Soft Maps/CI Moment

Hear Again

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm curious if any of you have soft maps in addition to your regular (i.e. louder) map? If so, why do you have it and what do you use it for? I decided to have a soft map added to help reduce my recruitment. I've also found a soft map helpful for whenever I have a migraine or am having a manic episode due to my bipolar.

In addition, I discovered yesterday that soft maps help cut down on the amount of wind noise I hear which is nice because I can concentrate on hearing traffic and other environmental sounds so much better.

I also wanted to share a CI moment I had. As I was putting my key in the door of my apartment complex lobby yesterday, I heard someone with a female voice say "Let me get that for you." There was solid glass between us and I never would have been able to hear this with hearing aids. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that I could clearly hear what was said given the fact that I've had difficulty over the past 4 years understanding female voices whether they were loud or soft. :D

That's awesome lisa! I had a crappy ha moment yesterday lol haha i couldn't figure out where the damn sirens were coming from..good thing i had my hoh grandfather with me who didn't know either hahahaha ahh what can ya do lol

That's awesome lisa! I had a crappy ha moment yesterday lol haha i couldn't figure out where the damn sirens were coming from..good thing i had my hoh grandfather with me who didn't know either hahahaha ahh what can ya do lol

:ty: Alicia! :)

:laugh2:

I hate it when I dont know what the sound is, even though with my CI, it bugs me until I find out what it is by either asking my mum or asking my friends(hearing)

Last edited:
I hate it when I dont know what the sound it, even though with my CI, it bugs me until I find out what it is by either asking my mum or asking my friends(hearing)

Once you receive better maps, that will improve. I had the same problem for the first 2-3 months my initial CI was activated.

Even if Iv heard the sound before I dont remember what it is. I guess that's the way I am

Even if Iv heard the sound before I dont remember what it is. I guess that's the way I am

Is there anyone who can help you identify sounds?

Otherwise you could do a Google search for audio files of common environmental sounds. I used to have a website bookmarked that contained quite a few of them, but I don't know if I still do. I'll check and if I can find it, I will post it here.

I also wanted to share a CI moment I had. As I was putting my key in the door of my apartment complex lobby yesterday, I heard someone with a female voice say "Let me get that for you." There was solid glass between us and I never would have been able to hear this with hearing aids. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that I could clearly hear what was said given the fact that I've had difficulty over the past 4 years understanding female voices whether they were loud or soft. :D

Way to go girl!!!!!!!!! <smile>

I'm happy for you! :D (my silly grin)

JL

You're welcome! That's all I can help you with anyway... But good news for my friends, is also good news for me!

And if it makes them happy, it makes me happy too!

:D

You've always been so supportive of me Jamie which I really do appreciate! :)

Hi everyone,

I'm curious if any of you have soft maps in addition to your regular (i.e. louder) map? If so, why do you have it and what do you use it for? I decided to have a soft map added to help reduce my recruitment. I've also found a soft map helpful for whenever I have a migraine or am having a manic episode due to my bipolar.

In addition, I discovered yesterday that soft maps help cut down on the amount of wind noise I hear which is nice because I can concentrate on hearing traffic and other environmental sounds so much better.

Hi Hear Again... Congrats on your CI Moment. Thats great.

Regarding to your frist paragraph about quieter map, I have quieter map (thresholds about 3 notches quieter than regular map) I use regular map everyday and the quieter ones when i am hormonal!!! (I am typical woman!!) or in small echoy rooms. It does help in my suitation because i am able to "turn down" but still able to hear most things but a little quieter.

Hi Hear Again... Congrats on your CI Moment. Thats great.

Regarding to your frist paragraph about quieter map, I have quieter map (thresholds about 3 notches quieter than regular map) I use regular map everyday and the quieter ones when i am hormonal!!! (I am typical woman!!) or in small echoy rooms. It does help in my suitation because i am able to "turn down" but still able to hear most things but a little quieter.

Charlotte,

I'm glad soft maps help you as well. I feel the same way about mine. I can simply switch to P2 and still understand speech. I'm looking forward to seeing how well a soft map helps me the next time I have a migraine or manic episode. So far, it's working great when I travel outdoors. :)

Hi Hear again. I'm glad your soft map is working out for you and you can hear with it as well.

Soft maps?!? The closest thing I could think of is autosensitivity. This is a strategy where the map adjusts the ambient environmental noises so that speech is much clearer. Unfortunately, it also diminishes speech somewhat as well but not as much as the other noises. I only use that like listening to talk radio sometimes while driving and the windows down. In using it, I still have to turn the radio volume up.

I guess a soft map is a permanently reduced level of sounds compared to normal maps. If that is the case, then no I don't have a soft map. I much prefer getting my input as close to reality as possible. :D

Soft maps?!? The closest thing I could think of is autosensitivity. This is a strategy where the map adjusts the ambient environmental noises so that speech is much clearer. Unfortunately, it also diminishes speech somewhat as well but not as much as the other noises. I only use that like listening to talk radio sometimes while driving and the windows down. In using it, I still have to turn the radio volume up.

I guess a soft map is a permanently reduced level of sounds compared to normal maps. If that is the case, then no I don't have a soft map. I much prefer getting my input as close to reality as possible. :D

Yes, but sometimes the sensitivity all the way to 0 doesn't help. It has to do where the comfort levels and threshold levels are. They are much lower than a regular map, So it's better that way than having the sensitivity to 0.

Lisa - I have a soft map for those cases as well. I requested it because I get auditory fatigue at night time. Not always, but when I have a migraine, PMS, or when things are generally really loud, that's when I have the soft map on. It's the same as my regular map, but lower DR, and the threshold levels are much lower. It doesn't diminish the speech because it's exactly the same as the regular map...it's just quieter.

Lisa - I have a soft map for those cases as well. I requested it because I get auditory fatigue at night time. Not always, but when I have a migraine, PMS, or when things are generally really loud, that's when I have the soft map on. It's the same as my regular map, but lower DR, and the threshold levels are much lower. It doesn't diminish the speech because it's exactly the same as the regular map...it's just quieter.

Lady,

I think that's exactly what my audi did.

I do have autosensitivity on both of my maps, but I think she decreased the map on P2 so that it's softer.

However, it doesn't sound any different than P1 (my regular map) with the exception of being quieter.

Back