So what's the deal?

:gpost: I have never thought of that comment you make. Very interesting. It does make a point what you are saying. I was thinking when I relayed to the operator on my TDD and sometimes the operator misunderstood what I am typing or assuming what I meant to say on the TDD. It depended on how you make the phrases on the TDD to make the relay operator understand what you want to say to him, whether spelling or trying to make complete sentences for conversations. A lot of times the relay operator jump to conclusion or the deaf person jump into conclusion, too and get angry for no reason. I don't know, but that is my opinion. *sigh* So far I am doing fine with my relay operators and they seem to understand what I want to say on my TDD and get a response from my callers. Too bad, that Exoperator is not working there anymore, but he/she will learn a lot from us through our threads on how to show respect to Deaf people and Hard of Hearing people. We are just normal people with only four senses instead of five. :ugh3:

I agree with you.

I've seen how a lot of deaf people end their relay calls. They treat it like a object that they can order around without any respect for the operator or the person on the other end.

When I use relay, I always end the call with "Thanks SK" after the operator says "[hung up]". That's my way of telling the operator that I know the operator exists and is sitting there doing his/her job and that I do appreciate it.

When I ask deaf people why they don't do that, the most typical response I get is like the tipping issue.

"Why should I say that? They're just the operator. Who cares about them! That's their job!"

What did I mean by the tipping issue? "Why don't you tip the pizza driver?" "What for? I ordered the pizza... I don't care about the driver. Why tip them?"

I agree with you.

I've seen how a lot of deaf people end their relay calls. They treat it like a object that they can order around without any respect for the operator or the person on the other end.

When I use relay, I always end the call with "Thanks SK" after the operator says "[hung up]". That's my way of telling the operator that I know the operator exists and is sitting there doing his/her job and that I do appreciate it.

When I ask deaf people why they don't do that, the most typical response I get is like the tipping issue.

"Why should I say that? They're just the operator. Who cares about them! That's their job!"

What did I mean by the tipping issue? "Why don't you tip the pizza driver?" "What for? I ordered the pizza... I don't care about the driver. Why tip them?"

They're people too, like us!

All people are important ... from the cleaning persons up to high ranking individuals.

A professor once taught an important lesson, “You will meet many people. All are significant. They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do, is smile and say ‘Hello’.”

They're people too, like us!

All people are important ... from the cleaning persons up to high ranking individuals.

A professor once taught an important lesson, “You will meet many people. All are significant. They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do, is smile and say ‘Hello’.”
I agree with you. :)

On My IP Relay, I type 'no, thanks' when the operator asks if I want to make another call and I don't want another one.

Those who don't tip people should know that some of them get paid less than minimum wage because they can make it up with tips. If the amount of tips plus direct wage is less than the usual minimum pay, then the employer makes up the difference. So tip for your service so the employer won't have to pay extra.

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Wages - Tips

it does seem like there are too many relay oprs who are complaining whiners. It's not deaf people...........it's the fact that when you work customer service, you tend to deal with (and remember) really dumbass people. It's the dumbass people who you remember. You forget abt the nice people.

The guy was just having a primal scream and it's done and over with; we will never see him again....

I spent a few years relaying calls as an operator and I have to wonder as I have all along....why are deaf people on the whole so rude? I've seen the posts in here that say "Oh it's a character flaw" blah blah blah but that really isn't going to work on me. I averaged about 2,000 calls per months...granted only half of those were legitimate, that's still a good 20,000 conversations I've personally been involved in between deaf and hearing individuals, and a vast majority of deaf people are not only rude they literally expect people to bend over and kiss their ass.

I think it all traces back to this whole "deaf culture" isolationism that actually encourages deaf people to separate themselves from the rest of the world.

I love that deaf people don't want to consider themselves disabled that being called Hearing Impaired or Disabled is offensive to many deaf individuals, until they're collecting SSI that is. It's ok if the government defines them as disabled because that's a free paycheck...

Yea I'm probably venting a bit, and I'm intelligent enough to know that not every deaf person falls under that category...but if you believe that the majority aren't like that you're deceiving yourself.

Frankly I'm glad I wasn't born deaf, I don't know that I could handle the asshole I might have become had I been exposed to "deaf culture" without the benefit of having seen the rest of the world first.

Oh just as a tip to you guys....when you're rude to the operator, they fuck your calls up on purpose and if you really want to do something to advance yourself...learn to spell and type. I'm sure this post probably won't last too long, or hell maybe it will just so you guys can flame it....it won't matter though because I won't be back to fuel it on, I'm not here to troll....I've just been putting up with shit for years and now that I don't have to, it's nice to be able to vent a little.

For all you guys that were decent, that said "thanks have a great day opr" you are the ones I enjoyed relaying for. For the rest of you that treat your operators like your slave...I hope you choke on a chode.

Isn't that a bit hypocritical of you to bitch about a deafie's lack of manners, when here you are, being just as rude? Whatever happened to being the bigger person? If a deafie was being rude, you should have finished your job in a professional manner and vented in some other way. If you go to a restaurant, and you're being annoyed and snappy to your server, does that give them the right to spit in your food when you're not looking?

Isn't that a bit hypocritical of you to bitch about a deafie's lack of manners, when here you are, being just as rude? Whatever happened to being the bigger person? If a deafie was being rude, you should have finished your job in a professional manner and vented in some other way. If you go to a restaurant, and you're being annoyed and snappy to your server, does that give them the right to spit in your food when you're not looking?

