Something my mother found in an old box

KristinaB

Emotional Mess
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope these come out okay. My mom has been slowly, in her lucid moments, going through stuff and before I let her throw things away, I double-check it all. These are some things she was going to throw out and I kept. How do I find out their worth, if anything? Dad got these during the Korean Conflict when he was stationed in Japan.

Front side
Military Money Foreign0002.jpg

Back side
Military Money Foreign0001.jpg

1 dollar
Military Money Foreign0003.jpg

10 cents
Military Money Foreign0004.jpg

A coin dealership will tell you the face value but not an honest worth value, An auction dealer will tell you approximately they will bring but they charge 30-50% to sell them so you actually wont fare well at all, if you know of an antique appraiser they may appraise it and if interested they will buy it ( they know collectors and what they can get, so usually they will pay close to 75% of what its worth so they make a profit with very little effort.

I used to have books as well as tons of collectable coins/bills, My sister stole it out of the home safe when her and her ex stayed at my parents, otherwise I could have looked up the value for you. My parents as well as I are still PO'd she stole for that loser from her own family.
I had gold coins from the 1800's, gold notes and tons of silver notes/coins as well as jewelry in the safe.

Originally mom was saving these for one of my brothers, but he stole a bunch of stuff from her and also from me, so that she doesn't feel he deserves these. She also mentioned that I deserve whatever I can get from any of her stuff to pay back what she puts me through and the fact that my brothers don't help. She has dementia (not the alzheimer's variety) and her lucid moments are less and less.

Very cool!

I would do some research on line before contacting dealers so that you can judge whether or not what they are telling you sounds correct.

I'm going thru a similar situation. When my elderly neighbor was preparing for her move after her husband died, she found a lot of old coins, American and foreign, in his stuff. She didn't want to carry all those heavy coins with her on the plane, so she left them with us to sell for her. I've sorted the coins and have been doing research about them. I believe I've found a reputable dealer, and will soon be getting in contact with them. Still, I'm somewhat apprehensive about it.

We've also found some photos of Dad while he was working for Pacific Stars & Stripes as a Linotype operator. I am going to put together a scrapbook of all his Military stuff including copies of the legal papers such as his release papers and all.

In this same box, was a letter he wrote my mother in a journal style from before they were engaged.

you can go to any international bank to exchange the bills to US dollars and coins.

you can go to any international bank to exchange the bills to US dollars and coins.

Well - considering this is not the usual currency you exchange, the US banks will not be able to exchange it. This is Military Money, put out by the Military and what I have was issued during the Korean War. This is NOT money that goes through a typical bank. This also includes the foreign bill that I have. These are considered to be collectibles and not legal tender.

Well - considering this is not the usual currency you exchange, the US banks will not be able to exchange it. This is Military Money, put out by the Military and what I have was issued during the Korean War. This is NOT money that goes through a typical bank. This also includes the foreign bill that I have. These are considered to be collectibles and not legal tender.
Right. You don't want to make a currency exchange anyway because you would only get face value for it. You want to sell to a collector or dealer, if at all.

If you do decide to sell but want something to put in the scrapbook, I suggest making high quality scanned copies (single sided) for the scrapbook.

Back