Sorenson shut down SIPRelay on July 31

Think about this, we used to have over 50 relay service providers. Now what happened to majority of them?

Its trickling down to the point where no business will be willing to work for no profit. Sorenson decided to get out of IP relay business... Why? Loss of profit and they can't continue like that. Its purely business decision, BTW, Sorenson isn't only one unplugged the service, two other providers have unplugged the service in the last two months.

When we all wake up, it may be too late.

i711.com sucks by the way.

I'd still rather use it over actual relay services. I just feel that my ASL skills aren't up to snuff and I'd rather rely on my typing skills.

No, more likely state will take over. History had shown. We used to have TTY relay service provided by FCC, now who runs them? eh, state run system.

If all text relay is gone so it will be very likely for FCC to set the government-run relay service.

Its called, ahem "Political". That Deaf guy up in the upper management at FCC does not have full power, only tweety tiny power. He is obligated to follow the law set by congress so his hands are tied.

If we got a Deaf man working high up in the FCC, why are they making these stupid decisions?

Hold your horse! Sorenson STILL provide VRS. SorensonVRS are here to stay (I estimate up to 5 years from now, afterwards up in the air and it applies to all of VRS providers as well).

ONLY SIPrelay which is IP based relay service provided by Sorenson is going to close.

interesting.. bye bye, Sorenson.. hello, ZVRS

Its called, ahem "Political". That Deaf guy up in the upper management at FCC does not have full power, only tweety tiny power. He is obligated to follow the law set by congress so his hands are tied.

I dunno if you know this but FCC Chairman is one of the most powerful people in government. Kevin Martin was probably the youngest chairman in FCC history.... and one of the most powerful & influential person in IT world. He basically had a complete power over a specific band spectrum (700 MHz) for mobile broadband and he gets to choose who will have it. that's why you AT&T & Verizon customers are now enjoying LTE technology.... mind you - this is a multi-billion dollars gold mine. that's just how powerful a FCC Chairman is....

FCC Chairman MAKES a recommendation to Congress... not the other way around.

He was referred to Mr. Hilbok who is Deaf (See post #37), wanted know why he don't have much power involved. Mr. Hilbok's boss is the chairperson and he has to abide the orders from chairperson and don't have much power to change chairperson's mind. The chairperson you mentioned is not Deaf, he is just another hearing person that don't fully understand the Deaf and their needs.

Lately, there are video that was host by Mr. Hilbok who works for FCC in management level about recent FCC ruling. What he said had to be approved first, if his boss don't like it, he had to change it so he don't have much authority and can not leak information where it may be classified by FCC. Same with President of the United states,, his speech has to be approved by others not himself.

I dunno if you know this but FCC Chairman is one of the most powerful people in government. Kevin Martin was probably the youngest chairman in FCC history.... and one of the most powerful & influential person in IT world. He basically had a complete power over a specific band spectrum (700 MHz) for mobile broadband and he gets to choose who will have it. that's why you AT&T & Verizon customers are now enjoying LTE technology.... mind you - this is a multi-billion dollars gold mine. that's just how powerful a FCC Chairman is....

FCC Chairman MAKES a recommendation to Congress... not the other way around.

He was referred to Mr. Hilbok who is Deaf (See post #37), wanted know why he don't have much power involved.
of COURSE not he doesn't have much power.... because he's not the top boss.

Mr. Hilbok's boss is the chairperson and he has to abide the orders from chairperson and don't have much power to change chairperson's mind.
then that contradicts your previous post... he has to follow what FCC decided on... not what Congress says.

The chairperson you mentioned is not Deaf, he is just another hearing person that don't fully understand the Deaf and their needs.
he may not be a top boss but he IS Chief of the FCC's Disability Rights Office. He CAN influence Chairman's mind and apparently Mr. Hilbok is not doing a good job influencing Chairman's decision and lobbying for the deaf people.

Lately, there are video that was host by Mr. Hilbok who works for FCC in management level about recent FCC ruling. What he said had to be approved first, if his boss don't like it, he had to change it so he don't have much authority and can not leak information where it may be classified by FCC. Same with President of the United states,, his speech has to be approved by others not himself.
I'm just giving you a clearer picture about FCC.

Congress made the law, and hand down to FCC, and FCC is obligated to follow the law that was created by congress. FCC can't violate law that was created by Congress.

Where do you think the laws coming from?

of COURSE not he doesn't have much power.... because he's not the top boss.

then that contradicts your previous post... he has to follow what FCC decided on... not what Congress says.

he may not be a top boss but he IS Chief of the FCC's Disability Rights Office. He CAN influence Chairman's mind and apparently Mr. Hilbok is not doing a good job influencing Chairman's decision and lobbying for the deaf people.

I'm just giving you a clearer picture about FCC.

The chairperson you mentioned is not Deaf, he is just another hearing person that don't fully understand the Deaf and their needs.

btw... I doubt that otherwise.... why would Chairman hire a deaf person for this seat? duh.

Congress made the law, and hand down to FCC, and FCC is obligated to follow the law that was created by congress. FCC can't violate law that was created by Congress.