I noticed you're new here. But, at the same time, what the op said is true, so you need to look down at the three remaining fingers pointed back at yourself.

As for me, I always thank the i711 operator. I always use the word 'please' and know how to spell, unlike some people on this website. Grammar, how does one expect the op to know what to say to recipient when he/she has to guess what the deaf person is saying? I'm sure a good many of them have to really work hard at making the caller look intelligent. <rim shot>

I spent a few years relaying calls as an operator and I have to wonder as I have all along....why are deaf people on the whole so rude? I've seen the posts in here that say "Oh it's a character flaw" blah blah blah but that really isn't going to work on me. I averaged about 2,000 calls per months...granted only half of those were legitimate, that's still a good 20,000 conversations I've personally been involved in between deaf and hearing individuals, and a vast majority of deaf people are not only rude they literally expect people to bend over and kiss their ass.

I think it all traces back to this whole "deaf culture" isolationism that actually encourages deaf people to separate themselves from the rest of the world.

I love that deaf people don't want to consider themselves disabled that being called Hearing Impaired or Disabled is offensive to many deaf individuals, until they're collecting SSI that is. It's ok if the government defines them as disabled because that's a free paycheck...

Yea I'm probably venting a bit, and I'm intelligent enough to know that not every deaf person falls under that category...but if you believe that the majority aren't like that you're deceiving yourself.

Frankly I'm glad I wasn't born deaf, I don't know that I could handle the asshole I might have become had I been exposed to "deaf culture" without the benefit of having seen the rest of the world first.

Oh just as a tip to you guys....when you're rude to the operator, they fuck your calls up on purpose and if you really want to do something to advance yourself...learn to spell and type.

I'm sure this post probably won't last too long, or hell maybe it will just so you guys can flame it....it won't matter though because I won't be back to fuel it on, I'm not here to troll....I've just been putting up with shit for years and now that I don't have to, it's nice to be able to vent a little.

For all you guys that were decent, that said "thanks have a great day opr" you are the ones I enjoyed relaying for. For the rest of you that treat your operators like your slave...I hope you choke on a chode.

I'd say that this post is evidence of the reason that you get treated rudely by not just deaf individuals, but I'd say most likely hearing individudals as well. Its your attitude. Rudeness begets rudeness.

Op doesn't give any specific examples of where a deaf person w/ mean or rude or asking for her to kiss butt. I am sure a TDD person know's how to type/spell well enough for others to understand. I guess I don't believe that statement. The whole post was condescending to me - -

That statement above is like saying people on welfare keep having babies so they get more money IMO.

I don't know, the whole post just seemed mean in and of itself.

I, personally, have done many hours as a relay operator when my son was small. Didn't find that experience to be distasteful at all. Treat the callers with respect, and you will be shown respect in return. And, if you happen to get ahold of someone who is having a bad day, don't be so presumptutous as to take it personally. It has absolutely nothing to do with you. Operators who want to be thanked for providing a service need to remember that their paycheck is all the thanks they have earned. You are paid to be an objective party that transcribes a conversation...not a personal friend to the caller.

Oh just as a tip to you guys....when you're rude to the operator, they fuck your calls up on purpose and if you really want to do something to advance yourself...learn to spell and type.

I'm sure this post probably won't last too long, or hell maybe it will just so you guys can flame it....it won't matter though because I won't be back to fuel it on, I'm not here to troll....I've just been putting up with shit for years and now that I don't have to, it's nice to be able to vent a little.

I commented on why deaf people tend to be rude in another thread. I expierence lots of rudeness from deaf people myself, so you are not alone.

Last edited:
I'm new to this all and accepting the "condition" I have. In the past I've used Relays as the "hearing person" for business. But in this day in age with IMs emails and TXT I feel it's pointless to even HAVE a relay. I feel I can easily blend in be just like everyone else using today's tech. But I companies want you to use the phone to "close the deal" or "retain you."

My biggest gripe is that I can't use normal tech back and forth even VIDEO to communicate.

I've heard nearly all my life but even when things were good people with language barriers (ESL) people are difficult to deal with via phone.

So many times I have to quote the ADA law that I must be treated fairly and receive proper communications. It's so sad that we have a level field to communicate (at a distance) yet we're still struggling because businesses play games.

If I want to talk to friends I can talk online 4+ at a time IM no issue. I want to dispute a charge and I have to have a family member waste their time to make the call. It's just not right.

As for the OP, get another job. If someone is rude it's likely due to the fact they have to USE the service (at least that's how I feel). Flat out, I just won't use a relay, I can read lips in person, that's fine, but I can't when the other side is across the world and won't use email and IMs EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE A TECH COMPANY!

sorry for the rant.

It aint cool to treat relay operators like they are less than humans. Whatever jobs we have, we are still human beings who deserve to be treated with respect. Period. I wish peeps would stop justifying rudeness as a cultural thing.

Once again, two wrongs don't make a right either... fucking up clients' calls as a vindicative move aint cool. Although I am polite with the relay operators I have used in the past, this would make me feel less secure with using the relay service in general. I dont want to have to wonder about the integrity of my relay calls.

a chode is like an electrode going through a radio isnt it? its a part of a radio or phone hookup

LOL this is the funniest yet true thing ive ever read. Its just funny to me how some deafies expect hearing people to treat them like the queen of england. Obviously its not a large % of deafies but a few stick out like a sore thumb. *coughcoughmyexcoughcough*

Back