So Who's Working Black Friday?

ladysolitary85

Reaction score
This will be my first time working retail on black friday... I will be brave and prolly suit up chainmail armor to avoid thousands of moms after a bargain :giggle:

I am, but I'm a massage therapist so it's just another day. Years and years and years ago I worked part time at Toys R Us for the Christmas season for extra money and an employee discount ;) for my own christmas shopping. My first day on the register by myself was Black Friday.......never never never again. it was not worth it!!!!!

I am, but I'm a massage therapist so it's just another day. Years and years and years ago I worked part time at Toys R Us for the Christmas season for extra money and an employee discount ;) for my own christmas shopping. My first day on the register by myself was Black Friday.......never never never again. it was not worth it!!!!!

Prolly the two worst places to work on black friday is retail and the bank lol.

btw how do you like being a massage therapist? I had some thoughts of going that direction.

Prolly the two worst places to work on black friday is retail and the bank lol.

btw how do you like being a massage therapist? I had some thoughts of going that direction.

I like it very much :D It can be very rewarding, making others feel better, and it's nice to be appreciated. Everybody loves seeing their massage therapist. It's hard work though! Very exhausting, it's been fairly slow lately because the tourists are mostly gone, so my body is getting a break, but my bank account doesn't like it so much. :eek3:

My best friend has worked with TRU for damn close to ten years now. I could never believe the stories she had...until I started in retail. :laugh2: She mostly worked in the video game section. The things she reported in on at the end of the day were amazing.

Customer service blows.

Deaf person at cashier? Wow, must be challenge when a person trying to ask you something.

I'll be working, but thankfully not retail....I avoid the malls until well after Christmas. I hate crowds.

Laura

Deaf person at cashier? Wow, must be challenge when a person trying to ask you something.

This was years and years and years ago when I was only deaf in one ear, wasn't tooooo bad then. No way could I do that now. There's a cashier at the Walmart by me that wears hearing aids, BTE ones too, so it's not like she has just a little bit of loss. I have no idea how she manages, or if she just ignores them. I worked at Mobil for 6 years, and during this period my hearing plummeted. I went from no aids to BTE, for the first 2-3 years I was there I was deaf in the left, but my right was okay, but then that ear just nose dived. So for almost a year I stayed away from the register unless someone wanted a smoke break or something, until I got my aids. Didn't do too bad after I got them, but a little gas station is a lot quieter than a department store......

I do, that's about the time of year UPS freight increases to huge proportions. Big peev- BOX IT UP! We don't ship it with just a tag slapped on it! LOL

This was years and years and years ago when I was only deaf in one ear, wasn't tooooo bad then. No way could I do that now. There's a cashier at the Walmart by me that wears hearing aids, BTE ones too, so it's not like she has just a little bit of loss. I have no idea how she manages, or if she just ignores them. I worked at Mobil for 6 years, and during this period my hearing plummeted. I went from no aids to BTE, for the first 2-3 years I was there I was deaf in the left, but my right was okay, but then that ear just nose dived. So for almost a year I stayed away from the register unless someone wanted a smoke break or something, until I got my aids. Didn't do too bad after I got them, but a little gas station is a lot quieter than a department store......

Ah that explained. :)

black friday????

USED TO BE the first day for Christmas shopping. The Friday after our Thanksgiving day. Called Black Friday because retailers expected their year to end "in the black" after this shopping day. Most office people had off that day and would begin their shopping plus the stores would have big sales to entice the shoppers to come to their stores.

It's gotten so bad ... read my other thread about moving Thanksgiving to another month...

Last edited:
I hope you don't have to open the front door otherwise you'll get stomped by millions of foot in an hour. :lol:

I don't enjoy shopping black friday due to long lines, and crazy customers. I'll order things via online, less hassle. :)

Worked every Holiday of the year...double time....was it worth it?...I'd say No...too tired to even do any shopping or fighting the crowds.....Then again, somebody has to do it (the work). And remembering Holidays past where I would fall asleep at family gatherings after working 10-12 hours that day or night.

I hope you don't have to open the front door otherwise you'll get stomped by millions of foot in an hour. :lol:

I don't enjoy shopping black friday due to long lines, and crazy customers. I'll order things via online, less hassle. :)

You would have to pay more for shipping unless they offer free shipping. What's more, you would have to wait for your order to be delivered to your home in 5-10 days. That's two disadvantages for online shopping.

:jaw: Worst day to start cashier, ever. How did you survive?

I've started making really cute crafts-pen bouquets, ribbon fobs. I might be out selling this year. Other than that, I'm staying in. Traffic in town is already killer. LOL, I only leave the house to sell stuff or go to church. And I'm starting to think....maybe I should find an online church. :giggle: Working with the public is hard though, it's been a few years since I worked sales, especially Black Friday. Employees should get time and a half or other incentives for working to make it better for them. At least I will be working for myself. :D Good luck to all working the mayhem.

Back