Signing with one hand

Cosine

Reaction score
i am HoH and would like to start learning some ASL. my big problem is that my left hand and left arm do not function well and have a limited range of motion. my occupational therapists have told me that i've gotten to about the best i can, now. my keyboard typing on my laptop is done with only my right hand. i also have Parkinsons which can add to anything i might try to sign. i am most interested in finding out about one-handed signing.

I've been told, sign as though the other hand is there, if any use use as much as you can even if not complete, a good interpreter will catch on, deaf may often use one hand if holding something or other wise can't use both :type:

i am HoH and would like to start learning some ASL. my big problem is that my left hand and left arm do not function well and have a limited range of motion. my occupational therapists have told me that i've gotten to about the best i can, now. my keyboard typing on my laptop is done with only my right hand. i also have Parkinsons which can add to anything i might try to sign. i am most interested in finding out about one-handed signing.
I have some of the same problems mine will work a little but not much. you have a relay system? zoom or duo? maybe we can talk

Sick and table look nothing alike? Sick isn't the only sign with both hands in the same position, either. What about interested? Satisfied? Died and so on.
I agree that given context in a sentence, most people would be able to receive the message of a two handed sign done with one. People sign a drive with one hand or hold their phone and video sign with the other.

I've been told, sign as though the other hand is there, if any use use as much as you can even if not complete, a good interpreter will catch on, deaf may often use one hand if holding something or other wise can't use both :type:
I have same problem left arm bad but just use best you can it will be OK we will understand.

Back