Somalian Pirates = terrorists? Obama a coward? I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deafskeptic

Premium Member
Reaction score
This morning some guy on World of Warcraft claimed Obama was a coward for negoting with the pirates. This blog appears to the source for his claims.
By Roy Edroso
An FBI hostage negotiation team has been called in on the Somali pirate case we mentioned yesterday. All the American hands are secure and in possession of their vessel except the captain, Richard Phillips. A U.S. Navy guided missile destroyer and other warships have been called to the scene. All of this, as previously reported, proves Obama is a failure. Top rightblogger Instapundit seems at first dismayed that the crew retook the ship ("gets Obama off the hook") but later gloats that "nation-states successfully suppressed pirates for years without such troubles, suggesting that the law has not exactly 'progressed' in this area" -- meaning BigObama government isn't the solution, it's the problem. "Team Obama said they were monitoring the situation," says Gateway Pundit. "No doubt, they are looking for a place to hold talks." Blar har. "Have U.S. ships been spared until now because pirates feared the last president more than they fear this one," asks RedState, "or is it merely coincidence?" Gasp! Unfortunately they fail to provide an imaginary conversation among the pirates ("Theese Obama, he is weak like the woo-man"). More Obama-blaming spin as the situation develops!

I couldn't find any mention of Obama negotating with the pirates on Fox (it sounded like it came from Fox), CNN and BBC so this blog is easliy dismissed as someone's opinon. And then the WoW guy claimed that they were terrorists. I said they were criminals rather than terrorists in my eyes for the following reasons: the pirates do not appear to be motivated by politics, ideals or religon. Yes, all terrorists are criminals but it does not follow that all criminals are terrorists.

While I think the nations that are affected by these pirates should band together to fight them via international military means or other means, I'm interested in what others think should be done about them. I think Obama is handling this well. If you disagree, explain why.. I'd be interested.

I dont think it was literally an terrorist attack. It was a pirate attack...big difference.

So no, it's pointless to blame Obama in this situation when it does NOT involve politics conflicts and such.

ok, the FBI did get sent in to negotiate with the pirates. That doesn't make Obama a coward as we are not dealing with terrorists.

I dont think it was literally an terrorist attack. It was a pirate attack...big difference.

So no, it's pointless to blame Obama in this situation when it does NOT involve politics conflicts and such.

Agreed.

I agree. this is not a terrorist attack. Just your typical ship pirates which have been around for centuries.

to FOX reporters - please kindly stfu and find something else to bitch about. :cool2:

Yup, Somali pirates have been started since first Bush era after fall of communism in Somalia.

I agree. They care about money so that is why they kidnap innocent people and steal valuable cargoes which can be held for ransoms. They are not exactly acts of terrorism in any ways.

I grew up in one of Canada's provinces where the piracy is very common in the 1600s and 1700s. When the pirates are caught off the coast of Newfoundland, they are hanged or gibbeted from yardarms aboard the Royal Navy ships before their arrivals at ports in St. John's and Ferryland. That is why I am familiar with the history of piracy.

There is an ongoing and coordinated international cooperation where some navy ships from some countries such as U.S., Russia, China, India, France, Great Britain and so on sail and monitor a vast area of sea in Indian Ocean where the attacks on merchant ships by pirates are common. They still need more navy ships from other countries to support them since the affected area is so huge.

I agree. this is not a terrorist attack. Just your typical ship pirates which have been around for centuries.

to FOX reporters - please kindly stfu and find something else to bitch about. :cool2:

I disagree. :lol: It's terrorism considering that it's disruptive to commerce, economies and shipping lanes, as well as a violation of international laws by terrorizing multiple ships for ransom.

The difference between these pirates and the pirates from centuries ago is the technological warfare that they are utilizing.

This morning some guy on World of Warcraft claimed Obama was a coward for negoting with the pirates. This blog appears to the source for his claims.

