the homeowner has a bigger double-barrel shotgun? :lol:

Surprise tactic is another issue. It doesn't matter anyway because you can even use a toy gun for this.

Sometimes I wonder of all the crimes related to guns, how many victims actually had a gun anyway. I bet it's a surprising number.
far less than armed victims. unfortunately - the media distorted the public into thinking that guns should be banned by publishing more news about victims getting killed by guns instead of criminals being killed by armed victims. Gotta love its misguided anti-gun agenda.

I've been held up by knife point before. Looking back, we so could have taken him (I was with a friend) because he was alone, had a little swiss army knife, and he seemed messed up on drugs. But why did he get our money? Was it because he had his little cute knife and "over powered us"? Hell no, he just really surprised us!

it's because you were being smart (while being scared shitless). Small or big knife, you should never ever attempt to fight unless your life is in dire danger. Same thing applies for armed person. Simply give him what he wants and that will be end of it. Giving him some crumpy $20 is a very small price to pay compared to dealing with a legal shitstorm if I shot him. I have to retain a lawyer, deal with police/DA interrogations, maybe press interview, etc. I don't want to deal with that.

Last edited:
yes it does. It's called "Show of Force". Recall purplecatty's post while back about armed standoff with neighbor that ended in a very peaceful way simply because the homeowner has a bigger double-barrel shotgun? :lol:

Surprise tactic is another issue. It doesn't matter anyway because you can even use a toy gun for this.

far less than armed victims. unfortunately - the media distorted the public into thinking that guns should be banned by publishing more news about victims getting killed by guns instead of criminals being killed by armed victims. Gotta love its misguided anti-gun agenda.

it's because you were being smart (while being scared shitless). Small or big knife, you should never ever attempt to fight unless your life is in dire danger. Same thing applies for armed person. Simply give him what he wants and that will be end of it. Giving him some crumpy $20 is a very small price to pay compared to dealing with a legal shitstorm if I shot him. I have to retain a lawyer, deal with police/DA interrogations, maybe press interview, etc. I don't want to deal with that.

oh grow up Jiro, and start looking at facts from other countries, who have and are having more success than your country. the basis of both of your arguements seem to be focused on, "ok in terms of the massive number of gun deaths here" and the lack of them all over the world, it's justified because we can't ask our fellow citizens to get rid of uneeded guns so they dont fall into the wrong hands.
you are both acting like silly kids, with no logical explanation or excuse for owning them instead citing age old happenings or things that are in no way going to happen in the US or indeed the UK, it pains me to say this but both of you seem to be desperate in keeping guns, yet not once showing any logic nor proof of success in keeping them, the whole worlds going the other way, less third world countries who's death rates are almost as bad as yours, the rest of the civilised world want rid of them, and not to see the so called superpower act like some trigger happy, life comes cheap cowboy town.
other than third world contires, and i mean outside the US, show us some success stories where any idiotic cowboy is allowed to own a gun and the death rates have fallen? try that one instead of the stupid history lessons that have no bearing in modern times.

ps. if you come across some obscure tiny country with next to no population(or a third world country or like the US near enough for some races), i would like to warn you that you will look even more ridiculous and blood thirsty as you do now, BUT if you do come over some positive figures and proof the number of innocent deaths are falling then I will be glad to hear of them, if not then you are basically saying you endorse the innocent deaths over the rights of people who have no need for them to own guns.
i wait in eagerness to a vaild debate, after all global warmign wasnt happening in the US till last year:lol::lol: so I guess it will be many eyars before you see sense and fiollow the civilised world with guns, but humour me none the less, i like a good laugh

Arizona to permit handguns in bars

PHOENIX (AP) — Arizonans with concealed weapons permits will be allowed to take a handgun into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol under a bill signed Monday by Gov. Jan Brewer.

The measure, backed by the National Rifle Association, will require bar and restaurant owners who want to ban weapons on the premises to post a no-guns sign next to the business' liquor license.

Drinking while carrying a weapon would be illegal.

Before a compromise reached late in the Legislature's regular session, the measure pitted powerful groups representing gun and bar owners against each other.

Opponents have said mixing guns and alcohol produces a dangerous combination that could cause violence. Supporters said people should be able to protect themselves at businesses that serve alcohol. Supporters also said it was risky to leave guns in parked vehicles.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: National Rifle Association

The bill originally only applied to establishments with kitchens, but it was expanded to include bars. Another change was to move the location for posting a no-guns notice, which originally was to have been next to the main entrance. Some bar owners had worried about uncertainty over which entrance would be considered the main entrance.

A lobbyist for the Arizona Licensed Beverage Association, which opposed the original bill, said the amended version created clear, uniform and enforceable rules.

"It's going to happen one way or another, and this was the best version we've seen," ALBA lobbyist Don Isaacson said after the bill was revised last month.

It's already legal to carry a gun into a store that sells alcohol for consumption elsewhere.

It would be a misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a fine of up to $500 to carry a gun into an establishment with a no-guns notice posted.

The law, however, includes a partial legal defense for a person carrying a concealed weapon within an establishment banning guns. It would apply if the sign had fallen down, the person wasn't an Arizona resident and the notice was first posted less than a month earlier.

:cool2:

Stupid. You only add more fire to fire. I predict more gun violence in bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back