So I had a job interview today...

Sans club and Costco has the best benefits on the side along with the job, I heard.

Just go interview and apply in person! You'll have a better chance. You have to get out there and SMILE! :D

Lady, there is a job posting here that says part of the physical requirement are that a person can 'hear'. It's a food service position at a truck stop! Wtf!

If I had employees I'd give you a job myself!

good luck... for one place i tried to get in they had well over 1200 apps turned in interviewed 90-100 people and only 20 people got in.....i only got in for interview but not hired in ohh well they were starting off $15-17 an hr and demands all 7 days a week lots of over time...leprino foods any thing got to do with food factory pays well!! at least most of them do... and here in Michigan sucks alot of autoworkers and suppliers lost there jobs and too many people fighting for one job!

I'm going to be checking my other friend's statuses on it. If they received a e-mail worded differently I may be facing a discrimination issue.

Wheres a punching bag when you need one?

another good idea to check out.

My suggestion is to call them and ask them what do they mean by that statement. My strong feeling is that you probably got discriminated. I have never heard of someone having the qualifications for the job but not having the background. Just sounds suspicious
If you call them, don't expect a real answer from them. They won't admit they discriminate.

Thanks AJW, I'm really kinda puzzled... my qualifications were great but my background wasn't? What is that supposed to mean???
Background usually refers to education, skills, and work experience.

:confused: I cant believe you have no idea how bad the economy is right now. I am baffled. So many people are desperate for jobs. Men are killing their families b/c they cant feed their kids. Thanks to George W. Bush!!!

I knew it was bad, I just didn't really have a full understanding of the unemployment issue on a personal level. I know how bad the economy is because it's one of my jobs to research about it, I just didn't grasp just how terrible the job situation is in some areas. I hope that makes more sense than my previous post.

Lady: I'd look into other people's responses as well, that reply seems odd to me!

lol Derek you don't get out much do you? 700 is nothing! My town is just a average size town.

And your right Robin, that's what I'm aiming for. My job doesn't offer vacation, raises, medical, breaks, not even a panic button! not a damn thing. Its screaming dangerous and illegal at me so I'm trying to work where ever I possibly can.

You didn't get vacation pay or medical after one year? Full time?

In my 15th mechanic years in 4 different gas stations, I've seen the foreign born cashiers are working more longer than American cashiers. American people don't like small salary plus they fear the robbery.

Background usually refers to education, skills, and work experience.

What I don't understand is I have about 8 yrs food service experience, even for a buffet.

I'm willing to bet they're going to be hiring someone who's 16 with zero experience.

But I'm trying not to get upset over it, theres no point they said their peace I just have to accept it and hope to find something else. I'm just so tired of this gas station job. I want to go to school, become more fluent in ASL, get more than minimum wage and some benefits.

Damn economy *sigh*

First of all, sue for discrimination is not good idea, because it actually goes on record and sometimes record can be open to public. Employers do check for these lawsuit happy people and avoid them.
I do not think discrimination is the main issue. The main issue is competition, too many applications out there and there may be one or 2 deaf person trying to apply making it more difficult to win competition.

What I think could be good way, stay with gas station job even though it sucks, but what you can do is go back school, find the career that fits you, and learn from there. Make sure that the career your into is a marketable.
Don't give up, even though there are millions of job applications out there and most of them got denied. There are always at least a crack to open for success.

thats the problem, I can't go to school with my gas station job. my hours are no where near stable, I may work 6pm-midnight one day then 10am-5pm the next then 4am-11am the next. I don't even know what time I'm suppose to sleep anymore. My boss doesn't offer raises, medical, time off, I'm already having issues with asking him for time off for my doctor appointments. If I wanted to go to school he wouldn't work with me on a decent schedule. Its frustrating.

That definetly sucks, I had similiar issue with my old job, schedule changes every week, and that sucks! I can't image holding this job for too long.

thats the problem, I can't go to school with my gas station job. my hours are no where near stable, I may work 6pm-midnight one day then 10am-5pm the next then 4am-11am the next. I don't even know what time I'm suppose to sleep anymore. My boss doesn't offer raises, medical, time off, I'm already having issues with asking him for time off for my doctor appointments. If I wanted to go to school he wouldn't work with me on a decent schedule. Its frustrating.

Its hard! I don't know how much more I can take of it, so I'm doing all I can to find something else.

Believe me I'm thankful for having it but its time to move on. Too much stress on my health, I can't even change my availability with this job! How messed up is that? I have missed a lot of family events because of this job, and now I'm starting to realize its time. Just got to try to find a good job out there.

If you want to go to school, look for Pell grants and VR assistance. If you research you may be able to find a way.

wouldn't. You should try asking him about it though as school is more of a important 'matter', especially if your boss already lets you take time off for your doctor appointment in the first place.

I'm wondering so bear with me, why are your hours not stable? does your boss tell you to work longer or your work pace is all over the place, hence unstable hours?

Back