Sonic Alert Doorbell subsitute

purplecatty

Reaction score
I have SA Doorbell (transmitter) connect to 16v doorbell system and SA Doorbell receiver (long rectangular box with speaker, power output socket and sound on/off swithc). I have not used SA doobell for long time and finally using it. Now it's having problems. It's not responsive as it used to be. it's still "new" itself. Reason why because my kids kept unplugging SA doorbell receiver to use lamp or charge phone ect. Eventually gave up and put in drawer of sofa table and sits in there for few years.

Now, I can't really use Doorbell signaller anymore even it's still new. Look like they had some kind of parts that "fails" just over little use. I don't appreciate that at all. They don't care about emergency if call 911 and emergency personnel rings doorbell and device don't even alerts us anymore. That's very worrying. It seem like I cannot trust any Alerting device anymore because they do not last long and not reliable. It seem like devices design to fail within few years of usage so Deafie have to buy new one or get free from VR or TAP every time so Companies that sells them line $$$ into their pocket. Im not willing return product for repair and they asked too much $$..

So I am just pissed off over short lifespan of Deaf products today. We Deafie are NOT Millioniare!!! I wish we can speak out and lash out Alerting company to stop taking advantage our $$ and lousy products. If I were millionaire, I would form company only hire Deaf and design very reliable products that last many years and cheaper prices to take out many Hearing owned Alerting companies. So many deaf on SSI/SSDI can afford package for less than $40 or replacements less than $10...

I decide to use Wireless Decoration light switch (remote have 3 on/off buttons with LEDs) and 3 plug in receivers with power output socket under it bought it from Target store during Christmas season. It's more reliable and better than nothing. I hung it by Doorbell so anyone want to ring me just to press ON button and it'll alert me. Cost.... $15.

I don't mean to be a cheapskate but it's something works to alert me and more reliable.

OOh BTW, I have bucket full of broken SA products all 30 years worth. (baby cry, doorbell, telephone, many receivers). Many are old and can be repaired to become useful.. No kidding!

I hear you about the doorbell signaller. Once I was away for days and the light was flashing all that time.

BTW, hang onto the bucket of goodies. There is a market for it.

I bought one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Color-Li...963070?hash=item2a87bd663e:g:bfwAAOSwqfNXpFtZ last fall and so far am happy with it. I consider the use of common size batteries for both the signal button (AAA for the signal) and the receiver (AA for receiver) a real plus. That is one of the things I really looked hoping it existed. Another thing is you don't have to find an outlet for the receiver that is both open and visiable when it flashes.

I'll have to come back here if I ever move out again and in an apartment. I did have a sonic alert (or something- it was 20 years ago)... that one did burn out for some reason- it worked great but 'browned' on the transmitter. I don't know if the products today are better.

My sonic boom alarm clock on the other hand is still chugging along- I got it as a gift Christmas 2001. Right now I'm looking for ways to wake up while I'm in Utah- downside is that I will be paired with a hearing roommate. Flashing lights... vibrating (loud ones...lol) might irritate them. SO looking for travel alarm options. Might try phone apps - one I've tried has a habit of not going off and can't afford to miss class- :eek:. Am afraid that vibrating travel alarms won't wake me- plus I move around too much so alarm will shift around lol.

I bought one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Color-Li...963070?hash=item2a87bd663e:g:bfwAAOSwqfNXpFtZ last fall and so far am happy with it. I consider the use of common size batteries for both the signal button (AAA for the signal) and the receiver (AA for receiver) a real plus. That is one of the things I really looked hoping it existed. Another thing is you don't have to find an outlet for the receiver that is both open and visiable when it flashes.
That's good one! Chinese sells those far cheaper and It's better than nothing. runs on battery. It's easy to know when battery runs low. I do know that it last longer than SA because it have nothing to overheat or fails over the time. Low voltage electronics don't fails. You can always tear it apart and modify in your own way!! Smart move!

I'll have to come back here if I ever move out again and in an apartment. I did have a sonic alert (or something- it was 20 years ago)... that one did burn out for some reason- it worked great but 'browned' on the transmitter. I don't know if the products today are better.

My sonic boom alarm clock on the other hand is still chugging along- I got it as a gift Christmas 2001. Right now I'm looking for ways to wake up while I'm in Utah- downside is that I will be paired with a hearing roommate. Flashing lights... vibrating (loud ones...lol) might irritate them. SO looking for travel alarm options. Might try phone apps - one I've tried has a habit of not going off and can't afford to miss class- :eek:. Am afraid that vibrating travel alarms won't wake me- plus I move around too much so alarm will shift around lol.

