Smashing down the biggest barrier

THANK U for posting this!!!!

This is what I have been trying to tell these parents or oralists..but no luck. See what he said about literacy levels of deaf people were before oralist took over deaf ed? I see the same in deaf children from deaf families..their literacy skills are superior to deaf children from hearing families. That's proof right there..

That's me too...growing up, many hearing people were awed by my abilities to communicate with hearing people despite having a severe profound hearing loss in both ears. What they fail to realize is how much I missed out and how hard I have to work in each conversations to ensure communication goes smoothly.

Of course, the parents and oralists will use CIs saying nowadays are different but still sign language is the only natural language for deaf/hoh children to learn.

AGBell :rl:

Thanks for the very interesting link. :)

But that still does not explain why some deaf people like me that know sign language our whole life and yet still can't write proper English?

But that still does not explain why some deaf people like me that know sign language our whole life and yet still can't write proper English?

Your English seems fine to me. Anyways about some deaf kids using sign language all their lives and still unable to master English...it cud be due to lack of motivation, no parental help, lousy teachers (in the 70s and 80s teachers had low expectations of deaf kids but that's improving), learning disabilities or ADDHD, or no access to language at home? That's why I advocate for BIBI cuz it uses both so the kids can get the best of both rather than just having one or the other. At my school, the speech therapists model spoken language to the kids to help them with their writing. Cued speech cud also help too.

Yeah, dk747,I think I just might bring information here about the eugenics of AGBell, something I am sure certain people here on this board have little if any knowlege of....

Yeah, dk747,I think I just might bring information here about the eugenics of AGBell, something I am sure certain people here on this board have little if any knowlege of....

I've tried in the past to inform regarding the soft eugenics approach to deafness promoted by A.G. Bell, and was accused of being a Deaf Culture militant. But if you want to try again, I've got your back, and have the resources to validate your claims!

Thanks for this link! It was great. Unfortunately, there are stillthose out there that will discount the experience and knowledge of the deaf person based on the advise and theories of the professionalized hearing educators. Oh, well. Guess all we can do is keep trying, and keep repeating it over and over agian for the sake of future deaf generations.

Yea, and children with CIs are still hoh and even hoh adults have complained about missing out a lot growing up. It is gonna all repeat itself cuz of pure denial and the refusal to listen to those who have experienced what it is like to be deaf or hoh growing up without a visual language in the educational setting.

Yea, and children with CIs are still hoh and even hoh adults have complained about missing out a lot growing up. It is gonna all repeat itself cuz of pure denial and the refusal to listen to those who have experienced what it is like to be deaf or hoh growing up without a visual language in the educational setting.

***nodding agreement*** And don't you find it odd that those who claim to be so open minded have not even come in here to discuss this article?

***nodding agreement*** And don't you find it odd that those who claim to be so open minded have not even come in here to discuss this article?

I dont think they recognize the title has having anything to do with CIs...remember that they tend to go in the CI threads not in the other threads. That could be it...it is still early. :dunno:

That what about "Just be yourself" and "Your choice of your life where you want to be" . I respects this person's :)

I dont think they recognize the title has having anything to do with CIs...remember that they tend to go in the CI threads not in the other threads. That could be it...it is still early. :dunno:

You are probably right on that one. Think it could be why they aren't getting all of the information?

Maybe because you had teachers that didn't know the bilingual methods. And I agree with shel. Your English seems fine to me.

Ahh, English ..... how I love their linguistics and grammar. Seriously, I do.

Even though I'm majoring in Information Technology and am on my senior year at college, I should have a degree in English.

Maybe because you had teachers that didn't know the bilingual methods. And I agree with shel. Your English seems fine to me.

I think my English is readable. However, it's not that good enough at college level and I have to have someone proofread my paper before I handle it to my teacher. I have to depend on someone else to proofread my paper, while some of my hearing classmates don't do this stuff. I can't tell if the sentence "sound" right and I always screw up past/present tense in the sentence.

Maybe it's just my weakness, but I honestly believe that English is something that should have be drilled everyday at my deaf school, due to sign language not being same as English. I tends to forget something if not used because I used sign language and not speak English. Method they used, I guess did not work very well for me.

This is why I can read at college level with no problem, but write is still quite off.

I guess I have low esteem issue with grammar because of what I have seen in other deaf people's writing.

Hey Shel90 I am curious, you are a teacher for English classes, am I correct? What method did you use with your students to help them improve their English and to remember the rules?

I think my English is readable. However, it's not that good enough at college level and I have to have someone proofread my paper before I handle it to my teacher. I have to depend on someone else to proofread my paper, while some of my hearing classmates don't do this stuff. I can't tell if the sentence "sound" right and I always screw up past/present tense in the sentence.

Maybe it's just my weakness, but I honestly believe that English is something that should have be drilled everyday at my deaf school, due to sign language not being same as English. I tends to forget something if not used because I used sign language and not speak English. Method they used, I guess did not work very well for me.

This is why I can read at college level with no problem, but write is still quite off.
I guess I have low esteem issue with grammar because of what I have seen in other deaf people's writing.

Hey Shel90 I am curious, you are a teacher for English classes, am I correct? What method did you use with your students to help them improve their English and to remember the rules?

I understand exactly what you are saying, silentwolfdog, and it is a problem that I see in my deaf students all the time. However, you would also be amazed at the number of hearing students that are required to take a developmental/remedial writing course before they can register for a Freshman composition course. I would say approximately 45% or more that come into my college fall into that category. Our Writing Center is by far the busiest tutoring department on campus, and the vast majority seeking their services are hearing. The real problems arise not in the writing skills, as mechanics can always be corrected--it is in the reading skills, and that is most closely related to language deprivation. Reading at college level is the important thing, because without these literacy skills, you are unable to take in the information necessary to learn course content.

By all means, if it will make you feel better about yourself, keep working on those writing skills. But, from what I have seen of your writing skills on this board, I can tell you that you surpass some of the hearing students I know!

Im with this guy all the way.

I was born hoh with complete deafness in my left ear and severe loss in my right ear.

Yes I could be an oralist success due to my speech skills but I still missed out on alot growing up and even now I miss out on alot.

Im all for having a bi-lingual education, but some kids will be better at one or the other as well as those who will good at both.

I dont know a whole lot about CS - but from what I do know it seems to follow English word order more closely than ASL.

I am an elementary ed teacher..I teach all subjects. Right now I work with children who are in 1st grade and just beginning to express themselves using ASL...first they have to build on that before they are ready to read and write..however, I do a lot of modeling with reading and writing and explain to them that it is English and what is ASL. Finally they are starting to understand print concepts..next year, they should be ready to write.

Back