Simple, define fluency...

afifan91

Reaction score
What does it mean to you? Skill-wise in ASL. Is it someone that can sign, can sign well, someone that is proficient? etc. Someone that knows the culture as well as the language? Someone that can converse comfortably in either ASL or English or whatever? Explain.

For me, being raised hearing, I'll consider myself fluent when I can express myself as well in ASL as in English and understand others as well. I'd settle for being able to sign anything that pops into my head, even if I need to switch it around a bit :)

I didn't realize words had different meaning in ASL. If this is the case, can someone give examples?

What does it mean to you? Skill-wise in ASL. Is it someone that can sign, can sign well, someone that is proficient? etc. Someone that knows the culture as well as the language? Someone that can converse comfortably in either ASL or English or whatever? Explain.

anything.

it means "expert".... "skill"... "smart"...

Oh, that would be basically someone who can talk to me without having to use Apple/Android app or paper/pen to communicate.

It is my fervent hope that some folks will, in due time, realize the importance of maintaining the purity of ASL.

To me, it means when someone is able to converse naturally in ASL at ease and also have a good receptive skill as well.

Back