so much noise

ash345

Audist Free Zone
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I know my new HA's are going to take some time to get used to... and I know that most of the sounds I am hearing now are ones I haven't heard in years... but there is just so much noise... I'm glad I have the volume control... because I need it... I need to turn it down... but then I can't really hear what people are saying... but if i turn it up... then there is too much noise, but i can hear what people are saying for the most part. Hopefully my appointment on the 13th will take care of this...

Hope be hear you good lucky I am glad of hear you exciting :)! you are happy!

too much noise huh? well next time, don't forget to turn it down or you'll end up with a headache :) I had those problems with my Oticon Gaias many times and they don't have a volume control
one way to resolve that if my old ones doesn't have a volume control: I switch to my old Siemens which has that function

So I know my new HA's are going to take some time to get used to... and I know that most of the sounds I am hearing now are ones I haven't heard in years... but there is just so much noise... I'm glad I have the volume control... because I need it... I need to turn it down... but then I can't really hear what people are saying... but if i turn it up... then there is too much noise, but i can hear what people are saying for the most part. Hopefully my appointment on the 13th will take care of this...

Your brain may make the adjustment before your next appt. If not, your audi can make adjustments this (speech-in-noise). My Naidas go into "speech-in-noise" automaticaly when it detects loud/constand noise. It does mean that my speech is dampened a bit, though. I found it surprising yesterday that my HAs thought heavy rain was too loud and went into the "speech-in-noise" program. :shock:

the noise is just so over whelming... There are times... when I just want to go back to my nearly silent world... and words are still having problems making true meaning to me... so i'm still lipreading... also... hearing my own voice... that scares me... I know it will just take time to get used to... but hopefully he can find a way to turn down the background noise that is so confusing... and the crazy thing is... because i have been unaided for over a year... he doesn't even have them turned up all the way so i can readjust.

It does take a little time. Be patient with yourself. Your brain will sort it out eventually, probably a little better with each passing day. Try to be in mostly easy listening situations for the most part; i.e., don't try to have conversations with someone next to you while the TV is on loudly in front of you both, that sort of thing. Conversations in the car might still be difficult.

Loud noises like your dishwasher, vacuum, washer/dryer might be too much at first, certainly too much if someone is trying to talk, as well.

If, as you said, you can hear what people are saying for the most part, even if other noise seems "too loud," that's a very good sign. Be patient enough to give your confused brain time to sort it out all out.

Just wondering why you want HA after being silent for so long?

I ask because I'm pondering the same question myself. I do hope that HA are helping you accomplish what you need to accomplish.

Are you able to have conversations or phone calls with HA?

Just wondering why you want HA after being silent for so long?

I ask because I'm pondering the same question myself. I do hope that HA are helping you accomplish what you need to accomplish.

Are you able to have conversations or phone calls with HA?

well the reason I wanted them was because I'm not that great with sign yet... I'm trying to learn, but it takes time to become proficient. Also, my job does require having conversations with people on a regular basis, in person as well as on the phone. They are helping me, and I can tell that... its just... something I haven't experienced for a long time... my brain is having to relearn things...

There are currently times when I take them out... that may end up changing once they are perfectly fine tuned to my hearing loss. The thing that is important to me, with or without my hearing aids, is learning more ASL, and becoming involved with Deaf culture. I know I am going to be Deaf, sooner than later, and there may come a point where my HA's don't help me at all... there are times when I want to be silent... but luckly... i can accomplish that when I want to.

I remember walking out of my audi's office at five years old, holding my mother's hand and looking up at her and asking, "Mommy, mom? What's that sound? That weird one, I don't like it." Turns out it was the sound of her pants rubbing together. Little things like that will seem loud for a while. After getting my first pair of digital hearing aids after months of not having any, the ventilation in the audi's office was almost unbearable. But now I barely hear it.

Your brain may make the adjustment before your next appt. If not, your audi can make adjustments this (speech-in-noise). My Naidas go into "speech-in-noise" automaticaly when it detects loud/constand noise. It does mean that my speech is dampened a bit, though. I found it surprising yesterday that my HAs thought heavy rain was too loud and went into the "speech-in-noise" program. :shock:

How can you tell when the Naidas do that?

