Sooooo FRUSTRATING!!!! I hate my new hearing aid.

candybrowneyes- I'm not just quitting on them. I've been trying to get used to digital aids since 2003. I've worn an analog aid my whole life - from when I was 4 years old until I was 24 when I switched to digital. I'm 29 now. It can't take this long to get used to digital. I put on my analog and I was able to do things I hadn't done since I switched from that to my last digital: tell the difference in quality between different audio devices (speakers, TV, radio, etc.), tell the difference in quality between sound formats (WAV, MP3, etc.) tell with 100% certainty the directionality of where sound was coming from, able to understand speech and music effortlessly no matter how quiet it was or how far away it was, etc.

When I put my analog aid on for the first time this year, I could do all that again and more until it went bust. I discovered I hadn't lost more hearing - I regained it by going back to the type of hearing aid I used my whole life. I realize digital hearing aids are good...I understand my own frustrations with the digitals now and why they aren't working. However, they're not good for me if they don't help me 100% with my daily life like an analog can. And it can't take a decade just to get used to them when, though throughout your entire life your brain was trained and grew up with analog hearing aids in one ear.

For me, I don't hate it. I love all the sound and don't want to miss anything. I love hearing the engine. I love and want to hear every sound that comes in no matter what. I don't want my hearing aid to block out noise. That's pointless - all it does is make it even harder for me to understand and hear -which is the ultimate goal of any hearing instrument is it not?

Moon-child- You are certainly correct. I would probably still be in the mode of "no hearing aid can help me" with "there is no hope for my left ear" had I not found these forums. There are people here with my same situation that have had the same story spoon fed to them their whole life and ended up proving everyone wrong. This forum is a wealth of information and support for those in our situation. I logon nearly every day if I can unless I'm too busy. I probably never would have found out about the Cochlear Implant or many different things about hearing aids if I didn't find out about these forums.

Everyone: Of course, I'm not getting my hopes up regarding the hearing aids and their ability to help (or not help). I just want to know and understand why everyone in authority believes so steadfastly that they won't help. How can you know they won't help unless you try it?! At least then we'll know for certain and I'll drop the issue.

I'll certainly be keeping everyone updated on the results! :)

EDIT: New issue. I can't even hear the fan on my dry 'n store anymore with the digital. I could hear it just fine with the analogs I was using.

Well, what I understand is that digital aids are good for you, and I am happy you were able to get them to work for you. Some of us prefer analog, to us, they are good for us. I am grateful to have the choice.

I wasn't telling you to pick one over another, I was merely saying some people need to give them a chance before they just give up on them due to frustration.

I didnt realize it had been that long, I thought you had just gotten them.. You certainly know what you like and I wish you luck.

EDIT: New issue. I can't even hear the fan on my dry 'n store anymore with the digital. I could hear it just fine with the analogs I was using.

:lol: That's quite an issue. It is news to me that anyone could hear a fan on a dry and store machine. I check the green and blue lights. Had no idea there was a sound.

:lol: That's quite an issue. It is news to me that anyone could hear a fan on a dry and store machine. I check the green and blue lights. Had no idea there was a sound.

Ditto :P After I got my Naida hearing aid I was surprised at how loud some ordinary things were, I felt like a bomb went off after I set down a glass :shock:

Anyways, it sounds like compression (check for moisture/wax in the tubes first.) I eventually had the compression turned down to 20% because everything sounded muted and unrealistic.

I am sorry candybrowneyes, I meant no offense, my words were strong and I apologize for that. I guess my frustration is leaking out to people, my bad. Forgive me?

Is it just mine or do they have a hard time shutting correctly? I have to push it in and out usually 4/5 times before the red light turns off.

Is it just mine or do they have a hard time shutting correctly? I have to push it in and out usually 4/5 times before the red light turns off.

How old is your Dry and Store? I've had my Dry and Store for the past 4 years yet I only have to push the button once.

By the way, out of curiosity, what do the green and red lights mean?

Hear Again, The blue light (this is global dri and store provided by Cochlear) is the germidace (sp) light that kills bugs it lasts about one minute and it's below the on button and the green light means the box is on it goes on for about 8 hours hence the vibration feel (fan) and it's above the on button.

Hear again how can you tell if the dri brick is out of date? there is moving red line on it when it's full it means it need changing. It lasts roughly 2 months.

Haven't heard of mockingbird's problem, must be of different make.

Hear again how can you tell if the dri brick is out of date? there is moving red line on it when it's full it means it need changing. It lasts roughly 2 months.

:ty: for the explanation about what the Dry and Store lights mean. :)

My CI audi told me that the dry bricks need to be replaced every 2 months, so this is when I change them. To make things easier on myself, I change them on the first of the month. I also buy 6 at a time so I always have them available when needed.

I don't have a red light either, but I think your latch must have a problem. I only need to push down the lid and push the button one time.

Phi-- I'm sorry you're having trouble w/your new HA... I know how excited you were with it... hope it gets better!!

The red light means that you have the professional version of the Dry & Store which uses the copper strip on the bricks to sense that there is a brick installed otherwise the machine will not start. You can try cleaning the springs that contacts the copper strip on the bricks. It may be possible that the door switch is dirty or going bad. I have that version and cleaning the springs helps.

Yep

Hi guys, I'm 29..been wearing hearing aids all my life, and digitals since 2004. I originally had Siemens Acuris P and loved them. They had the sound of analog yet I could have a program for environment to block out background noise. I could also hook up my cord and boot to my iPod.

Well my cat put an end to lives after biting right through them and now I'm on my 2nd trial of new digital hearing aids. I'm so frustrated that I went on google and typed "I hate my new digital hearing aids" and this forum popped up.

After reading the original thread, I felt I had to register to show my support and let you know you're not the only one who feels this way.

NOTHING sounds right. When I close my truck door, it sounds muffled...it doesn't sound right! Why would I want a digital aid to manipulate what the real sound sounds like? Compression, clarity my ass.

I tried the Nadias..hated em...I'm on Unitron (A Canadian company) NEXT 16p now and although they are better than the Nadias, they still aren't doing the job.

I'm going back to my audi next week and I'm going to give her 3 criteria.

1) Amplify the sound without any interference
2) 3 programs. background noise, music, and telephone.
3) I want them to change/sync at the same time. I don't want to have to press the button on each aid.

That's it. Don't give me your compression, waterproofing, wind resistance, automatic telephone, feedback cancellation...whatever. All this extra crap is doing more harm than good. And driving up the cost to boot.

Back