Sorenson patent

qwerty123

Reaction score
new sorenson patent on VRS announced in Salt Lake Tribune newspaper today am

"Method and system for call restoration in a video relay service". Patent # 7,016,479. Granted on March 21, 2006

US patent

According to the patent description and its 20 different claims, Sorenson "invented" VRS.

A total blow to HOVRS who claimed that they invented first!

This VRS patent bring to Sorenson a total of TWO patents related to the videophone/relay business field. ONE for the VRS as show above. ONE for the videophone technology from 2005 6,909,748

Next move? Sorenson now has the VRS patent and will go after all of the VRS relay service providers to cough up royalty license fees. Wishing a very best luck to those VRS providers! :type:

Qwerty, did you read the references and everything? How did you conclude that they "invented" VRS?

First, the state of Texas with Sprint and CSD developed VRS first in 1995, not Sorenson.

http://deafbase.com/article914.html

Second, in the patent's references, cite patent number 6,683,937 that references relay call centers for video. That's VRS right there.

Third, there is prior art that VRS long existed before this patent was issued. It's like copying an idea then patenting it after everyone is using it and various other people copied it. So, this patent either is bogus or talking about something else that you didn't address. Sorenson is not the inventor of VRS. Therefore, no lawsuits will happen.

if sorenson holds the patent on VRS, who invented it means exactly nothing.

Thomas Edison did not invent the lightbulb...he was the first to patent it.

whoever holds the patent has the rights to do what they wish with it until the patent runs out...regardless of who "really invented it first".

i dunno if what this guy posted is in fact true, but if it is, then sorenson will have total control of VRS systems until the patent runs out.

That's not true. If an invention is known or is being used by someone in the United States, another person who makes the same invention at a later date may not obtain a patent. VRS was definitely invented or created by others before Sorenson did.

This patent is not about VRS as a whole. It is about a tiny part of VRS, which looks to me that they are patenting the way that people keep calling them and calling them and calling them and calling them until a VRS interpreter answers. That's a SILLY patent.

Dennis said:
Qwerty, did you read the references and everything? How did you conclude that they "invented" VRS?

First, the state of Texas with Sprint and CSD developed VRS first in 1995, not Sorenson.

http://deafbase.com/article914.html

Second, in the patent's references, cite patent number 6,683,937 that references relay call centers for video. That's VRS right there.

Third, there is prior art that VRS long existed before this patent was issued. It's like copying an idea then patenting it after everyone is using it and various other people copied it. So, this patent either is bogus or talking about something else that you didn't address. Sorenson is not the inventor of VRS. Therefore, no lawsuits will happen.

Dennis, me afraid that most your claim would have dismissed because several factors. one instance, the deafbase article is hearsay

A patent is an art of invention on something. If Sorenson invents VRS they receive a patent. If Sorenson did NOT invent VRS, then they can't receive a patent. If Sorenson rely on prior arts as you claimed, they couldn't even receive a patent. Patent rules are pretty much clear cut at pateint office

The patent you cite define a PC terminal and POTS telephone. You won't find it at any of the VRS call centers nor users So, this patent doesn't practically fit in the current society mold nicely. think this patent as good as wall hanging award plastered with other merits awards certifications don't forget add toilet paper college degrees

Sorenson patent got define the LDAP and DNS through broadband internet. You will find this patent so nicely match on your vp100 D-Link vp and webcam. So, this patent is practically good use as we type. ding, valid and working patent

Me buy monster sized bowl popcorn see what the next chess move :popcorn:

Sorenson just armed with the VRS patent and then before July 1 for unblocking other vrs providers what you think sorenson will do next 4 recious timing months in between? Me bet on ace that Sorenson choke will all other VRS providers to come up royalty fees before July 1st or lose their VRS business to patent infringement litigation. A smart chess move as Sorenson is alway two steps ahead

hi nonsorenson VRS providers brace yourself go run and hide if you need
:type:

Dennis is right about CSD and Sprint as VRS was born in Texas. But who owns VRS right ? No one ? True ?...