Where do you think the laws coming from?

huh? what law are you talking about?

Relay Services | National Association of the Deaf

Imagine asking your neighbors to order a pizza for you, call your doctor, or tell your boss that you are sick today. Nationwide relay services – which connect telephone users with people who are deaf or hard of hearing – were not required until the passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in 1990. The NAD played an important role in obtaining this provision during the drafting of the ADA. The NAD continues to work hard to ensure full access to the telephone system – addressing issues such as quality, funding, technology development and research, and universal access.

The ADA defines relay services as telephone services that enable people who are deaf or hard of hearing, or who have a speech impairment, to communicate with a person who can hear in a manner that is “functionally equivalent” to the ability of an individual without a disability to communicate by telephone.

The ADA required the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to develop and enforce relay service regulations that encourage “the use of existing technology and do not discourage or impair the development of improved technology.” The FCC has used this directive as a means to improve relay services and foster the development of new technology so relay users are not left behind as these technological advancements occur.

Who created and passed ADA law, FCC? Your comical!

Relay Services | National Association of the Deaf

Imagine asking your neighbors to order a pizza for you, call your doctor, or tell your boss that you are sick today. Nationwide relay services – which connect telephone users with people who are deaf or hard of hearing – were not required until the passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in 1990. The NAD played an important role in obtaining this provision during the drafting of the ADA. The NAD continues to work hard to ensure full access to the telephone system – addressing issues such as quality, funding, technology development and research, and universal access.

The ADA defines relay services as telephone services that enable people who are deaf or hard of hearing, or who have a speech impairment, to communicate with a person who can hear in a manner that is “functionally equivalent” to the ability of an individual without a disability to communicate by telephone.

The ADA required the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to develop and enforce relay service regulations that encourage “the use of existing technology and do not discourage or impair the development of improved technology.” The FCC has used this directive as a means to improve relay services and foster the development of new technology so relay users are not left behind as these technological advancements occur.

Who created and passed ADA law, FCC? Your comical!
and you've just basically proved my point.... FCC regulates it and has pretty much a full authority over it.... not Congress.

Thud!

Guess I will be back to you in 4 years from now.

what does that have to do with this thread?

and you've just basically proved my point.... FCC regulates it and has pretty much a full authority over it.... not Congress.

Thud!

Guess I will be back to you in 4 years from now.
yep. come back when you're better informed.... you really did not answer my question at all. you were just making a blanket general statement.

Have you ever work INSIDE relay service provider before?

I have for almost 6 years. Those you see as trainers and installers don't have access to inside company, they do not know much. How can I be not informed?

yep. come back when you're better informed....

Have you ever work INSIDE relay service provider before?

I have for almost 6 years. Those you see as trainers and installers don't have access to inside company, they do not know much. How can I be not informed?

I'm not interested in relay service provider. That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about FCC and Congress. You seem to have a misguided idea about it.

so what law are you talking about? Please be specific.

This proves that you know NOTHING what is actually going on. I know whats going on for years. And yes this has to do with regulations, congress and finally FRAUD as well. Its EVERYTHING, can't shell everything out and focus on one problem in attempt to solve entire issues.

Which do you care about, Relay service or FCC/Congress BS?

Tell you this, the relay service is eroding really bad. Its on time bomb and I predict about 4 years from now, we might only have one or two VRS left and the quality WILL suffer permanently because no other company will be willing to risk losing money by jumping in relay business. From over 50 providers to less than 6? Can you see whats happening?

Whats concern is that once we hit only two providers. They may not be able to handle the call volume, and new regulation "Average answer" must be no more than 30 seconds at 85% of time. If relay provider failed to meet that quota, they will NOT get any penny from FCC for entire month, and it CAN bankrupt the provider easily.

I'm not interested in relay service provider. That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about FCC and Congress. You seem to have a misguided idea about it.

so what law are you talking about? Please be specific.

This proves that you know NOTHING what is actually going on. I know whats going on for years. And yes this has to do with regulations, congress and finally FRAUD as well. Its EVERYTHING, can't shell everything out and focus on one problem in attempt to solve entire issues.

Which do you care about, Relay service or FCC/Congress BS?
you're not answering my question. let me repeat once more very slowly....

what.... law.... are.... you.... talking.... about? because you said "He [Mr. Hilbock] is obligated to follow the law set by congress so his hands are tied."

Tell you this, the relay service is eroding really bad. Its on time bomb and I predict about 4 years from now, we might only have one or two VRS left and the quality WILL suffer permanently because no other company will be willing to risk losing money by jumping in relay business. From over 50 providers to less than 6? Can you see whats happening?

Whats concern is that once we hit only two providers. They may not be able to handle the call volume, and new regulation "Average answer" must be no more than 30 seconds at 85% of time. If relay provider failed to meet that quota, they will NOT get any penny from FCC for entire month, and it CAN bankrupt the provider easily.
dude. business 101. merger & acquisition... ever heard of it? look at airlines and telecoms. there you go.

Back