So along comes Miss Amazing.... :)

illuminator

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm in third year college. I randomly met this girl in the library, we happen sit in the same table areas when we study.

So we noticed each other...started noticing each other notice each other, lol....and eventually I went up and introduced myself.

We met and got to know each other. She wears two hearing aids but that doesn't stop her from expressing her ideas which is great! Her level of creativity is unlike anyone I have ever met, she amazes me. She's a bit shy, but she has a great sense of humor! The way she glances at me, her subtle touch, her warm smile....she's got me day dreaming :hmm:

Anyhow, I want to take her out but I want her to feel comfortable. ie. maybe a quiet restaurant where she would not be distracted by too much noise. Any other advice? Also, I could use some advice in terms of when I'm driving her. Ie. would music distract? would opening windows/sun roof be disturbance?

Any tips would be appreciated. I just want to make her feel comfortable and want her to have a fun time!

Thanks,

Sounds like you're really thinking. Yes, a quiet restaurant would be nice. Look for one that has carpeting, at least, instead of only hard surfaces which make sounds harsh and echoing.

Re the music in the car and the windows open, well, you'd almost have to ask her to know. Music might be better than trying to have a conversation in the car, actually, since she might need to see your face while talking, but you need to keep your eyes looking straight ahead while driving!

Re wind noise, again, hard to say. Personally I drive a convertible, turn my hearing aids to a "comfort in noise" setting, and I don't care about the wind noise. But that's me, someone else might feel differently about it. I don't try to have a conversation when I'm in the convertible, either. Just not possible.

Thank you so much Beach girl! You clearly addressed all of my questions, I really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thoughts/ideas from anyone else are also welcome :)

Glad to be of help. Another thought - in the restaurant, the best seating for her is likely to be in a corner booth, where she can sit with a wall behind her and beside her. The absolute worst is a table with people on both sides of you. That makes it really, really hard to focus on one conversation. Try to avoid that seating at all costs.

Also about the car - our other car is a station wagon. If we are using that, and my husband is driving, I don't like to have the windows cracked open because often we are trying to talk, and the wind noise is indeed a distraction.

Good for you for being so considerate, you sound like a keeper ;-)
Best bet is always to ask, but a quieter place is probably a good idea. Somewhere with decent lighting may be good as well (it doesnt have to be BRIGHT, just enough to see each others faces well). As for the car just ask if she wants the radio on, she will probably be happy that you even thought of that!

Thank-you Marcy! You and beach girl brought some important points about the restaurant that never occurred to me.

I'm not sure how self conscious she is about her hearing...judging by her personality, I think she is at least somewhat self conscious about it. Ok....this seems a bit silly/selfish but I pretty much want to play the cards well enough so it would not be a concern to her. I want to take her to the right settings, so from her perspective, she would feel that her hearing was never a question or concern to me. So later on she would reflect that we just casually went out and had a fun time!

Anyhow, besides a quiet restaurant, does anyone have any other ideas?...In other words, what would be an awesome date to you? :)

Thank-you Marcy! You and beach girl brought some important points about the restaurant that never occurred to me.

I'm not sure how self conscious she is about her hearing...judging by her personality, I think she is at least somewhat self conscious about it. Ok....this seems a bit silly/selfish but I pretty much want to play the cards well enough so it would not be a concern to her. I want to take her to the right settings, so from her perspective, she would feel that her hearing was never a question or concern to me. So later on she would reflect that we just casually went out and had a fun time!

Anyhow, besides a quiet restaurant, does anyone have any other ideas?...In other words, what would be an awesome date to you? :)

Take her to an art museum and ask her opinion on the displays. ;)

A date where you do something - bowling, going for a walk someplace interesting, going to a sports event maybe (I became a big baseball fan because a knowledgeable boyfriend started taking me to the Red Sox games when I lived in Boston.) With ticket prices to pro sports events being what they are, that might be an event for further down the line, but maybe a college event of some kind. Do you like sports yourself, and do you consider yourself well-informed about any particular sport that's currently in season? Don't go just to go, only if it's something you think you'll both enjoy.

Any good performances coming up at a casual venue like a coffeshop kind of thing?

I think for a first date, something low-key is actually better than something "awesome." "Awesome" is maybe trying too hard when you just want to get to know each other a little bit.

Are you actually in touch with her now, or are you counting on seeing her at the library again?

Disclaimer: when I first met my husband, we were "just friends" for a few months before we started dating. We went bowling a lot, followed by dinner afterwards. *I* thought we were "just friends," he had ulterior motives. :lol:

It was actually a nice, no-pressure way to get to know each other without either of us getting serious too soon.

Very cleaver Beowulf, I like that one!

That's quite interesting Beach girl, I will keep the sports one in mind down the road. Well yes, we exchanged contact info, we got to know each other, we study, grab a coffee and such, but nothing off campus.

Back