Soda Learning Asl At 26

Jessica C

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Jesse (hearing) and I have a 23 y/o brother who was born deaf, got a cochlear at age 3 and uses ASL and voice. I never learned ASL growing up even though my mom, dad, and sister all know ASL to varying degrees and my mom is the director of a nonprofit community service agency for the deaf. I have been around and on the outskirts of deaf culture my whole life. Despite the guilt I feel for never learning, I am proud to say that I am finally, at age 26, learning ASL. I'm getting help from my mom's agency (I convinced them to do a 6 week class for myself and some of my coworkers) and I am going to begin taking ASL classes at our local community college this summer.

I have felt for several years like I should learn sign, but when I was growing up I never wanted anything to do with Deaf culture. Maybe this was because I was jealous of all the attention my brother got with the surgeries and speech therapy that I had to tag along with for most of my early childhood, I don't know because I certainly wasn't mature enough at the time to know whether or not that was the case. I learned Japanese and Chinese, but never had any interest in ASL until recent years.

I am getting ready to be married soon, and there is a chance my kids will be deaf. I want to be fluent in ASL not only to be part of my brother's life, but my future children if they need it. Now that I've been learning ASL I've learned much more about the Deaf community and want to be involved.

I joined this site because I want to find more SODAs that can relate to my experience, and I want to find people that can share in my experience of learning ASL!

Nice to meet you all :)

Hi ! I am HOH and have a younger sister and she was jealous of me getting 'extra ' attention when my speech therapist came to our home. She would bring me
small gifts and my younger would stand there waiting for a gift too. So you weren't the only child to feel this . Congratulation on getting married !

Hi ! I am HOH and have a younger sister and she was jealous of me getting 'extra ' attention when my speech therapist came to our home. She would bring me
small gifts and my younger would stand there waiting for a gift too. So you weren't the only child to feel this . Congratulation on getting married !
Thanks! I don't actually remember feeling like this, but I'm assuming that was why I refused to learn. Nice to meet you!

Thanks! I don't actually remember feeling like this, but I'm assuming that was why I refused to learn. Nice to meet you!
I didn't even know there was ASL when I was a child , it was so difference growing up HOH in the late 40's -50's.

I didn't even know there was ASL when I was a child , it was so difference growing up HOH in the late 40's -50's.
Yeah my parents were really great about making sure he had every resource that he could use - cochlear and speech therapy, but from the moment they found out he was deaf they started with ASL and have never stopped, and my mom got really involved with the Deaf community from the beginning so he would be a part of it. He just graduated from Gallaudet.

Yeah my parents were really great about making sure he had every resource that he could use - cochlear and speech therapy, but from the moment they found out he was deaf they started with ASL and have never stopped, and my mom got really involved with the Deaf community from the beginning so he would be a part of it. He just graduated from Gallaudet.
I grew up not far from Boston and they had a school for deaf and hoh students and no one told my parents to send me there. I was 8 yo when my parents knew I was HOH . A teacher of mine gave me a hearing test after school , and found out I wasn't retarded, I got my first hearing when I was 8 yo . Thanks goodness my teacher was smarter than my parents and family DR.!

Back