So you don't even belong here.... Da da da.

Berry

Reaction score
My daughter needs to keep up her skills as a terp so she went to a convention. I took the opportunity and went with. Looked forward to having a good time and did and learned a lot.

Met people there from top scale terps to students to be. Some retained their professional persona at all times, others were kick-back and T shirted. My daughter forced me into a sports jacket, slacks and tie. Some signers made me dizzy and others were so unskilled they did not know the difference between "late" and "later." Bought a couple of DVD's on ASL.

Many arrived as early as possible, stayed as long as they could to get as much as possible, and darted to the next conference room. Those typically were dressed more relaxed. Those who dressed professionally tended to arrive on time and leave shortly after they received confirmation they had attended the class.

Confirmation consisted of a small bar code pasted next to the class you had attended during that time frame. Everyone ran up after class and got one and so did I.

A significant number made it plain, they were there for the bar code. They arrived at the last possible moment and left as soon as they got one. A couple even made it clear in the foyer they were taking the classes easiest for themselves. Seen as there was no test and you got a bar code whether you challenged yourself or not I found this particularly odd.

It was from this group the complaints came.

The argument was, "We are here to get CEU's so we can maintain our standing as terps and maintain our payscale." Or, "We are here so we can upgrade our payscale and charge more for our services." Continuing with, "Students should not be allowed bar codes even to show they attended these classes -- because we have put in our time, students have not, and it is how we earn our money."

I felt this was pretty petty as students cannot get CEU's whether they have the bar code or not. All it can do for them is show they attended. And that is all they have to show they did.

When I pointed out I wanted my little bar code too even though I am not a "terp in training" I was given the info that I was just a visitor and didn't even belong there in the first place.

I went ahead and got my bar codes any way. All told the trip, hotel, and convention fees cost me over $1,500. I felt I deserved something to show I had been in attendance.

And it is nice to know there is one more place in the world I do not belong.

Here I thought I'd used them all up already.

Would there be room for another in the corner, Berry and Bott?

true belonging has no boundaries

I've written how dessert is my downfall, how about some cake or pie to go with some ice cream and drinks?

Not a big fan of cakes but I love all kinds of pies and I have a wife, daughters, and other family who are fantastic cooks.

I've been to many terp conferences and workshops where CEU's are offered for the training. The "pro" terps who complained about students were totally off-base. Students are just as entitled as any certified terps to get credit for their attendance. Some students, although not yet degreed or certified, may already be working in a terp-related field, especially in education, where their employer requires them to attend training, and they need their proof as much as anyone does, especially if they are eligible for expense reimbursement.

Also, regardless of CEU's, any training above and beyond the required basics will make for a better pool of interpreters. TERPS CAN NEVER LEARN TOO MUCH, TOO OFTEN. No one has ever "arrived", including CODA terps, maxed out certified terps, and terp faculty.

It's a shame some terps focus on the CEU's simply for the sake of meeting requirements rather than seeing these opportunities to learn something new and improve skills.

Anyone who pays for the sessions certainly "belongs" there. The only limitations I can think of are some upper level specialized training sessions that have prerequisites that have to be met.

Well, you run into all kinds of people at these meetings. The larger the geographical area covered, the more likely you are to meet some jerks. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with some of them.

That's so rude of them, Berry. Just by virtue of being interested in and knowledgeable about ASL, you belonged there. Plus I agree with Reba. Anyone who thinks they have no more to learn is really just only harming themselves in the end.

Wish that I could have attended and "not belonged" with you Berry.

The only two people that were rude to me at ASL events were two male terp students. Bound to be a couple of jerks in every crowd. They come and they go anyway.

so how many do we have in the corner now :wave:
what kind of pie should I bring? or maybe something else and cooking family members can bring some awesome dessert, Berry...

I'm joining this corner. it's getting crowded. I hope there's room for me!

There must be room. I am just sitting here with my latte, avoiding eye contact.

That's a bad trait for using ASL. :P

Geez - I don't think I even qualify for the corner. woe is me - don't fit anywhere. :(

No, you will be fine in our corner. :wave:

:ty: so much!! I feel better now. I do belong. I will bring fresh hot apple pie with vanilla bean ice cream. **scootching in next to Botti and deafskeptic**

deafskeptic and Kristina, I offer that you come join our corner too :wave:

I think we now need a "space" as opposed to a corner

I wish I could try some of the latte and the ice cream but I have dairy allergies:( perhaps I could sample a bite of the pie, Kristina :aw: :)

Berry now you have some more pie!

Hey dogmom - hubby says the company he works for make an lactose free ice cream. Would that work? Other than that - I will make you a special fruit compote.

ooh, yes, it WOULD :ty:Kristina and Kristina's husband!
Fruit is always excellent also - maybe we could all bring some fruit and make a fruit salad together:wave:

ooh, yes, it WOULD :ty:Kristina and Kristina's husband!
Fruit is always excellent also - maybe we could all bring some fruit and make a fruit salad together:wave:

Would key lime pie count? :drool:

Back