Signs of various cultures and religions

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
I found this website to be very interesting.

Islam for deaf people-Sign language- « Revert2007's Blog

I'm trying to catch some of the Islam-specific signs so I can incorporate them into any discussions I might have to interpret in the future.

One curious aspect of Islamic signing is mouth morphemes and expression behind a veil. :hmm:

THIS IS NOT A RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ABOUT ISLAM ITSELF. THIS IS ABOUT THE SIGNS THAT ARE USED.

In fact, I welcome examples of other signs that are religion or culture specific.

These can be useful to know for school classes that are about history, religions, social studies, or current events.

I like to see how the alphabets of different languages are signed, especially alphabets that don't use Roman ABC's.

Hindu story

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N9TPoj0SjI]YouTube - Radha looking for Krishna -www.rkdeaf.com[/ame]

Radha and Krishna were the only specific signs (names) that I noticed.

I really enjoy watching other sign languages. But it makes me nervous too because at this point I am still new enough to ASL that im a bit scared I would end up confusing signs!

:ty:Reba, that was really interesting to watch, I like to learn about these things too:)

Awesome. Now, I know how to sign Krishna, but is it the same sign in ASL,too?

I learned how to sign Muslim. A friend learned it from his Muslim friend.

Well, Buddhism & Hinduism has mudras (hand gestures). I wonder if they mean anything to a person who understands ASL? The thought never crossed my mind until now.

awesome beautiful on impressive sign language religion

If you come across any signs related to atheism, as well, I'd be interested in that. I tried looking for some, and the only thing I saw appeared to basically be "not god believe" or something along those lines.

I was kinda hoping that there was a sign for 'Wiccan' or 'Wicca' other than fingerspelling it. I haven't found one yet. LOL maybe I will create one with AD's help.

I was kinda hoping that there was a sign for Wiccan or Wicca other than fingerspelling it. I haven't found one yet. LOL maybe I will create one with AD's help.
Before you start creating new signs you should ask Deaf Wicca members what sign/s they use.

Hearing people creating signs is a no-no. The only exception is when a hearing terp and a deaf consumer negotiate temporary signs together for a specific event or time period (such as a school semester), and for use in that setting only.

Before you start creating new signs you should ask Deaf Wicca members what sign/s they use.

Hearing people creating signs is a no-no. The only exception is when a hearing terp and a deaf consumer negotiate temporary signs together for a specific event or time period (such as a school semester), and for use in that setting only.

I realize that....I haven't met many deaf Wiccans out there. Hopefully I will & will find out there is a sign. I wouldn't think of doing it on my own, not my place I know that. Thanks for the input.

Back