So I had a job interview today...

When they die, what's going to happen to you?

Don't you want a job where you can make more than what you get from the government plus more benefits? When you have a work history, you are adding to your retirement benefits (which means a bigger monthly check, even bigger than what you are getting now).

My parents have a big house with a lot of land. I'll be just fine when they are gone from the earth. I dont care about retirement benefits b/c economy is too bad right now.

Well, isn't that "just fine & dandy!"....Living with ur parents and getting SSDI...no bills...(You don't even pay ur parents any rent?)...Using ur parents car? And who pays for ur health care?

I must pay for my health care from Medicare. :) Nah,I dont pay rent b/c my parents are rich. I save a lot of money and can buy a brand new car right now.

No offense but I would rather work and feel a sense of pride knowing that I am a contributing citizen. Disability checks are ok as a temporary solution but for life, they are a dead end.

Temporary for now b/c of economy. Get this, I'm not tax-payer. he he
I see you going really far in the world.

Not so much. :bye:

Im in a lot better off than a lot of people these days. I visit my older brother all the time in DC. He is rich. He has master degree and is an engineer. He helps me out sometimes.

hahaha i could not live with my parents!! i moved out at 18!! like having my own way my own rules my place to my self! i am the king in my place...

Get a clue,a lot of grown up kids are living with their parents. Sounds like you are living by yourself,ouch!

I never had been given things, I've always been taught you have to work for what you want (where as my teen brothers are spoiled as hell but their kids thats to be expected). But to be honest I'm proud to say my fiance and I have managed for 6 yrs together without the help of our folks.

That is nice. I used to work really hard for my money. We get really tired of our jobs. I worked at Lowe's and it got really bad for me b/c I couldnt hear the costumers and I got really upset. I had to leave b/c it was so frustrating not to hear the costumers. I really cant work at a lot of places. Shoot, I couldnt be able to work at a gas station.

That is nice. I used to work really hard for my money. We get really tired of our jobs. I worked at Lowe's and it got really bad for me b/c I couldnt hear the costumers and I got really upset. I had to leave b/c it was so frustrating not to hear the costumers. I really cant work at a lot of places. Shoot, I couldnt be able to work at a gas station.

And that's the problem with me too, I'm GREAT with customers, I know how to work customer service to its fullest but my hearing is becoming worse and worse, and its beyond frustrating for me especially when they want me to close at night and STILL serve customers through the glass windows! Its bad enough I can't hear well in person but behind a glass? frustrating! Luckily for me most of my customers are regulars and know about my deafness and most of them are pretty cool about it :)

But part of it is only that, the other part is the chaotic hours I work.

Many jobs are not about hearing other people. It's about being able to do a job and customer service is only a small part of it. You can also carry around a little pad of paper and a pen for writing notes if you can't understand the customers. Even then, there are jobs out there that don't even involve customer interaction.

Don't give up.

And that's the problem with me too, I'm GREAT with customers, I know how to work customer service to its fullest but my hearing is becoming worse and worse, and its beyond frustrating for me especially when they want me to close at night and STILL serve customers through the glass windows! Its bad enough I can't hear well in person but behind a glass? frustrating! Luckily for me most of my customers are regulars and know about my deafness and most of them are pretty cool about it :)

That's where you can request an accommodation so you don't have to do the glass window bit.

My parents have a big house with a lot of land. I'll be just fine when they are gone from the earth. I dont care about retirement benefits b/c economy is too bad right now.

I must pay for my health care from Medicare. :) Nah,I dont pay rent b/c my parents are rich. I save a lot of money and can buy a brand new car right now.

Temporary for now b/c of economy. Get this, I'm not tax-payer. he he

Im in a lot better off than a lot of people these days. I visit my older brother all the time in DC. He is rich. He has master degree and is an engineer. He helps me out sometimes.

Get a clue,a lot of grown up kids are living with their parents. Sounds like you are living by yourself,ouch!

Why don't you follow your family's examples and become rich yourself? You could do a lot more. If you are using SSI, you can't have more than $2,000 a month in assets. If you having a relative put aside the money for you somewhere else, that is circumventing the SSA's rules.

As for other grown up kids living with their parents, yes it is true. However, most of them ARE pulling their own weight, paying their own bills, buying their own food, etc. I myself am living with my parents but that is because I had moved from another state, tried teaching for a couple years and then got laid off, and now I am going back to school for another degree. I am not mooching off of them, and I have a job to pay my bills.

That's where you can request an accommodation so you don't have to do the glass window bit.

Usually I'll just grab some paper and a pen and explain to the customer I'm hard of hearing (and sometimes will say deaf to them because some people think hard of hearing means selective hearing *shakes head*) and ask if they can write down what they want me to grab for them. Usually their pretty cool about it.

I still need out of this job though.

Why don't you follow your family's examples and become rich yourself? You could do a lot more. If you are using SSI, you can't have more than $2,000 a month in assets. If you having a relative put aside the money for you somewhere else, that is circumventing the SSA's rules.

