Signing in the car -- how?

rivenoak

Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right subforum, but...

I have a 6 year old, so he sits in the middle of the backseat in his booster.

In my car, I've always had a 2nd small rearview mirror attached to the center dash vents so that I could see him sign without turning my head.

When he was little and conversations were simple, this was ok. My eyes only had to be off the road for a second or two.

Now that he is older & we talk in sentences rather than a word or two or short phrases, how do I manage to watch the road & be attentive to what he signs?

:ty:

Not sure if this is the right subforum, but...

I have a 6 year old, so he sits in the middle of the backseat in his booster.

In my car, I've always had a 2nd small rearview mirror attached to the center dash vents so that I could see him sign without turning my head.

When he was little and conversations were simple, this was ok. My eyes only had to be off the road for a second or two.

Now that he is older & we talk in sentences rather than a word or two or short phrases, how do I manage to watch the road & be attentive to what he signs?

:ty:

expand your peripheral vision.

expand your peripheral vision.

No shit. Really? :roll::cool2:

Seriously, though, any recommendations on how to do that? I'm a person who does best focusing on one thing/sense at a time. And being in a car assaults my vision as well as hearing, never mind my poor brain. :wink:

No shit. Really? :roll::cool2:

Seriously, though, any recommendations on how to do that? I'm a person who does best focusing on one thing/sense at a time. And being in a car assaults my vision as well as hearing, never mind my poor brain. :wink:

you can buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95 to expand your peripheral vision.

Honestly - if driving with a passenger, your priority is to keep your eyes on the road while driving. I'm deaf and I would only converse with my passengers at stop signs and red lights - otherwise, my eyes are firmly on the road. My children, who are hearing, learned very quickly that I would communicate with them only if the car was not moving and the only allowable exception to this rule is if they need to use the washroom.

Its tough as a deaf person to do a rearview mirror conversation actually.

Deaf car by Coda Brothers display a technique pretty well.
You just need a deaf victim to put in the passenger seat for your child.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrzXRnvePEs]CODA BROTHERS: DEAF DRIVING - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe buy something turbo charged so that the kid will enjoy the ride instead of having to interrupt while car is in motion.

Honestly - if driving with a passenger, your priority is to keep your eyes on the road while driving. I'm deaf and I would only converse with my passengers at stop signs and red lights - otherwise, my eyes are firmly on the road. My children, who are hearing, learned very quickly that I would communicate with them only if the car was not moving and the only allowable exception to this rule is if they need to use the washroom.

Ditto.

But with that said (see above post)...I will confess I'm trying to find a way to be able to make calls while in the car. I'm finding that I really need to make calls but my phone is not big enough. I'm thinking velcro+Ipad2 on the dashboard.

But with that said (see above post)...I will confess I'm trying to find a way to be able to make calls while in the car. I'm finding that I really need to make calls but my phone is not big enough. I'm thinking velcro+Ipad2 on the dashboard.

Do they make a windshield/dash mount big enough for an iPad?

And, I do like the suggestions of a turbo something & teaching him to not interrupt me while driving.

Sometimes he has a plaything to occupy him.

But, the not interrupting bit is a challenge. Last night was one big round of the following. Him in red, me in purple, our favorite colors.
"Jingle Bells..." at top volume, repeatedly.
"Please stop singing that Christmas song, I have to concentrate."
"(blah blah blah, singing made up stuff, blah, blah, blah)"
"Please. Please be quiet."
"(la la la la la.) ...Batman smells."
<OMG, I need noise cancelling headphones in the car> "Please. Just turn down your volume."
"...Robin laid an egg."

ad nauseum.
6 year olds are fun.

Its tough as a deaf person to do a rearview mirror conversation actually.

Deaf car by Coda Brothers display a technique pretty well.
You just need a deaf victim to put in the passenger seat for your child.

CODA BROTHERS: DEAF DRIVING - YouTube

LOL I used to do that all the time when I was in high school and college. I used to sit in back in front of the car looking at the driver and held the handwheel while the driver signs back and forth. Or driver needs to look something in back.
I have not done it for long time and don't plan to do it again anymore. I feel that it is too much work. LOL

I'm already looking forward to this....
Right now a few words/signs are enough, but now that she starts signing back and starts to speak, things get a little bit more complicated.
As long as the radio is turned on, she is happy (most of the time).
Communication if the car is not moving sounds real good.

Back