So I had a job interview today...

With high unemployment in California...which is not surprising to see lot of applicants for one place.

I hope you will get it, Lady Solidarity! :)

There are so many different kinds of job interviews and processes.

My friend told me that his employer set up a 30-minutes-long imaginary scene of sinking ship in the room and 14 potential employees and my friends were aboard this ship. Imagine the ship was sinking and the employer was watching how those people reacted, what they did, what kind of leadership they displayed, and so on. Then the employer chose three out of these 15 people and my friend made it. Then the interviews were set up for them and then my friend won the job competition.

I wont know til at least 2 weeks :( ohhhh is this going to be a longggg two weeks lol

Thanks to everyone for the wishes!

I'm just thankful I wasn't part of the group interviews like my friends were warning me they did. Made things easier :)

I did check out the company's website, and they did have a posting on diversity, equal opportunity. Sooo hoping to get this job! :)

Paid vacations, medical/dental/life insurance, meal discounts, opportunities for advancement

I wont know til at least 2 weeks :( ohhhh is this going to be a longggg two weeks lol

Thanks to everyone for the wishes!

I'm just thankful I wasn't part of the group interviews like my friends were warning me they did. Made things easier :)

I did check out the company's website, and they did have a posting on diversity, equal opportunity. Sooo hoping to get this job! :)

Paid vacations, medical/dental/life insurance, meal discounts, opportunities for advancement

Awesome! Oh the goodies that comes with a paycheck! :)

So a friend just texted me, told me that they just called her for a 2nd interview.... this was the one friend that did the group interview....

She said as long as I haven't received a e-mail back then I still have a shot at it...

Not feeling too confident right now.

700? For one location?

Where I used to work I scheduled interviews all the time and we maybe pulled in 25-50 people in one hiring round. 700 though, wow!

When Walmart opened a store in Chicago in 2006, 25,000 people applied and only 325 could be hired. That says something about the economy, eh?

Goodness! The situation is worse than I thought.

Yeah, I have never been to Chicago, though, so I have no idea how it looks in terms of business structure and service/product availability over there.

But you know, it's not so bad working at Walmart. It's the customers that drive me crazy, flipping a stack of shirts here and tossing some back on the shelf/table, dropping things on the floor, eating food without paying, etc. True story: someone stole two boxes of nut-crusted ice cream bars daily for like a month or so. I had a feeling it was probably an employee finishing up the first shift (I work second) and had a lunch cooler for stowing away the ice cream.

I should apply at walmart, I just saw two guys signing to each other, both with hearing aids! Soooooo discrimination is the least of my worries there :D

Good luck. Hope you'll get hired. :)

Word of advice: it's worth a try applying everywhere they're hiring even if it's public service or walmart.

Good luck! I hope you get it.

Good luck, Lady. Hope you get it. Go for it and apply for Wal-mart too and other places that are hiring. I would not wait on just one job at a time. That way you keep your options open and have a higher chance of finding a job.

Yeah, I have never been to Chicago, though, so I have no idea how it looks in terms of business structure and service/product availability over there.

But you know, it's not so bad working at Walmart. It's the customers that drive me crazy, flipping a stack of shirts here and tossing some back on the shelf/table, dropping things on the floor, eating food without paying, etc. True story: someone stole two boxes of nut-crusted ice cream bars daily for like a month or so. I had a feeling it was probably an employee finishing up the first shift (I work second) and had a lunch cooler for stowing away the ice cream.

I worked clothing retail for 2 years (retail in general for about 5), no thank you!

People can't handle themselves around stacks of anything, they must be turned over and picked through and then left everywhere. Our biggest complaint was that we didn't have food there, which I'm glad never happened because that would have been a completely different nightmare.

Goodness! The situation is worse than I thought.

:confused: I cant believe you have no idea how bad the economy is right now. I am baffled. So many people are desperate for jobs. Men are killing their families b/c they cant feed their kids. Thanks to George W. Bush!!!

California is #1 state in jobs lost. So many factories disappeared. Ohio #2 and Michigan is #3. The economy will be back to normal around 2030.

Ladysolitary: you can always apply for disability at Social Security. (Office and Website) Im sure you are qualified for it. You might want to look into it before you apply. Must not work for 6 months. Each state is different.
(maybe not)

I have medicare and they dont cover dentist and hearing aids. I just got tired of looking for a job and cant hear very good at my interviews. I saved me a lot of trouble. I had to wait for one year before I received medicare insurance.

Good luck. :)

Back