So I had a job interview today...

I was told by my friends who did the group interviews they plan on only hiring 80 out of 700 interviewers.

We had 700 applicants for 6 slots at this school. 150 of us got the group interview. About 20 made it to the final round of interviews. MOST of the people wanted the social studies position (my slot). Your odds are better than mine!

Oooh I wish you luck! And if you don't get it, it's good practice for next time.

good luck to you Oracle! I hateeeee group interviews, you have to be the one to stand out and be noticeable. But teaching gotta be fun :)

Group interviews are a way of responding when there are too many (unqualified) applicants applying for positions. The HR person only has a limited amount of time in the day and can't spend time on everyone, especially if applicants should not be applying due to lack of qualifications and other reasons.

Well I do have about 6 yrs food related experience, fast food and buffet. Loads of customer service experience.

good luck to you Oracle! I hateeeee group interviews, you have to be the one to stand out and be noticeable. But teaching gotta be fun :)

Sometimes they just can't tell from a resume. I know that there were a lot of people at that Open House that had more teaching years than I did, and some even spoke Spanish fluently (which helps in this 'hood) but somehow I made it to that stage AND the final cut! *cross fingers*

Basically...all you can do is wait and KEEP APPLYING!

Do you live near a major town? Some department stores have distribution warehouses and if you are worried about the deaf/hoh issue, that may be suitable. It's not a glamorous job :( but in this economy, it just may work for now. My friend did that for Nordstrom and I think she was making $11.60 an hour to start...not sure if that's enough cash, but you can try.

I'd be willing to look over your resume and cover letter if you want. I'm good with that sort of thing.

Well I do have about 6 yrs food related experience, fast food and buffet. Loads of customer service experience.

ooooh that's good! You should get dressed nicely, print of some fresh resumes, and walk down to some spots and apply in person.

ooooh that's good! You should get dressed nicely, print of some fresh resumes, and walk down to some spots and apply in person.

and 2-3 buttons down? is that how you roll?

No, that's for snagging free dinners from rich men. Not jobs. ;)

GMDC_TOUCHE_Sharenator_Moti_Posters-s355x453-79984-535.jpg

So some of you guys know about my gas station job I've been doing for a little over a year now. I applied at a restaurant called Golden Coral (never ate there or heard of it but who knows right?) I felt intimidated at first because a few friends told me they had their interviews and it was a group interview where they asked each person one question and you had to do a skit. BUT luckily for me my interview was a one on one which I was sooo thankful for! It was more personal. I did tell the manager right off the bat that I'm hard of hearing, and he did have to repeat himself a few times to me but I can only hope its not counted against me.... wish me luck I'll know in 2 weeks yay or nay.

My question though, is why do employers go from group interviews to one on one interviews? Do they do this for a reason?

what is kind of company job!

I found it reason many people don't want to deaf not fair,, It is very reason strict on the control because I didn't understand no sense on who control on boss!

Uh, group interviews?! Wow... That is somewhat a nightmare.

My deaf friend showed up for his job interview at a big company. It turned out that it was a group interview like 30 people without his knowledge. He gave it up to follow up on a test which involved with some of questions on a sound issue. He doesn't want his boss to find out about his job interview during his day off. He can't afford to lose his job because of his mortgages (i.e. house and car). I think he said to me that he didn't request an interpreter because his boss would be so mad to find out that could lead him to be layoff. I can't tell him to get one because it was his business. Do you ever that problem to you? I never thought about a situation to get an interpreter especially looking for another job.

Group interviews?!? Great... another thing for me to overcome. >:/

Very lucky of you to get one-on-one interview and good of you saying your situation straight up before you proceed to show your skills! :)

Hey you know. While you wait for your accept/declined notification, why don't you apply for other similar jobs? You're in a "mood" for hunting jobs. Maybe not so much if you get declined, and then discouraged when looking for another one.

Build it up. Like College applications, Shaving money when you end up not buying that "fancy thing", etc. You know what they say... "Cheap insurance" :)

Keep calling them (to show them that you are still interested). I wish you the best of luck, Ladysolitary85!

Back