I used to have Sonic boom clock. It failed after 2 years of usage. Lightening damaged it. Actually alot of appliance in my house works fine except for SA Sonic Boom (I checked its circuit board and wondering why it's so sensitive to lightening. It did not have power spike arrestor just like any other electronic appliance and it use cheap, flaky electronics which is why it fails so easily). My house have underground power line. I assume that It hit above ground power line a block from my subdivision and travels to underground power line which cause power spike (Telephone line stops and 3 wires rigged down directly to underground power line for entire subdivision). . funny thing a year later, my wife's SA Sonic Boom also failed on same thing. She got it free from TAP. I reverted back to my old reliable "antique" Radio Shack Digital Timer of 80's. It kept chugging along and very solid regardless. I still have it even its shell case broke and still works anyway. I got a old digital clock radio from my parent which is early 90's clock and still works. I tore apart and removed radio board (clock have separate system tho) and added Relay, socket, and switch. Now it's as reliable as old Radio Shack Digital Timer. No issue. So at least I have reliable clock to wake me up every time. I have old SA vibrator came with broken SA Sonic Boom clock. I modified wire so I connected 12v "wall wart" to it and plugged it back of my clock. Works very well. No issue.

Back in 80's. Radio Shack used to sell 7 days Timer for $79. I didn't have money to buy but was vying for it because I can set each day different wake up time and heard it's so reliable too. They stopped selling it year after I got plenty of money to buy it Unfortunately didn't grab it in time.. My friend had one and I helped her to set it up. I was a little jealous about that. Lot of old appliances of 70's, 80's and early 90's are so reliable than today.

I used to have battery powered alarm clock that I modified to work with white LED lights instead of sound. It works okay but not that reliable. I bought Shake n Wake SA battery powered clock. It works for a while then it fails in few month, switch were flaky and breaks easily, vibrator motor became weak after fequent usage regardless if put fresh batteries in. I threw it away. I even had vibrating wrist watch and last me 5 months and it failed. My friend who from Ireland told me that it's a Chinese crap. None of vibrating wrist watch lasts. He tried em all and all fails.

I'm very good in modifying electronics. I usually keep few good junks and modify to make it useful. Not only electronics, I even do lot of mods on my Cruiser Motorcycle such as swapping out jets, shim needle, lower shock, removed smog control to expose more part of engine and did some other mods. I leads Deaf Biker packs and I'm the fastest in the group LOL. Flick of throttle and I'm already at next stop light and group of Biker still catching up on me at some distance. :rofl:

Catty

Alas I'm not great with modifying electronics etc... noooo nooo probably electrocute myself lol.

I do also have a Radio Shack digital clock with a plug in the back for either lamp or vibrator (in fact I think two- one is packed in a box and somehow the other got co-opted by my parents as it's sitting in the green guest room lol)- both of them still work time wise but it's been years since either was used as a alerting device.

I ended up getting a Sonic Alert Traveler alarm- small thing. Vibrator puck is small but has a bit of a punch so I think it will wake me (I hope). 12v. Most travel vibrators are only 6v.

Yup Better than nothing having SA Traveler alarm.

I agree with you that you don't want to get electrocuted. Yes, I did get electrocuted many time over and even shorted it blowing up the project accidently. I had voltmeter on stick (Radio Shack stick voltmeter/ohm meter ) and I did tried to test water heater at Apartment after Maintenance replaced upper heater core, I touched the probe (voltmeter supposed to work with up to 400 volts) and ended up M-80 like bright flash thunder explosion :eek2: that knocked me to ground still holding it. I was freaked out and voltmeter main probe was burnt. Still works but will not register voltage or Ohm so I threw it away. learned hard lesson not to use small Voltmeter to measure 220V. LOLOL

People complain that I often am apparently not home when they ring my doorbell in the early afternoon. That is generally my naptime. I now have a note on my door that says that if I do not respond, knock on my bedroom window. A year and a half ago, when I moved in, the manager and I tested the doorbell, and it seemed adequate, unaided. Houston, we have a problem.

Yup Better than nothing having SA Traveler alarm.

I agree with you that you don't want to get electrocuted. Yes, I did get electrocuted many time over and even shorted it blowing up the project accidently. I had voltmeter on stick (Radio Shack stick voltmeter/ohm meter ) and I did tried to test water heater at Apartment after Maintenance replaced upper heater core, I touched the probe (voltmeter supposed to work with up to 400 volts) and ended up M-80 like bright flash thunder explosion :eek2: that knocked me to ground still holding it. I was freaked out and voltmeter main probe was burnt. Still works but will not register voltage or Ohm so I threw it away. learned hard lesson not to use small Voltmeter to measure 220V. LOLOL

:eek: :eek2: DAMN! I'm not electronics minded but even I know that's an OW moment to do that LOL.

Back