so much noise

yeah it is surely overwhelming... I've been wearing them in short bursts... and turning the volume all the way down on them... today I am planning on trying to wear them all day... then slowly turning the volume up... one click at a time...

I can hear the noises going on around me... but since I haven't really heard much in about a year (thats when I lost my old phonaks)... i'm having a hard time with speech discrimination... I know it is speech, but understanding what the words mean is very hard. does anyone have any suggestions to help my brain learn what the words mean again?

Google "listening therapy" and you will find a variety of programs to help with this. One is LACE; there are others out there. You could ask your audi for advice, or just go ahead and order one that sounds like it fits your needs.

How can you tell when the Naidas do that?

Usually when I go to talk, I can tell my voice is dampened.
With the rain, I noticed it because it started off "loud" but then softened, but I could see the rain had not let up. Just to verify it, I turned the HAs off and back on again. Heard the "loud" rain then noticed the sound get softer.

Generally I don't notice it when it actually happens, just when I expect a sound to be "not so soft".

Sometimes tinnitus beep on bother irritate weird not much I am puzzled it beep alarm! weird on hear noise!

I know some will say they can do every thing w/o hearing but I do not feel safe going up in my aircraft when I can't hear and know what others are doing. Also kind of nice to pick up things before instruments do. Can't concentrate on one instrument all the time but ears are listening all the time. Just one example and I'm sure there are others. Good luck and stay the course.
Yes, there are little day occurrences that kind of reminds me that I'm glad to have some hearing for some of the time. Such as hearing the alarm go off, hearing the car beeping the horn behind me or even hearing a maintenance worker or stranger call me from a distance and so forth. Not necessarily "everyday things" but whereas you sometime had this "I'm glad I heard that" feeling a bit afterwards.

Yes, there are little day occurrences that kind of reminds me that I'm glad to have some hearing for some of the time. Such as hearing the alarm go off, hearing the car beeping the horn behind me or even hearing a maintenance worker or stranger call me from a distance and so forth. Not necessarily "everyday things" but whereas you sometime had this "I'm glad I heard that" feeling a bit afterwards.

see... I haven't really had much of those... "Wow I'm really glad I was able to hear that noise" moments... :hmm: The one time I did, was when my partner looked at me and said, "I love you" while she signed it... i was glad then... but other than that... i haven't had many of those...

This is exactly what I've been wondering about. How long do you think it will take to get used to the "new" sounds once I finally get my HAs.

This is exactly what I've been wondering about. How long do you think it will take to get used to the "new" sounds once I finally get my HAs.

it depends... whats your audiogram look like? how long have you been unaided? what type are you getting... there are quite a few factors...

I know it will just take time to get used to... but hopefully he can find a way to turn down the background noise that is so confusing... and the crazy thing is... because i have been unaided for over a year... he doesn't even have them turned up all the way so i can readjust. After getting my first pair of digital hearing aids after months of not having any, the ventilation in the audi's office was almost unbearable. But now I barely hear it.

Im going through the same thing with my stapedectomy! Theres no volume control for this and i am literally assaulted by so much sound it is terrifying.

Sometimes noise loud I tell stop on noise off because annoy cause people complaint, watch out your people 0_o I think so consider told please hearing off sometimes pretty not easy!

that is very tough! your complaint to tell stop!

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Did your audi test you comfort level? A good audi will and consider it when programming your HAs.
Another possibility is recruitment in which sounds are uncomfortably loud to your brain. No solution for recruitment except reprograming HAs. Recruitment limits the usefulness of HAs for some people (like me).

Eew, I hate cartoons! Not that I have much need to watch them, but if I'm cruising through channels, I hate the sort of sing-songy characteristic of the high-pitched voices.

Sometimes I watch "The Family Guy" though. That's not really a kids' cartoon, so the voices are different, more normal sounding.
Yep, that's a good show... no weird sounds. :)

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Did your audi test you comfort level? A good audi will and consider it when programming your HAs.
Another possibility is recruitment in which sounds are uncomfortably loud to your brain. No solution for recruitment except reprograming HAs. Recruitment limits the usefulness of HAs for some people (like me).

Yes he did... its more that I haven't been aided for over a year... and I was getting very use to my nice a quiet world... he did turn noise reduction on for quiet environments... which has helped with things such as the fan... for the most part... I'm getting use to the sounds... my head doesn't hurt as much... and I can wear them for longer periods of time. I still can't understand much of what is said... its still just unintelligible bable for the most part. But the one thing that is driving me crazy... that I forgot to tell my audi about, is that sometimes... things will just get so loud that i have to yank my HA's out... and it gets loud for no reason. My partner looks at me like I'm crazy. :shock:

What is recruitment Sally?

I think depend, I think so consider probably I think so might to probably more adjust to noise! soon coming!

My brain can't move sounds to the background. I still get headaches from HA's. I just have to accept I am going to get a headache every day. Even now they tell me that one day my brain will begin to ignore sounds, but it doesn't work yet.

My brain can't move sounds to the background. I still get headaches from HA's. I just have to accept I am going to get a headache every day. Even now they tell me that one day my brain will begin to ignore sounds, but it doesn't work yet.

me too I headache sometimes often serious ! conflict ot my mind lose work brain :hmm:

ash345, I hope you are getting used to your new hearing aids, it does take long time to get used to them specifically if you have not used them before or for a while, I was born normal hearing and started losing my hearing in both ears over 12-13 years back and within a year or so my hearing was pretty bad, I did not wear hearing aids until like less than 2 years after it started to get bad and the first few days were nightmare, very slowly things started to get better, hearing my own voice was horrible and slowly I got used to it, I can not believe 2 years of hearing loss drove my brain down the drain, I had to go through all noise to let my brain adjust, there was no boards like this before and no support of any type and the audi I was seeing was not good at all, I don't know how I kept going just because I wanted to advance my career and knew I could not do that without hearing better, I forced myself to use the phone again with hearing aids using every single headset that came out in the market after getting scared of using it for few years, the use of the hearing aid and the phone helped my brain (the hearing cortex) to keep remembering all of these sounds that I heard before my hearing loss, then when I got my CI 4 months back, my results is outstanding which due mostly to the fact that I kept using both hearing aids for over 10 years none stop and used the phone no matter what, that's improved my brain perception to sounds, so it seems that you train your brain on all of these sounds (you call them noise when in fact they are not) and keep going and going, if you stop and rely on living on your silent world then later on when you need a CI your results will not be much promising, the more you use your hearing aids now the better for your brain to keep memory of sounds, otherwise if you stop your brain will use that hearing cortex for something else and you will never or will have a hard time knowing what the sounds you are hearing are for.
Hearing aids are not like eye glasses, you put them on and then wow you hear like a normal person, unfortunately it does not work this way, my best advise for you to keep working with your audi and try to get a better fit, keep your hearing aids on all the time, by a year or two from now you will get used to these sounds, trust me.
Decide what you want in your life from now, you can't go or live half way, one day have this on and the next you want to live in a silent world, if you want your hearing aids to work for you then give it much more time, it progress very slowly, do not judge it now, give it at least a year of full work.
Speech understanding: it will come slowly as soon as your brain start scans out the background sounds (or noise), try to train your brain/ears on relating what you hear now using the lip reading, take your time.

Back