Silence

paperclip

Reaction score
Do you feel like you fill “silence” with activity? (computer, texting, eating, etc.) Does anyone practice just enjoying silence? To minimize confusion, you may want to state your definition of silence. I'm just wondering if “silence” is viewed differently between generations or lifestyle. Any thoughts are welcome.

I don't mind silence at all. When I drive, I prefer it.

Do you feel like you fill “silence” with activity? (computer, texting, eating, etc.) Does anyone practice just enjoying silence? To minimize confusion, you may want to state your definition of silence. I'm just wondering if “silence” is viewed differently between generations or lifestyle. Any thoughts are welcome.

Silence, as in when I am not talking or doing anything with my hands? Sure. I can't tolerate staying still, even during class. I normally remedy this by playing with a pen or something.

Or silence as in "no sound"?

I am always doing something, so I guess I don't allow "silence."

There are time when I will just sit quietly and meditate and such. I can't enjoy the radio or things like that, but I will go sit out in the yard. the neighbors think I am nuts, but not all of them know I am deaf. We have airplanes overhead. Living 1 mile from the airport makes for some noise, but, thankfully, I don't hear them.

There's always something running thru my head, it's never silent. I've musical tennitus. Hampers my concentration. Actually, I do several things at one time, always have more than 1 thing going on. I've heard that hearies can "tune out" voices/music/noises....so they can sleep or meditate....It takes me quite awhile to be able to get to sleep, so I try to exhaust myself before going to bed. There's no way I can ignore the music.

After a long day at the office, my CI is turned off. Silence is golden.

There's always something running thru my head, it's never silent. I've musical tennitus. Hampers my concentration. Actually, I do several things at one time, always have more than 1 thing going on. I've heard that hearies can "tune out" voices/music/noises....so they can sleep or meditate....It takes me quite awhile to be able to get to sleep, so I try to exhaust myself before going to bed. There's no way I can ignore the music.

Well - I do have something constantly running through, but at least I have learned to ignore it every so often. Especially when it's music from Barney the purple dinosaur.

Well - I do have something constantly running through, but at least I have learned to ignore it every so often. Especially when it's music from Barney the purple dinosaur.

Oh, NO!...The Barney song...."I Love you...you love me...we're a happy...fammmmillllly"...that song will be imbedded in my head for a few days....and BTW....songs from back into the late 50's-60's-still play in my head....Guess I'm a Soda Shop Jukebox! HAHA

doing computers and texting is actually noisy to me even I am not literally hearing anything. I guess this is my form of communication, I suppose.

Oh, NO!...The Barney song...."I Love you...you love me...we're a happy...fammmmillllly"...that song will be imbedded in my head for a few days....and BTW....songs from back into the late 50's-60's-still play in my head....Guess I'm a Soda Shop Jukebox! HAHA

Now. I have this Christian group running through my head. Been watching their videos on YouTube, but boy is YT very slow tonight.

Your head is young forever.

Like after working a whole shift, taking the HA's out and not having any sound stimulus is an enjoyable silence. I am able to gather my thoughts ponder things.

At home if Im chatting on computer and try to watch the TV I have to decide to do one or the other- so in that sense having another visual stimulus while trying to do other things is noisy.

Is that clear as mud? :D

lol I'm not quiet cuz i type too fast i make noise when I'm on computer when I want silence then I can read up a book if I wanted to.. ;)

We had "country zen" when I was a child. Few people had tvs, radios were for indoors, and it was hot with no air conditioning. We would sit on the porch and "just be". There were old rockers, you could see the mountains, tall trees, long, green grass. Sometimes cars would go by. You would rock and "be". The locusts would sing, and before a rain the tree frogs would sing. It was a droning hum, the rockers on the porch, the frogs and insects, the occasional breeze in the leaves. It was good practice for the later deafness. Kids were told to hush, and to "just be". We were taught that stillness could be an activity, that silence could be noisy, that conversation was not neccessary between good friends. It was enough and satisfying to just ....be.
Yes, I enjoy my stillness, the silence. My own company is very tolerable. I am content within my own skin.

Now. I have this Christian group running through my head. Been watching their videos on YouTube, but boy is YT very slow tonight.

Is it Hillsong? There's a lot of their songs in sign apparently.

Back