So I had a job interview today...

ladysolitary85

Reaction score
So some of you guys know about my gas station job I've been doing for a little over a year now. I applied at a restaurant called Golden Coral (never ate there or heard of it but who knows right?) I felt intimidated at first because a few friends told me they had their interviews and it was a group interview where they asked each person one question and you had to do a skit. BUT luckily for me my interview was a one on one which I was sooo thankful for! It was more personal. I did tell the manager right off the bat that I'm hard of hearing, and he did have to repeat himself a few times to me but I can only hope its not counted against me.... wish me luck I'll know in 2 weeks yay or nay.

My question though, is why do employers go from group interviews to one on one interviews? Do they do this for a reason?

So some of you guys know about my gas station job I've been doing for a little over a year now. I applied at a restaurant called Golden Coral (never ate there or heard of it but who knows right?) I felt intimidated at first because a few friends told me they had their interviews and it was a group interview where they asked each person one question and you had to do a skit. BUT luckily for me my interview was a one on one which I was sooo thankful for! It was more personal. I did tell the manager right off the bat that I'm hard of hearing, and he did have to repeat himself a few times to me but I can only hope its not counted against me.... wish me luck I'll know in 2 weeks yay or nay.

My question though, is why do employers go from group interviews to one on one interviews? Do they do this for a reason?

The company I am working on getting a job at usually conducts a group interview, usually 12 people.

Sometimes they have no people to do the interview with, sometimes they are rushed, etc. Things like that change how people do things.

quick interview can also mean they're fully staffed....

I think sometimes people do group interviews where they also want to see how easily you talk to other people and associate with them, especially if the job requires you to do so as well.

I was told by my friends who did the group interviews they plan on only hiring 80 out of 700 interviewers.

I was told by my friends who did the group interviews they plan on only hiring 80 out of 700 interviewers.

700? For one location?

Where I used to work I scheduled interviews all the time and we maybe pulled in 25-50 people in one hiring round. 700 though, wow!

Here's to hoping you get it though. :)

yea I know that's extremely high odds there but I'm wondering if they took the time pulling me out for a one on one, I might of been one of the luckily ones they were interested in.

heres to hoping at least!

And this is 700 interviews their pulling off before the restaurant opens which will be Aug.

And this is 700 interviews their pulling off before the restaurant opens which will be Aug.

Good Luck!...We have a Golden Corral here and we go there a lot...it's always super busy!...Had a friend who worked in the Bakery (baking bread/rolls)....she didn't work there very long...as the demand for rolls/bread was astonishing!....And it was so hot in there.....But anyhow, it seems to be a lot "safer" job than a gas station, and perhaps not as much communication will be necessary.

yea I know that's extremely high odds there but I'm wondering if they took the time pulling me out for a one on one, I might of been one of the luckily ones they were interested in.

heres to hoping at least!

If they are doing huge group interviews and trying to get 700 people looked at by August...a one on one is probably a good sign.

lol Derek you don't get out much do you? 700 is nothing! My town is just a average size town.

And your right Robin, that's what I'm aiming for. My job doesn't offer vacation, raises, medical, breaks, not even a panic button! not a damn thing. Its screaming dangerous and illegal at me so I'm trying to work where ever I possibly can.

We have 2 or 3 (Maybe more) Golden Corral's here in Jax....very popular Buffet, always crowded...good food! And very clean!...Reasonable prices also and the service is excellent.....

heres to hoping I'm one of the 80 out the 700 people they interview to hire :D

He did have a sticky note as soon as I told him I was hard of hearing though, made me nervous but I tried not to be rude to look at it and focus on him and his questions. He did say its not a problem though.

I hate it when they write down "DEAF" somewhere on the application though. It makes for an awkward moment. I don't mind if it comes to doctors or w/e so they know how to communicate with me, but for jobs? I want them to look at my skills, not my "disability."

Good luck. I just had a 'group interview' with 150 other applicants! I made it to the last round (it's a teaching job), so I'm feeling as nervous as you are.

xoxo

I don't even know if thats what he wrote thats what scares me. I agree though doctors its ok, its their job to make sure your in good health and try to accommodate. he did write a few things on the sticky but it was when he asked about my availability and stuff.

I hate it when they write down "DEAF" somewhere on the application though. It makes for an awkward moment. I don't mind if it comes to doctors or w/e so they know how to communicate with me, but for jobs? I want them to look at my skills, not my "disability."

Some places report their statistics, so it may not be a bad thing. If you never wrote down DEAF or WHITE or HISPANIC or whatever, then it's harder for a company's HR or outside org to determine if they're being potentially discriminatory...kinda sucks both ways. :(

Back