Now Sorenson got the patents. Wow... Do CSD and Sprint have a patent of any kind on VRS ?

It would be very interesting to see how the patents work.

Nope. Looks like I was right when I said, "This patent is not about VRS as a whole. It is about a tiny part of VRS, which looks to me that they are patenting the way that people keep calling them and calling them and calling them and calling them until a VRS interpreter answers. That's a SILLY patent."

In the patent text:

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE SEVERAL VIEWS OF THE DRAWINGS

In the drawings, which illustrate what is currently considered to be the best mode for carrying out the invention:

FIG. 1 illustrates a hearing-impaired communication system, in accordance with an embodiment of the present invention;

FIG. 2 illustrates a simplified block diagram of a hearing-impaired communication system, in accordance with an embodiment of the present invention;

FIG. 3 is a functional block diagram of a video relay service configured for operation with a hearing-impaired communication system;

FIG. 4 is a flow diagram of call restoration within a video relay service, in accordance with an embodiment of the present invention; and

FIG. 5 is a flow diagram of processing a call request, in accordance with an embodiment of the present invention.

They are not saying they invented VRS. They are saying that this is how their invention, the "Call Restoration" process works within a VRS, so that if someone else used VRS in a similar way and then used their invention, they could then sue for infringement.

Well, hey, I agree -- they SHOULD sue people who make their customers frustrated and try to call many times on VP. :)

Sorenson can have their 15 minutes of fame and in 10-15 yrs the need for VRS will be completely gone.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
Sorenson can have their 15 minutes of fame and in 10-15 yrs the need for VRS will be completely gone.
I find this train of thought fascinating and scary, at the same time! :shock:

What do you mean by the 'need' for VRS vanishing in 10-15 years? Do you mean there'll be other technologies that will replace the medium of communication? Or that the FCC will yank funding?

Or, from what I'm reading you, you're insinuating that Deaf people using ASL will shrink in the near future. Admittedly, this is one major reason why I haven't gone back into Deaf human services because my career wouldn't be as secure. And is a major reason why if I ever go into business, I'll have to serve mainstream clients. Exclusively serving Deaf clients in my line of business is like taking a vow of poverty! :)

I have mixed feelings about this, because I truly love ASL and can't bear the thought that, in the future, there will be less and less people using it. Unlike ostriches burying their heads into the sand, I need to confront this possibility and make personal and professional decisions accordingly.

Eyeth said:
I have mixed feelings about this, because I truly love ASL and can't bear the thought that, in the future, there will be less and less people using it. Unlike ostriches burying their heads into the sand, I need to confront this possibility and make personal and professional decisions accordingly.

:topic:

Ostriches do not bury their heads in sand at the first signal of danger. This is a classic myth that has no solid evidence, not even empirical observations, to confirm it. Such a behavorial demonstration would be detrimental to the survival of the species in the long run. Wouldn't you think so?

Eyeth said:
Or, from what I'm reading you, you're insinuating that Deaf people using ASL will shrink in the near future. Admittedly, this is one major reason why I haven't gone back into Deaf human services because my career wouldn't be as secure. And is a major reason why if I ever go into business, I'll have to serve mainstream clients. Exclusively serving Deaf clients in my line of business is like taking a vow of poverty! :)

Exactly. The deaf communities have been in the business of embarrasing themselves by picking on deaf people who act as bridges between the deaf and hearing communities. They in turn made ASL more of a political weapon than a communication language and the result is we are seeing is the metaphorical AG Bell version of the Final Solution to the deafnes question.

How we deal with this we've expanded our offerings to additional disabilities than strictly deafness.

me_punctured said:
Ostriches do not bury their heads in sand at the first signal of danger. This is a classic myth that has no solid evidence, not even empirical observations, to confirm it. Such a behavorial demonstration would be detrimental to the survival of the species in the long run. Wouldn't you think so?
Heh. If it were true, ostriches would've been long gone before the dodo's were wiped off the face of the earth. :) Can I weasel out of this by feebly claiming it was a figure of speech on my part? :whistle:

Back