So lonely..

WTF! There a was deaf group in my city and it was run by two peer facilitators who have lived experience in Mental Health . What the hell does mental health has to do with being deaf or hoh???

WTF! There a was deaf group in my city and it was run by two peer facilitators who have lived experience in Mental Health . What the hell does mental health has to do with being deaf or hoh???

Umm......you don't want to know.......

Did you know that hearing people are lonely too?

Oh Yes and they have to find ways also to communicate same as deaf people.

trainman

Did you know that hearing people are lonely too?

Oh Yes and they have to find ways also to communicate same as deaf people.

trainman

that very true,we each have cross to bare but don't mean we on road to calvery.

I would give you a like but forum got error

I have a sign that I put in my top shirt pocket or pin it on for people to read and it reads like this:

I cannot hear please write to me.

I have a pen and paper in which i give to them and it does work for me. So far I had only one that would not.

I write to them and ask what is the subject we are talking about. They will answer you and that starts a communication with the person and its great once you break the barrier they just keep on writing and you can answer talking to the person.

Of course you do this with medical people too as I do.
Never give up its one way to communicate. The other is lip reading as I do or by a hand device they just type in and you read and answer.

So many ways not to be lonely> Remember they might be shy or lonely too and always smile and laugh it helps otherwise body emotions tell a lot and face emotions too.

Trainman

I'm in college and finding that others in my program have made lots of friends, while I am the one outsider. Even though I'm very friendly! :( I think other students are avoiding me because my hearing loss is awkward for them.

I'm the only deaf student I know at my school and the only one in my whole program. I don't know ASL well and there's no deaf community here.. so I lack a social life completely outside of my family.

anyone have any tips on making friends with hearing people? I want to get to know my classmates better but all through my life it's so rarely worked. I haven't made any new real friends since I lost so much more hearing (I started out mildly HOH as a kid, now severe for some years)

You might be surprised to know that many hearing people go through as well. It mirrors my experience in school, actually. Try looking for a friendly face and strike up a brief conversation. Sometimes if you make the first step, the second and third steps take care of themselves.

Laura

Oh, you feeling lonely! think of your studies and focus what you're earn your goal. You can find hearing people who's understanding you... Dont you know, Deaf chat coffee meet the deaf community social. I don't know where you live and hope deaf community still there at Deaf chat coffee.

I would say that a majority of college students are lonely. Some resort to excessive drinking, promiscuity, etc. It should help you to focus on your studies to avoid this path. Friendships are nice, but the type you might find when you are so lonely are often very hollow. Lots of barracuda-types out there.

It isn't just deaf or hoh that have trouble with finding friends in college. I am a hearing college student and my classmates and I weren't very sociable with each other. I am in the process of switching majors and colleges though, so maybe the other college will be better for me. I am going into the interpreter program and I am very excited about it.

Maybe they're just the kind of people who like helping others in general so they are more inclined to start groups that are meant to help people connect, socialize, etc.? Just a thought. I've noticed that a significant amount of teacher or psychologist-type people like to start social meetups (I am one of those people). I think it's just a general personality trait.

Maybe they're just the kind of people who like helping others in general so they are more inclined to start groups that are meant to help people connect, socialize, etc.? Just a thought. I've noticed that a significant amount of teacher or psychologist-type people like to start social meetups (I am one of those people). I think it's just a general personality trait.

I did not even know there was any meetings for deaf and hoh people in my city . My audiologist should have place people can post this kind of info , not everyone like using the computer .

Confidence is the key. When you first meet the person, dont go with the thinkng " what if he/she does not want to talk anymore in future?". It is the main thing. And take pen and pad with you. If they dont get what you are saying write it over pad and show it to them and if you dont understand what they are saying, hand them the pad.

Someone mentioned that to engaged in conversation with seat partner. you know, most of my good friends was my seat buddies. I usually start on back of my notebook " So sleepy~~~~" or something like that and then pass it to my seat partner and they respond with their own answer. And that is my way of saying hello to them. I am well known to them as natural pencil chatter,hehe. Eventually, they learned how to communicate with without having me to explain to them. Like, for instance when i dont get what they are saying, they take out their own notebook and write them. I did not have to tell them to repeat.

You know most people, yes even hearing people, have one, two or three good friends. Some friend stay and some other leave. It is not only due to hearing loss. It is mostly other thing.It is natural. So my advice to you is, dont try too hard. Interact with them like the way you feel comfortable. :)

Back