Silence

Oh, NO!...The Barney song...."I Love you...you love me...we're a happy...fammmmillllly"...that song will be imbedded in my head for a few days....and BTW....songs from back into the late 50's-60's-still play in my head....Guess I'm a Soda Shop Jukebox! HAHA

I thought of the "Head and shoulders, knees and toes" but there you go :aw:

My absolute favorite thing is to go to the library. Since it's normally quieter than most places, it is only place that is 100% silent for me. No vibration of any kind (ie traffic) not even any of the muffled sound that I sometimes can hear in other places. Nobody running around or the hectic visual I get elsewhere. AAAAAHHHHHH! Peace and nirvana.:zzz:

I have signatures hidden, but her profile signs Lorena, which is her name, or one of her AKA's :lol:

There's always something running thru my head, it's never silent. I've musical tennitus. Hampers my concentration. Actually, I do several things at one time, always have more than 1 thing going on. I've heard that hearies can "tune out" voices/music/noises....so they can sleep or meditate....It takes me quite awhile to be able to get to sleep, so I try to exhaust myself before going to bed. There's no way I can ignore the music.

We can. But, I have to tell you all something. I've been sick the last few days with sinusitis. The sinus pressure blocked my eustascian tubes and I've had horrible ear pain and a headache. I WISHED I could just "turn off" the world around me for awhile.

Being hearing isn't all that it's cracked up to be ALL THE TIME.

We can. But, I have to tell you all something. I've been sick the last few days with sinusitis. The sinus pressure blocked my eustascian tubes and I've had horrible ear pain and a headache. I WISHED I could just "turn off" the world around me for awhile.

Being hearing isn't all that it's cracked up to be ALL THE TIME.

Part of my ear malformation involves very short eustascian tubes, so a lot of colds and allegies end up with blocked tubes and lots of pain.

So even deaf you would be likely to have that. :lol:

Hi, it says LORENA :) No, it's actually my name
BSL rules.

Oh now I see it, the second finger-spelling sign IS actually the 4th finger - O, at first it looked like the 3rd finger I. Misread. Sorry. (I use Auslan - same alphabet as BSL).

Guessed as much it was your name. Thanks Lorena. Pretty name. :wave:

I do like turning off my CI when I need to focus on work since it really helps to block out external distractions. I also like doing that when I just need to relax or something.

When my CI is off, usually my brain is pretty active so it's not silence in that respect. I'm trying to get better at increasing focus and reducing the mental "noise" so to speak though.

I think this is a cool advantage of deafness in that you can hit the mute button if you ever feel the need to though!

Part of my ear malformation involves very short eustascian tubes, so a lot of colds and allegies end up with blocked tubes and lots of pain.

So even deaf you would be likely to have that. :lol:

I'm sure. But, the sounds bother me when my ears hurt so bad. I'm feeling better, but the last two days haven't been much fun!

Is it Hillsong? There's a lot of their songs in sign apparently.

I've been listening to a lot of Hillsong that is captioned, but lately, I have been watching videos of AVB that are not captioned, but I can read the lips. I have sung to tapes of theirs since the 80's.

talking about silence. i had an odd moment a few weeks ago in flushing. was standing on a corner leaning up against the way and trying to get a hooker to leave me alone. with all the people there, cars in the intersections, buses stopping and going and planes flying at rooftop level i got feeling a bit strange. then i figured it out- it was sooooooo quiet. i get so used to silence that i frget at times that there actually is sound out there in the world.

I love my silence when I take my hearing aids off.

i've been listening to a lot of hillsong that is captioned, but lately, i have been watching videos of avb that are not captioned, but i can read the lips. I have sung to tapes of theirs since the 80's.

:d

Makes me think about the opening of "Fistful of Steel" by Rage Against the Machine:

Silence
Something about silence makes me sick
'Cause silence can be violent
Sorta like a slit wrist

If the vibe was suicide
Then you would push da button
But if ya bowin' down
Then let me do the cuttin'

Makes me think about the opening of "Fistful of Steel" by Rage Against the Machine:

That's good description, Alex. Even when I have physical silence, I have Nintendo, PSP. PS3, dogs, books....

Silence of nothing is like death. I can do that later when I really have to.

That's good description, Alex. Even when I have physical silence, I have Nintendo, PSP. PS3, dogs, books....

Silence of nothing is like death. I can do that later when I really have to.

It's a good song, Bot. :) Way back when, I used to listen to them to get pumped up to go snowboarding or skateboarding. :rockon:

As for me, I don't think there is ever a time of complete silence. My mind is too active for my own good. I am always thinking about things, running over phrases and conversations I had during the day, mulling over situations in my stories and writing, contemplating issues in my life and the world around me.

I do, however, like to have auditory silence. With my hearing loss, I still hear a lot of sound; it's just that much of it is meaningless. I hear voices but not definitive speech. I hear loud crashes and bumps but don't know where they're coming from. I am more sensitive to sound than hearing people, I think. It makes me tired. So it's nice to have auditory silence.

It's a good song, Bot. :) Way back when, I used to listen to them to get pumped up to go snowboarding or skateboarding. :rockon:

As for me, I don't think there is ever a time of complete silence. My mind is too active for my own good. I am always thinking about things, running over phrases and conversations I had during the day, mulling over situations in my stories and writing, contemplating issues in my life and the world around me.

I do, however, like to have auditory silence. With my hearing loss, I still hear a lot of sound; it's just that much of it is meaningless. I hear voices but not definitive speech. I hear loud crashes and bumps but don't know where they're coming from. I am more sensitive to sound than hearing people, I think. It makes me tired. So it's nice to have auditory silence.

I have the same problem too! My therapist keeps telling me I need to work on my breathing to ensure I achive complete complete silence. It is a challenge because I am very very anal about my life. I just started keeping a journal and one time, I filled over 10 pages in an hour. I was like :shock: when I realized what I did.

Back