I have Phonak Savias and I can tell, too.

It's a subtle thing, but the quality of my own voice changes, and what I hear from other people changes. The miscellaneous sounds in a restaurant of silverware clinking and distant voices from other tables become somewhat muted.

The Phonak people will tell you that the programs change unobtrusively and the user won't even notice, but that's not entirely true. I can almost always tell when it has changed programs.

Sometimes noise pretty lots of depend your Phonak hard to complication! that is why! difficult! bother noise beep

If the sounds are too much, try starting in a quieter environment like a living room with the television on with something simple like a cartoon. When you get used to it, then pick a different environment that's a bit louder like a grocery store, then a mall, etc.

That way, if you hear sounds that you don't notice or recognize... you can look around and determine what it is. :)

Eew, I hate cartoons! Not that I have much need to watch them, but if I'm cruising through channels, I hate the sort of sing-songy characteristic of the high-pitched voices.

Sometimes I watch "The Family Guy" though. That's not really a kids' cartoon, so the voices are different, more normal sounding.

That's why I sometime feel a little wary when I hear of a deaf person not even wearing hearing aids or getting any auditory input for quite some time. Cause the longer one goes without them, the more of a gap there will be to overcome and the more overwhelming it could be when one starts getting some auditory input again and all.

Anyway getting back to the op, one thing you can do is to take a break from wearing the HA at home, especially when you're by yourself.

Also, hope that your upcoming appointment with the audi would help. Good luck!

That's why I sometime feel a little wary when I hear of a deaf person not even wearing hearing aids or getting any auditory input for quite some time. Cause the longer one goes without them, the more of a gap there will be to overcome and the more overwhelming it could be when one starts getting some auditory input again and all.

Anyway getting back to the op, one thing you can do is to take a break from wearing the HA at home, especially when you're by yourself.

Also, hope that your upcoming appointment with the audi would help. Good luck!

yeah it is surely overwhelming... I've been wearing them in short bursts... and turning the volume all the way down on them... today I am planning on trying to wear them all day... then slowly turning the volume up... one click at a time...

I can hear the noises going on around me... but since I haven't really heard much in about a year (thats when I lost my old phonaks)... i'm having a hard time with speech discrimination... I know it is speech, but understanding what the words mean is very hard. does anyone have any suggestions to help my brain learn what the words mean again?

yeah it is surely overwhelming... I've been wearing them in short bursts... and turning the volume all the way down on them... today I am planning on trying to wear them all day... then slowly turning the volume up... one click at a time...

I can hear the noises going on around me... but since I haven't really heard much in about a year (thats when I lost my old phonaks)... i'm having a hard time with speech discrimination... I know it is speech, but understanding what the words mean is very hard. does anyone have any suggestions to help my brain learn what the words mean again?

Have your boss use flash cards for every word he speaks.

I can hear the noises going on around me... but since I haven't really heard much in about a year (thats when I lost my old phonaks)... I'm having a hard time with speech discrimination... I know it is speech, but understanding what the words mean is very hard. does anyone have any suggestions to help my brain learn what the words mean again?

That is the very large problem with not using the aids or not having them. As one other poster said, the longer you go w/o them the harder it is to adjust. First try and remember that what you hear as noise is most likely noise but you have to realize that is normal? hearing people live with it all the time. I can vividly recall when I first went out of the Audi office in Seattle many years ago and the street noise was so loud and over powering but I just said to myself, that is the way it is and wife and others hear it all the time so get used to it and I did. Took a while and I found and recommend that one just put them on and keep them on so brain can adjust and it will. Wore aids for well over 50 years and am now getting used to second CI. and yes it is learning all over again. As time goes on my comprehension gets better and I can again go to gatherings and participate with the majority. I enjoy a lot of things that require hearing for safety and I can now do them again. I had to quite for a couple of years just to stay safe. Still enjoy living for a little longer :) I know some will say they can do every thing w/o hearing but I do not feel safe going up in my aircraft when I can't hear and know what others are doing. Also kind of nice to pick up things before instruments do. Can't concentrate on one instrument all the time but ears are listening all the time. Just one example and I'm sure there are others. Good luck and stay the course.

Back