I couldn't find any mention of Obama negotating with the pirates on Fox (it sounded like it came from Fox), CNN and BBC so this blog is easliy dismissed as someone's opinon. And then the WoW guy claimed that they were terrorists. I said they were criminals rather than terrorists in my eyes for the following reasons: the pirates do not appear to be motivated by politics, ideals or religon. Yes, all terrorists are criminals but it does not follow that all criminals are terrorists.

While I think the nations that are affected by these pirates should band together to fight them via international military means or other means, I'm interested in what others think should be done about them. I think Obama is handling this well. If you disagree, explain why.. I'd be interested.

Just goes to show that you don't have to have a high degree of intelligence to play WoW! Most do; obviously some don't.:giggle:

I disagree. :lol: It's terrorism considering that it's disruptive to commerce, economies and shipping lanes, as well as a violation of international laws by terrorizing multiple ships for ransom.

The difference between these pirates and the pirates from centuries ago is the technological warfare that they are utilizing.

I'm afraid I disagree with you on this one. Yes, they're more technology advanced than pirates of old.

Al Capone operated on a much larger scale than most criminals of his day and he used tactics similar to terrorists to drive out and kill those who got in his way. Yet no one would call him a terrorists as he was motivated by greed. He likely had the most advanced technology of his day too. The same can be said for these pirates and Mexican cartels as well.

I second that.

I turned on Fox yesterday morning to see what their take on this was. Long story short, I wasn't surprised at the fact that they blamed Obama. What else is new?

:gpost:

WTF?

Somali pirates aren't terrorists?! Give me a break!

What's the difference between Somali pirates and the terrorist of 9/11?

They both are disruptive to the world economy and commerce. 9/11 terrorists not only killed but disrupted the world's financial markets as many countries had to re-group after their losses in the Twin Towers.

Secondly, the Somali pirates are disrupting shipping lanes which many people depend on for goods, and their livelihood as well as financial. Secondly the Somali pirates have a political agenda which is to cause affliction on those that are contributing members of the global society.

Therefore--they're terrorists.

I think some of you need to take "World Economics 101". :roll:

WTF?

Somali pirates aren't terrorists?! Give me a break!

What's the difference between Somali pirates and the terrorist of 9/11?

They both are disruptive to the world economy and commerce. 9/11 terrorists not only killed but disrupted the world's financial markets as many countries had to re-group after their losses in the Twin Towers.

Secondly, the Somali pirates are disrupting shipping lanes which many people depend on for goods, and their livelihood as well as financial. Secondly the Somali pirates have a political agenda which is to cause affliction on those that are contributing members of the global society.

Therefore--they're terrorists.

I think some of you need to take "World Economics 101". :roll:
Motive is why pirates should not be considered terrorists. They do not appear to be motivated by ideology, politics, or religion. However, I think the military should be brought in because these guys operate on a much larger scale than most criminals due to weak government in their native country.

Motive is why pirates should not be considered terrorists. They do not appear to be motivated by ideology, politics, or religion. However, I think the military should be brought in because these guys operate on a much larger scale than most criminals due to weak government in their native country.

Remember that currently there are 18 cargo ships and over 250 people still being held hostage by these "pirates" (terrorists). :cool2:

Remember that currently there are 18 cargo ships and over 250 people still being held hostage by these "pirates" (terrorists). :cool2:

I would call them terrorists as well!

Reason is, that they have hi jacked ships with German tanks, and other war fares.

WHY???

Something to think about.

Isn't that a terrorist act?

I would call them terrorists as well!

Reason is, that they have hi jacked ships with German tanks, and other war fares.

WHY???

Something to think about.

Isn't that a terrorist act?

Just because all terrorists are criminals does not means that all criminals are terrorists. Since the pirates do not seem to be involed with politics, ideals or religion this disqualfies them from being terrorists. I'd classify this as international crime.

Hence why I think the miltary should be brought in to patrol the seas given the power of these pirates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back