As for other grown up kids living with their parents, yes it is true. However, most of them ARE pulling their own weight, paying their own bills, buying their own food, etc. I myself am living with my parents but that is because I had moved from another state, tried teaching for a couple years and then got laid off, and now I am going back to school for another degree. I am not mooching off of them, and I have a job to pay my bills.

Im sorry to hear you got laid off. I got laid-off at Longaberger Basket Company so I know how it feels to be laid-off. I was basket-maker. My father got laid off from GE. (General Electric) Good luck to you to get another degree.

I do pay for my own food most of time. I need to learn how to cook. I am horrible cooker. he he

I'm feeling a bit down right now... been searching on indeed.com and I'm trying to find jobs that I could qualify for, but most of them says "must be able to speak, hear" and its lowering my self esteem :( Customer service was my strongest point, but I can barely hear the customers I have now so I'm trying to find a different field.... ugh... someone help me with ideas, I'm about to throw down the towel.

Lady, if you are still interested in going to school. You may try to apply for a SS Disability because it helps V.R. to see what your income and may cover some of the tuitions. So you can search for a part time job that needs to be limited earning according to SSA and VR.

I hope you continues to search for any kind of jobs that keeps you going. I think you are a bright lady that you may go to school that is never too late.

I'm feeling a bit down right now... been searching on indeed.com and I'm trying to find jobs that I could qualify for, but most of them says "must be able to speak, hear" and its lowering my self esteem :( Customer service was my strongest point, but I can barely hear the customers I have now so I'm trying to find a different field.... ugh... someone help me with ideas, I'm about to throw down the towel.

Here is my brainstorm for you:

- small art frame shop (well, you could do that for a temporary job unless you loves it.)
- secretary at a town hall
- small grocery store (uh?)
- a fitness business (i.e. LA Fitness Sports Club - very good one)
- a librarian as a last resort job
- town hall clerk (maybe good one especially benefits)
- non-profit organization job like deaf program in the local town

Hope that helps.

I used to work with hearing kids at the day camp during summer time. The reason is that i thought I would be interested in working with children. BUT I learned something and found it that didn't agree with me. :lol: I loved working with kids, and if i plan to go back to work with kids again. OF COURSE i will apply for deaf school or school that have program for deaf kids. I will go for it. But i didn't chose the field because working with kids are very important and a lot of work. I don't have it in me. :X

I used to work as an entry data jobs at the private company. It was really BORING as hell. But I needed the money.

I did work with food services, stocks at toy r us and work at school as an janitor, newspapers, andpennysavers

My girlfriend is deaf and an asl user. SHe told me that she loves working with home nursing. Apparently, elder people found her very comforting. SHe has been working there for about 5 years.
My other girlfriend is deaf and an asl user. She is a cleaning girl ( i do not know what is it called, anyone can correct me for it) She cleans other people's houses.

My other 2 girlfriend works at the hospital as an entry data and cleaning too.

mmm

Hey, Have you every visiting the Voc. Reh before? if you haven't you can go there and discuss about finding a job. Maybe ask for school information or workship information.

Keep trying! :)

I'm feeling a bit down right now... been searching on indeed.com and I'm trying to find jobs that I could qualify for, but most of them says "must be able to speak, hear" and its lowering my self esteem :(
That's really odd that they include that requirement. I'm sorry that you're hitting that ro*******. :(

Customer service was my strongest point, but I can barely hear the customers I have now so I'm trying to find a different field.... ugh... someone help me with ideas, I'm about to throw down the towel.
Are there any opportunities to work customer service online specifically for replying to deaf customers or text users? I know that sometimes when I correspond with web businesses, it's by emails, so someone is processing them on the other end. Not just businesses but government agencies. Customer service and tech support departments. For some of those businesses, I don't think you even need to live in that location.

Huh? I typed "r o a d b l o c k" . Why was it starred out? Is that a forbidden word?

Have you looked into government jobs? You can try to apply through Schedule A. That is one way I was hired by the government (but they visited my school last year so that's how I get to know the agency I work for).

I think the link is...usajobs.gov

Hey, Have you every visiting the Voc. Reh before? if you haven't you can go there and discuss about finding a job. Maybe ask for school information or workship information.

Keep trying! :)
True. Even if VR didn't help before, there are always new programs and opportunities being added.

Huh? I typed "r o a d b l o c k" . Why was it starred out? Is that a forbidden word?

My guess is that Alex makes money to pay for the site from the Ads, so he doesn't want to let people advertise ******* (Adblock, if that gets filtered) plugins available for Chrome/Firefox, that allow you to not view ads on most websites.

...My girlfriend is deaf and an asl user. SHe told me that she loves working with home nursing. Apparently, elder people found her very comforting. SHe has been working there for about 5 years....
Yes, that's a growing field as the millions of Baby Boomers are becoming elderly.

Back