Signing isn't the Deaf "language"?

Mimsy

Reaction score
Deaf friend told me it is incorrect to say signing is the Deaf language because "language" comes from the French word langue which means tongue-speech.

Does this bother you Deaf for signing to be called language? Curious.

It's splitting hair in fours.

If you want to really, really split hairs, you'll find at the root of almost every word is meaning of another.
Just read the dictionary - "word origins".

Tell your friend to get over it. And himself. or herself, lol

Fuzzy

Living languages evolve and constantly change meanings. Thus ASL is a Language based on current use and definition of the word. the only time his argument would hold water is when talking about dead languages such as Latin..

Deaf friend really got me thinking. When you say "language", it means spoken words. Signing isn't a "language" because it isn't spoken words, it's a totally different way of communicating.

I agree with her, but I also think it doesn't matter since it's accepted that Signing is called a language even if it isn't technically a language.

Just wanted to see if this bothered anyone else like it bothers her. Thank you.

Deaf friend really got me thinking. When you say "language", it means spoken words. Signing isn't a "language" because it isn't spoken words, it's a totally different way of communicating.

I agree with her, but I also think it doesn't matter since it's accepted that Signing is called a language even if it isn't technically a language.

No, languages are not meant to be spoken only. Why should anybody treat sign languages differently? Look at my signature for example.

Interesting how the dictionary defines;language. Oxford Canadian 1991 page 455,

LANGUAGE n 1)words and their use. 2)a system of words, used in one or more countries
3)a system of signs or symbols used to convey information 4)a system of words,phrases and symbols by means of which a computer can be programmed 5)a particular style of wording 6)the vocabulary of a particular group of people-Medical language.

it is a langage not specifically for deaf but deaf people would be majority users.it like welsh lanage mostly welsh use it in though it a british langage.it there for anyone to use but more useful in wales where for many it first langage for many welsh.

What language? Doesn't bother me. Other people can use ASL with me or not. that is their choice.

Interesting how the dictionary defines;language. Oxford Canadian 1991 page 455,

LANGUAGE n 1)words and their use. 2)a system of words, used in one or more countries
3)a system of signs or symbols used to convey information 4)a system of words,phrases and symbols by means of which a computer can be programmed 5)a particular style of wording 6)the vocabulary of a particular group of people-Medical language.

Very poor and outdated definition of Language... or they are referring to multiple definitions depending on the use in context like so many words that have multiple meanings. Look up the word "run" or "set" for example

You can teach a parrot to talk so does that mean the parrot has ability to use language? No it means it has echolalia and it has the ability to speak words by reproducing sounds it hears...

it is a langage not specifically for deaf but deaf people would be majority users.it like welsh lanage mostly welsh use it in though it a british langage.it there for anyone to use but more useful in wales where for many it first langage for many welsh.

I have a cousin, aunt and uncle that live in Wales. Visited there a few years ago and took kids on that real Thomas the Train ride and visited a couple of 1000 year old castles. neat trip.

No, languages are not meant to be spoken only. Why should anybody treat sign languages differently? Look at my signature for example.

No one should treat sign language differently in a bad way. That was not my point. My friend (well, she is not really a "friend"; she is a lady who brings her pets to the vet clinic where I volunteer), anyway this lady is late-deaf and she believes ASL is not a language but instead is a different method of communication. Ok, I don't think I want to get into any more discussions with her about it because it makes my head spin.

What language? Doesn't bother me. Other people can use ASL with me or not. that is their choice.

Like ferrets and cats! :giggle:

Language doesn't have to be verbal as it can be expressed with hands [as you all know]. Language also can be expressed by the body itself. Hence, the words 'body language.'

Just ignore that friend on that aspect. :)

here's the meaning of the word:
Online Etymology Dictionary
put 'language' in search above

as you can see, it is not a 'tongue' only

language Look up language at Dictionary.com
late 13c., langage "words, what is said, conversation, talk," from O.Fr. langage

- as someone rightly pointed out, the words evolve.

Fuzzy

here's the meaning of the word:
Online Etymology Dictionary
put 'language' in search above

as you can see, it is not a 'tongue' only

language Look up language at Dictionary.com
late 13c., langage "words, what is said, conversation, talk," from O.Fr. langage

- as someone rightly pointed out, the words evolve.

Fuzzy

Well, this sure teaches me to do some research before I believe everything I'm told. lol I was told langue means tongue, but I see it means "words". Thank you!

Body language is an example of a different meaning to the same word. it means communication but it is not traditional meaning as its not linguistic...

it's complicated.
originally, in Latin, it does meant "tounge" - L. lingua "tongue," ,so when you say lingua latina you literally mean Tongue Latina (at least in other languages - in Polish we certainly still use "tongue" if we mean "language)-
for example, when we say 'English language" the literal translation in Polish is "English tongue", but in Polish it makes sense.
It translates into 'language', of course, the tongue as a part of anatomy translates as "tongue".

btw, there is a phrase "mother tongue".

~ so, in Latin "tongue", then it evolved into Old French (O.Fr) "langage" - meaning "words, what is said, conversation, talk," - and such a kinda metaphorical meaning remained today.

as many many many words today.

take the word, say, "walk"
look how far it came from today's meaning

walk
O.E. wealcan "to toss, roll," and wealcian "to roll up, curl, muffle up," from P.Gmc. *welk- (cf. O.N. valka "to drag about," Dan. valke "to full," M.Du. walken "to knead, press, full," O.H.G. walchan "to knead," Ger. walken "to full"), perhaps ult. from PIE base *wel- "to turn, bend, twist, roll" (see

Walk | Define Walk at Dictionary.com

You simply can not compare. words evolved from gestures, btw, and pictures, not the other way.

Before the Word, There Was the Gesture | Wired Science | Wired.com
Previously dismissed 'doodles' in French caves could be man's very first attempts to write | Mail Online

It is very easy to understand this theory, and believe. When a group of different nationalities meet, and none speak the others language,
how do they communicate? :)

Fuzzy

It is very easy to understand this theory, and believe. When a group of different nationalities meet, and none speak the others language,
how do they communicate? :)

Fuzzy

By using sign language that my father called Tarzanja. He had Italian relatives that moved to Turkey many many years ago and those cousins spoke only Turkish even though they were Italian, well when they met, they used a made-up sign language that he called Tarzanja because it reminded him of Tarzan trying to communicate to the English rescuers. Tarzan spoke only monkey. lol It worked pretty well.

Last edited:
Back