Sorenson vs Purple vs ZVRS?

BerrySparkled

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm doing a little research on getting my first VP. Having never used a VP before I'm uncertain of which brand would be best for me. My counselor recommended these three to me because of how popular they are. Some of their websites are a little hard to navigate and I didn't really find any good comparison reviews (or I might've miss them) though.

Can anyone here please share their experiences with the aforementioned brands and list pros and cons? Thank you. :ty:

Sorenson is big shark.
Too much wired from hardware around. Ugh

Purple want you eat grape.
Why ugly-ass vp over the HDTV? Damnit

ZVRS is Go-for-Mobile stuff.
Then why Max5 without Wi-Fi? WTF

Sorenson has one number that runs and is used on all your devices. Prob had the largest number of interpreters. You can have multiple mobile providers but need to pick one for home. Z5 max is junk. Completely locked down computer with poor user interface. Purple screwed me out of thousands of dollars after I invested in deaf business stock and they voluntarily delisted their stick without telling shareholders and ran of with millions of our money. So F*!k Purple

Look through the forum too- there are a few threads on all three VRS.

I use ZVRS PC- it's okay but their interface could be a hell of a lot better. Sorenson I may try again- my friend (or actually two of my friends do) has the Sorenson VP- looks nice. His is big- wish I had a chance to see it in action. Purple is.. okay- have the PC version but I can't figure out how to stop the stupid application from loading and popping up the log in screen every time I start/restart my PC. I found a fix- that worked for a while but it doesn't anymore (and I can't be bothered to go look up what service to stop because I can't remember the name of it!- no it's not "purple.xxx" lol).

All of them have their pros and cons to be sure and every one of us has had different experiences with them.

One thing I've noticed I seem to be getting more spam telemarketers or something on my ZVRS number- and at least 2 wrong number vmails in the last year.

Thanks for everybody's replies! I did look through the threads for more information but they were more or less complaints on a certain brand and I wanted to hear comparisons and your experiences if possible. So far it sounds like Sorenson is my best bet.

Thanks again.:ty:

I would highly recommend Convo. Convo is owned by Deaf people. ;) So using Convo as your video relay service is a no-brainer for two reasons. Owned by Deaf people, that means they share Deaf culture therefore they understand the needs of Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals truly so that is why Convo is built with Deaf people in mind unlike other providers such as Sorenson or Purple as they built with money (greed) in mind. Second since Convo is owned by Deaf people, they screen interpreters much better as their first language is ASL and others like Sorenson or Purple is owned by hearing people (most of them don't know ASL) so they wouldn't know if the interpreters is actually good when they screens them.

ConvoRelay.com - One number for all, you can use Convo via app and via any kinds of video phone, software for computers... AND they have a product calls "Anywhere" where you can literally VP on anything that have internet browser and camera. TV? You got it. Xbox? you got it. Playstation? Yep that too! No VRS has these except Convo so Convo have wider products and more way to VP than any of other VRS providers. All you have to do is type https://anywhere.convorelay.com/ on internet browser on any devices. Xbox 360, Xbox One have web cam accessory so you can type that address to your Xbox One or Xbox 360 internet browser and Playstation 3 or 4 has webcam as accessory too so you type that address to your PS3 or PS4 then log in and call away. If you have smart TV like Samsung, you can buy Samsung TV webcam for your Samsung Smart TV then call away. So in other words, anything that have internet browser and webcam you can call anyone by Convo. Of course you have to apply at Convo which is fast, it takes about 5 minutes to apply then you gets your own number right away and you can use Convo on anything (apps for cell phones or tablets, if no apps then use anywhere.convorelay.com).

Hmm wonder how the video quality is on WiFi...I had a number with them a while ago but probably have lost it again anyway.

I'm back to ZVRS- I'm happier with that one even though I hate the GUI (Sorenson's was better GUI but no audio option to hear the caller among other things :P). Had a lot of issues trying to get it to work (yes even with wireless AND recently hooking up ethernet cable between my PC and the router- still sucked).

Hmm wonder how the video quality is on WiFi...I had a number with them a while ago but probably have lost it again anyway.

I'm back to ZVRS- I'm happier with that one even though I hate the GUI (Sorenson's was better GUI but no audio option to hear the caller among other things :P). Had a lot of issues trying to get it to work (yes even with wireless AND recently hooking up ethernet cable between my PC and the router- still sucked).

So I take it the content of the last paragraph of Joshie's post(#6) right above yours
isn't enough to make you go back to Convo.....?

So I take it the content of the last paragraph of Joshie's post(#6) right above yours
isn't enough to make you go back to Convo.....?
Not yet at least.

