Somalian Pirates = terrorists? Obama a coward? I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no definition for terrorism/terrorists. You can butt heads all day long to put them in or out of a meaningless classification, but I'm going to call them pirates.

This has nothing with cowboy factor of Obama or Bush to do. Somalis have been watchin large trawlers empty the sea outside somalia after the collapse in the 90's. Then the coastline was used as wastedump for toxic materials from other parts of the world, largely directed by the italian mafia. Somalis living near sea was posioned.

Somebody got the idea that the sea had to be controlled, and tried to force foreign cargo boats and trawlers to pay taxes, like all other countries would do. This later became an important source to get money to buy more weapons from greedy warfactories in the western world.

As long the world threat somalia like this, I see no reason to ask them stop to get a few dollars from rich and greedy corporcations and countries that prey the coastline of a country suffering, instead of trying to solve the problems in somalia without own interests.

Those somalis reminds more of the robin hood gang than criminals.

Go pirates!

There's no definition for terrorism/terrorists. You can butt heads all day long to put them in or out of a meaningless classification, but I'm going to call them pirates.

damn right! YYYARRRRGGGGHHHH

pirate_parrot.png

That has happened before and it happened again, which I'm not surprised. It's kinda like modern day pirates unlike in the old times with that "yarrrrr" going on and all the cannonball guns.

That has happened before and it happened again, which I'm not surprised. It's kinda like modern day pirates unlike in the old times with that "yarrrrr" going on and all the cannonball guns.

Despite the evilness of it, I think it would be more interesting and newsworthy if they used cannons and dressed up like the pirates from the ol' days along with parrots on their shoulders going yarrrr.

Not to mention it should be a requirement for every ship to have at least one person with a peg leg.

Just a thought.

It's much better than having pirates with bazookas going off. That's pretty scary.

despite the evilness of it, i think it would be more interesting and newsworthy if they used cannons and dressed up like the pirates from the ol' days along with parrots on their shouldesr going yarrrr.

Not to mention it should be a requirement for every ship to have at least one person with a peg leg.

Just a thought.

It's much better than having pirates with bazookas going off. That's pretty scary.

lol!

Just because all terrorists are criminals does not means that all criminals are terrorists. Since the pirates do not seem to be involed with politics, ideals or religion this disqualfies them from being terrorists. I'd classify this as international crime.

It's classified under economics.

This has nothing with cowboy factor of Obama or Bush to do. Somalis have been watchin large trawlers empty the sea outside somalia after the collapse in the 90's. Then the coastline was used as wastedump for toxic materials from other parts of the world, largely directed by the italian mafia. Somalis living near sea was posioned.

Somebody got the idea that the sea had to be controlled, and tried to force foreign cargo boats and trawlers to pay taxes, like all other countries would do. This later became an important source to get money to buy more weapons from greedy warfactories in the western world.

As long the world threat somalia like this, I see no reason to ask them stop to get a few dollars from rich and greedy corporcations and countries that prey the coastline of a country suffering, instead of trying to solve the problems in somalia without own interests.

Those somalis reminds more of the robin hood gang than criminals.

Go pirates!

Do you have a link supporting your claim about this and not a personal blog?

then we need convince UN to allows countries to have gun attack against pirate, including grenade on international water, only around in Gulf of Aden.

What in this article made you come to that conclusion? Just curious.

No way to stop us, pirate leader says - CNN.com

Somalis have been saying this for more than a decade in european newspapers. I doubt they are organized enough to make a cooperative lie about this.

Thanks for the link. However there is a government connection as the article also states:

Boyah said it is unlikely the Puntland regional government would ever crack down on piracy because government officials are involved in financing the piracy and collect a cut of the ransoms.

"They motivate us. It's their money and their weapons," Boyah said. "Thirty percent belongs to them."

Then it goes on to state:

The Puntland foreign minister, Ali Abdi Aware, denied government involvement with the pirates, including taking bribes. The minister cited the arrest of six pirates earlier this year as evidence it is acting to stop piracy.

Chances are that the pirates are telling the truth about being financed by their regional government........

Thanks for the link. However there is a government connection as the article also states:

Chances are that the pirates are telling the truth about being financed by their regional government........

Where is the proof that the govt is funding piracy?

To me, what the pirate and the goverment seem to do here is to claim they aren't responsible for piracy. I would be really surprised if someone shouted out "I am responsible for this mess". Corruption and war is good friends, so no one should really be surprised about bonds to goverments and warlords.

Clinton labeling pirates as immoral criminals is politics and pep talk. Unfortunately, civilians don't allways understand that.

Where is the proof that the govt is funding piracy?

Looks like the pirates are funding the goverment from the claims, not govt funding piracy. Could make sense as pirates started out collecting taxes from illegal trawlers.

In any case, I don't think that the government (failed state) really objects to having pirates making the seas dangerous for the ships that illegally depleted their waters and dumped oil and other trash (industrial and nuclear waste highly suspected) nor would they have the power to do so if they wanted. Piracy will remain a big issue there until those problems are resolved.

In any case, I don't think that the government (failed state) really objects to having pirates making the seas dangerous for the ships that illegally depleted their waters and dumped oil and other trash (industrial and nuclear waste highly suspected) nor would they have the power to do so if they wanted. Piracy will remain a big issue there until those problems are resolved.

Do you have a link that is supporting the above statement?

BTW Somalia is at high risk at sliding into a famine. We can only expect a rise in piracy especially in this situation where trawlers and waste have emptied the waters for food.

BTW Somalia is at high risk at sliding into a famine. We can only expect a rise in piracy especially in this situation where trawlers and waste have emptied the waters for food.

Glow-in-the-dark fish? Hmmmm.
But seriously, we need to be aware of where the fish we eat come from. Toxic dumping is vastly underreported, and no doubt affect the marine wildlife.
*scratching Somalian fish off my list.*

It's just accusations that the priates are claiming in the name of piracy.

Also this quote I find hard to believe in:
Somali pirates have accused European firms of dumping toxic waste off the Somali coast and are demanding an $8m ransom for the return of a Ukranian ship they captured, saying the money will go towards cleaning up the waste.

Highly unlikely. More likely, we'll continue to buy AK-47's and possible nuclear weapon.

Again, Somalia needs to advocate for itself and form their own government instead of being a "pity me" type of mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back