So I had a job interview today...

Any of the people I know who works in a convenience store or gas station never have regular hours. As was explained to me when I worked at a Casey's General Store, if they vary the hours, you are less likely to have a robbery. This is explained as they case the place out, there's not a set routine, so it's hard for them to know when is the best time to strike. So, I can understand why her boss schedules her like he does, but it's still a pain in the posterior.

thats the problem, I can't go to school with my gas station job. my hours are no where near stable, I may work 6pm-midnight one day then 10am-5pm the next then 4am-11am the next. I don't even know what time I'm suppose to sleep anymore. My boss doesn't offer raises, medical, time off, I'm already having issues with asking him for time off for my doctor appointments. If I wanted to go to school he wouldn't work with me on a decent schedule. Its frustrating.

same here

Weird. I worked at both Circle K and 7-Eleven and I always had the same schedule. 9pm-5am at Circle K, 7pm-3am three nights a week and 11pm-7am two nights a week at 7-Eleven.

I did read where the best jobs availability will be in Health Care...(ObamaCare)....If I were in the market for a job. I would try all hospitals/nursing homes, etc. ....Even go back to school if necessary for a career in Health Care.....The US is getting ready for a big reflux of Baby Boomers, (retirees).....

thats the problem, I can't go to school with my gas station job. my hours are no where near stable, I may work 6pm-midnight one day then 10am-5pm the next then 4am-11am the next. I don't even know what time I'm suppose to sleep anymore. My boss doesn't offer raises, medical, time off, I'm already having issues with asking him for time off for my doctor appointments. If I wanted to go to school he wouldn't work with me on a decent schedule. Its frustrating.

Most universities and colleges do offer state and federal work study. I don't know if both RIT and Gally offer work study, but you can look into it. If you get it, you work on campus and they definitely work around your class schedule. There's a max of 20 hours per week during the spring and fall semesters, then 40 during summer. It's usually minimum wage, though, but scheduling would be worth more than that.

Most universities and colleges do offer state and federal work study. I don't know if both RIT and Gally offer work study, but you can look into it. If you get it, you work on campus and they definitely work around your class schedule. There's a max of 20 hours per week during the spring and fall semesters, then 40 during summer. It's usually minimum wage, though, but scheduling would be worth more than that.

any colleges that offer financial aids do have work study program

Any of the people I know who works in a convenience store or gas station never have regular hours. As was explained to me when I worked at a Casey's General Store, if they vary the hours, you are less likely to have a robbery. This is explained as they case the place out, there's not a set routine, so it's hard for them to know when is the best time to strike. So, I can understand why her boss schedules her like he does, but it's still a pain in the posterior.

Wow! I didn't know that. It does make sense. So, the varying schedule is really for the safety of the employees?

Wow! I didn't know that. It does make sense. So, the varying schedule is really for the safety of the employees?

and employers, I guess.

insider job, ya know....

Wow, that schedule is brutal. Whynot apply for disability? You'll be free and have plenty of time for school.

I did read where the best jobs availability will be in Health Care...(ObamaCare)....If I were in the market for a job. I would try all hospitals/nursing homes, etc. ....Even go back to school if necessary for a career in Health Care.....The US is getting ready for a big reflux of Baby Boomers, (retirees).....

Really it is very look politic! I think so job employee or something on pretty easy otherwise search find job!

"Thank you for applying for the position as Restaurant Co-worker Positions. Your qualifications are excellent; however, we are presently considering candidates whose backgrounds more closely match the needs for this position. Your application and resume will be kept on file for future consideration.

We wish you the best in your employment search. We hope you find a position that will offer you the career challenges and opportunities that you desire. Again, we appreciate your interest in Golden Corral and hope to see you soon as a guest at Golden Corral. "

:( just got this e-mail, I'm kind of upset.

Sorry to hear that, lets hope something better comes along for you :fingersx:

So some of you guys know about my gas station job I've been doing for a little over a year now. I applied at a restaurant called Golden Coral (never ate there or heard of it but who knows right?) I felt intimidated at first because a few friends told me they had their interviews and it was a group interview where they asked each person one question and you had to do a skit. BUT luckily for me my interview was a one on one which I was sooo thankful for! It was more personal. I did tell the manager right off the bat that I'm hard of hearing, and he did have to repeat himself a few times to me but I can only hope its not counted against me.... wish me luck I'll know in 2 weeks yay or nay.

My question though, is why do employers go from group interviews to one on one interviews? Do they do this for a reason?

Sorry.. I am not read thur four pages! :eek3: but did you got a job? :)

Because the pay sucks.

Well, it is better than nothing. In today's economy it is not so bad. I live with my parents and do not have kids so I'm dealing with life just fine and dandy.

I dont have to pay for gas,tires,oil change,etc.. Gas prices are still high in america. :giggle:

I also have health insurance. :)

Well, it is better than nothing. In today's economy it is not so bad. I live with my parents and do not have kids so I'm dealing with life just fine and dandy.

I dont have to pay for gas,tires,oil change,etc.. Gas prices are still high in america. :giggle:

When they die, what's going to happen to you?

Don't you want a job where you can make more than what you get from the government plus more benefits? When you have a work history, you are adding to your retirement benefits (which means a bigger monthly check, even bigger than what you are getting now).

Well, isn't that "just fine & dandy!"....Living with ur parents and getting SSDI...no bills...(You don't even pay ur parents any rent?)...Using ur parents car? And who pays for ur health care?

No offense but I would rather work and feel a sense of pride knowing that I am a contributing citizen. Disability checks are ok as a temporary solution but for life, they are a dead end.

I see you going really far in the world.

Not so much. :bye:

hahaha i could not live with my parents!! i moved out at 18!! like having my own way my own rules my place to my self! i am the king in my place...

You didn't get vacation pay or medical after one year? Full time?
Nope! they truly don't care about their employees. I have to basically fight for my time off already for doctor visits.

wouldn't. You should try asking him about it though as school is more of a important 'matter', especially if your boss already lets you take time off for your doctor appointment in the first place.

I'm wondering so bear with me, why are your hours not stable? does your boss tell you to work longer or your work pace is all over the place, hence unstable hours?

Kristina pretty much said the jest of why, but we only have 7 people employed... 4 shifts in a day. We did only have 5 or 6 for awhile but now we're having a few new hires, which means more hours cut. I need at least 30 hrs a week to survive.

Wow, that schedule is brutal. Whynot apply for disability? You'll be free and have plenty of time for school.
Honestly, I've tried to before and in the state of Cali, I'd have to be about 90% hearing loss in both ears and I'm just nearly at the peak of that. Disability doesn't accept me, some places wont hire me. No win situation :(

Sorry.. I am not read thur four pages! :eek3: but did you got a job? :)
Unfortunately, no.... but I did find out my unexperienced friend who wanted a server position might of got hired. The lady told her she'd start her off with 4 tables..... not too thrilled.

Although I appreciate what your trying to say, I don't have that kind of back up plan or rather cushion. My family has 2 other children to worry about I'm an adult. Its just my fiance and I and the only thing that is stopping me from walking out the door at my work is rent.

I never had been given things, I've always been taught you have to work for what you want (where as my teen brothers are spoiled as hell but their kids thats to be expected). But to be honest I'm proud to say my fiance and I have managed for 6 yrs together without the help of our folks.

Back