I ported my Z number to Sorenson (mistake)... just my luck I ended up with 2 different interviews/calls regarding jobs right at the time I was having problems with Sorenson. So... I had to get a new number on Z (since it takes 1-2 weeks to completely port existing numbers back).

I may port one or the other to Convo later. Just had enough of dealing with tech people/CSR people for now.

Too bad I can't just have ONE VRS number and be able to switch between services (when needed if one is down or busy) but I get why they do it the way they do...

You can always go back to your preferred video relay service if you decide to port your number with the other provider to try. Or do what I do, register for a new number to try and if I feel that it's the right video relay provider for me then I call in the support to ask them to change my number by porting the number that I primarily use and give the number that I registered to try to somebody else or cancel what I call it a trial-number if you will.

Convo is already working on a large update for Desktop software for both versions. Windows and Mac. I am their beta tester and man... What a creative mind they have in building a 2nd software which will be called Desktop 2 for both operating systems.

Nonetheless it never harms in registering a new number with Convo, call it your trial-number and if you like it enough to where you feel that Convo should be your primary VP then do what I did. Have them kill off my trial number and port my number that everybody knows.

Hmm yeah may do that. I had to create a new number quickly as I was in the middle of potential job conversations (1 rejection and 1...well no further communication from them for whatever reason...??). I haven't gotten around to switching the number back to ZVRS. That was a weird issue with Sorenson- they ported yes but nowhere on my GUI was it reflected- it still had the number they assigned to it (I tend to rely on the number shown on screen to give when people ask for it lol).

Right now I'm sort of in the "I give up" mode due to the jobs thing. But Convo looks promising from what you said.

Hmm yeah may do that. I had to create a new number quickly as I was in the middle of potential job conversations (1 rejection and 1...well no further communication from them for whatever reason...??). I haven't gotten around to switching the number back to ZVRS. That was a weird issue with Sorenson- they ported yes but nowhere on my GUI was it reflected- it still had the number they assigned to it (I tend to rely on the number shown on screen to give when people ask for it lol).

Right now I'm sort of in the "I give up" mode due to the jobs thing. But Convo looks promising from what you said.
Should have create a number with Convo! Convo doesn't have a pending system. As soon as you are done registering they give you a new number right away at the end of registration. Won't have to wait to see if you are approved or whatever.

I personally don't like Sorenson, maybe it's me but I don't like to give my business to biggest VRS provider as Sorenson owns the most VRS industry in market (80% something) while other providers struggles with trying to earn higher percent of these 20 percents. Second is Purple and third is Convo. But funny thing is Convo is owned by Deaf and Sorenson/Purple is owned by hearing. So I want to give my business to a business that needs it the most especially if it's owned by Deaf and beside if it's owned by Deaf then it means it's more suitable for me because they knows what I need since they are Deaf. Sorenson or Purple could easily let in ASL 1 or 2 interpreter in while thinking that they are intermediate ASL interpreter because they don't know ASL like we do, since it's owned by hearing people. Now Convo that's a different story, Convo is owned by Deaf and they knows ASL so they know if the interpreters really know ASL or not before hiring them to interpret for us on VP.

If there isn't Convo, I go to Purple as I prefer Purple over Sorenson or ZVRS. But thankfully there is Convo and I won't have to worry about going to a hearing owned VRS provider.

Been with sorenson for so many years and never had an issue with their quality services but when I tried Zvrs or purple didn't get that same quality service I am used to form Sorenson.

But to each own I guess. I do not mind trying different VP companies on my mobile phone and testing them out as long as they don't give me foolish out of area numbers like purple and Zvrs did when I first signed up for them

No Audio option? Are you talking about enabling the microphone? It under Settings - Devices - Audio in Sorenson nVP if I remembered correctly.

Should have create a number with Convo! Convo doesn't have a pending system. As soon as you are done registering they give you a new number right away at the end of registration. Won't have to wait to see if you are approved or whatever.

I DID! Last year or the year before when I was trying out all three (well 4). I know that if you do NOT use any of them for a period of time (6 months to a year?) you LOSE the number. So likely by now I've lost the number I have. I may go get a second number but like I said after all the crap between Sorenson and going back to ZVRS and having to give 2 different recruiters 2 different numbers (long story) I don't want to go through all that a third time right now.

No Audio option? Are you talking about enabling the microphone? It under Settings - Devices - Audio in Sorenson nVP if I remembered correctly.

No not the microphone- that's turned on (after I got an actual microphone). I also have speakers set. Also I don't use nVP I use nTouch for PC. (no space here for a nVP- it's a nice to have... maybe eventually).

