Single dad with deaf 5-year-old daughter

Tim Truett

Reaction score
Hello. My five year old daughter has been gradually losing her hearing and now has no Hearing in one ear and less than 10% left in the other. She had other special needs as well which made it a little harder to diagnose than in a typical child, so now we are trying to learn to adapt to a new world. She will be starting at a school for the deaf this semester for the first time and we are both trying to learn sign language. I am also trying to navigate my way as to how best to help her in terms of determining if hearing aids or a cochlear implant will be viable. In terms of this last item, my ex-wife is making things more difficult by being opposed to my daughter even being assessed to see if these options will work for her. I am looking forward to perusing all the different sections on this forum as there seems to be a lot of good information in what I've looked at so far.

tell your ex-wife it is the law under IDEA that she has to be assessed. Child Find can help you.

Hello. My five year old daughter has been gradually losing her hearing and now has no Hearing in one ear and less than 10% left in the other. She had other special needs as well which made it a little harder to diagnose than in a typical child, so now we are trying to learn to adapt to a new world. She will be starting at a school for the deaf this semester for the first time and we are both trying to learn sign language. I am also trying to navigate my way as to how best to help her in terms of determining if hearing aids or a cochlear implant will be viable. In terms of this last item, my ex-wife is making things more difficult by being opposed to my daughter even being assessed to see if these options will work for her. I am looking forward to perusing all the different sections on this forum as there seems to be a lot of good information in what I've looked at so far.

Back