What my issue with Sorenson is...
1. I call a number, I have VCO set as my option. I use DAI cords plugged into my PC headphone jack. When the interpreter answers and dials- other caller answers- I cannot hear the other caller's voice (I'm able to hear some and it does help having BOTH voice and sign for me).

2. the same is true when someone calls ME (only example I have is the signmail I got though).

With ZVRS, when I ask to use VCO (one thing I don't like you can't set an option BEFORE the call anymore...), I can hear both the interpreter's voice before I call (sometimes) and the voice of the other caller/callee.

There is no difference between Sorenson and ZVRS settings for audio and mic- that I can see anyway- so I suspect it's on the VRS provider's side maybe?

Sounded like firewall issues on either computer or router.

I have noticed changes and am not happy with it, and seeing more problems lately. The major changes I know has to do with automatic configuration with firewall, sorta of like plug n play. Main reason is interoperatively as demanded by many vrs users, which causes problems with configuration. Ofc not the sole problem, therez bunch going on that I see going on, and I am done with these bs. Wish go back and make it simple, guess its impossible.

Sounded like firewall issues on either computer or router.

I have noticed changes and am not happy with it, and seeing more problems lately. The major changes I know has to do with automatic configuration with firewall, sorta of like plug n play. Main reason is interoperatively as demanded by many vrs users, which causes problems with configuration. Ofc not the sole problem, therez bunch going on that I see going on, and I am done with these bs. Wish go back and make it simple, guess its impossible.
No idea. I know that I turned off the firewall on either the router or the modem (as the issue actually started when we had to switch cable modems) on the advice of one of the techs (I've had so much dealings with both I can't remember what's what anymore) but that did not work. I did end up changing security type from WPA2 Personal to WPA2 Mixed Mode on my router and that has helped- haven't had an issue with ZVRS since (Sorenson is fine too but the video seems dark for me oddly...and no audio lol).

Could have been any number of things to do with the UBee modem, my very old Linksys router (we're talking about a new one...considering it) or something else.

I DID! Last year or the year before when I was trying out all three (well 4). I know that if you do NOT use any of them for a period of time (6 months to a year?) you LOSE the number. So likely by now I've lost the number I have. I may go get a second number but like I said after all the crap between Sorenson and going back to ZVRS and having to give 2 different recruiters 2 different numbers (long story) I don't want to go through all that a third time right now.

No not the microphone- that's turned on (after I got an actual microphone). I also have speakers set. Also I don't use nVP I use nTouch for PC. (no space here for a nVP- it's a nice to have... maybe eventually).

What my issue with Sorenson is...
1. I call a number, I have VCO set as my option. I use DAI cords plugged into my PC headphone jack. When the interpreter answers and dials- other caller answers- I cannot hear the other caller's voice (I'm able to hear some and it does help having BOTH voice and sign for me).

2. the same is true when someone calls ME (only example I have is the signmail I got though).

With ZVRS, when I ask to use VCO (one thing I don't like you can't set an option BEFORE the call anymore...), I can hear both the interpreter's voice before I call (sometimes) and the voice of the other caller/callee.

There is no difference between Sorenson and ZVRS settings for audio and mic- that I can see anyway- so I suspect it's on the VRS provider's side maybe?
Oh! Yeah, same goes with the other providers. I have lost number with ZVRS and I did lost number with Convo once a several years ago until I decided to try Convo again and obviously I was wooed enough to talk highly of Convo. Convo have changed a lot, as at that time Convo were just a baby and starting so after bumps there and here they gotten to where they should be at.

I just lost a number with ZVRS last week and I was fine with that, it make sense anyway because if you aren't going to use it for a long period of time then why keep it active? And beside I believe that's under FCC policy, not providers so to help FCC to use the money for somebody else instead of spending on a number that isn't being used for several months.

When I went back to Convo, to try them out again I had them to special order me a number because they didn't have my area code and they have it special order instantly and I got my area code number within' a week. I did same with Purple and it took Purple about 2 weeks 1/2 to special order my area code number for me. All of providers except Sorenson had to special order my area code number. Which that remind me I need to use Sorenson for a few minutes so to make sure that I keep my number there.

Only providers I use now is Convo and Purple. I use Convo the most and use Purple every now and then to keep the number I have there that were special ordered for me active. I'd feel bad to not use them for they went through to special order a number specifically for me haha. ZVRS is so horrible that I don't feel any bad for them going through to special order me my area code number. That's how bad ZVRS were to me. Only two providers that I want to keep going is Convo and Purple.

If you have Mac, e-mail Convo and ask them to enlist you in their beta program for Desktop 2 because that will certainly have you hooked to Convo besides their AnyWhere product.

I use PC but there is a Mac in the house (well while I'm here...temporarily..I hope...). Hmm.

Back