Signed Songs

At my Alma Mater SUNY New Paltz,
one of the final assignments that students who took ASL would get was to sign a song (usually a pop song) in ASL.

Such as
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Rttt5BMXo"]Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" Sign Language (ASL) - YouTube[/ame] (sorry, there is no CC on this, but the lyrics are here: LADY GAGA - BAD ROMANCE LYRICS)

I don't know enough ASL to be certain, but it looks like the song is being signed word-for-word: "bad romance" (instead of "romance bad", which I think is the correct word order for ASL's noun-adjective). Many of the signs are signed clearly when the corresponding word comes up in the song, which would be unlikely if they were interpreting the song into ASL.

I don't think this assignment is given out so that students can create material for native ASL signers to enjoy -- rather I think the assignment is given because:

1. it's a fun activity for ASL learners to dance in front of class
2. pop songs usually only use a few words, so they are easy targets for translation (of course, some pop songs have subtle meanings that don't translate well or can't be translated, but the low number of words in a pop song makes it seem simple to translate. I've had similar assignments in my Japanese and Mandarin language classes where I had to translate or interpret a short poem or reenact part of a TV show.)
3. it's relevant to the students' interest, assuming they are hearing students.

My favorite ASL interpreted songs has got to be coda brothers' Jingle Bells: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B7ussq_S_Q"]CODA Brothers: Jingle Bells ASL Sign Song - YouTube[/ame]

They also did one of Eye of the Tiger (which is how I learned how to sign "tiger"!) but it's buried in an episode they made: THE CODA BROTHERS SHOW - 2 - YouTube
They also talk for the first minute (from 4:00 to 5:00) about what students should do to make their signed songs better.

* a note of clarification -- I didn't take ASL at New Paltz. What I know is based on what friends who have taken ASL have told me.

Haven't had time to look at all the links yet but I wouldn't call this one ASL.

I was also intrigued by the signer's comments. He's been signing songs for five years at his church but he said he can't hold a conversation with a deaf person! And he thinks that's funny!

"Actually Ive Been Signing (in the church) For About Over 5 Years I Think?

I Can Sign To Different Songs, But I Cant Have A Convo. With Someone...lol

Ardie808"

:jaw:

That tells me, learning songs doesn't aid fluency.

I can see that happening, the guy who does the Blackeyed pea song says he doesnt know ASL, he looks up the signs for the words and puts them together them practices them till he knows it by heart then he performs... I can see that as an example on his behalf. At least they are giving their hearts to the deaf community.

Im kind of wondering something about the deaf community....
While taking ASL I was invited by 2 people there, one was an interpreter at a local church... invited us to attend, not just for the service but to meet others who were deaf, Very nice people and had alot of fun.
The other had a deaf child, her and her older daughter were fluent in ASL but still learning new stuff since the deaf daughter was young. We were invited to their church as well and for a Deaf Social which is the first friday of every month ( bring a dish/meet and greet/mingle and a silent movie ) People were nice meeting the first night, introduced, signed some and had a great night. The following month we went everyone were just a bunch of assholes, the whole night. Someone would be sitting alone at a table or standing in a corner and Id try to make convo and they would flag you off, or walk away... I mean straight up turn and walk away? I wanter to so bad, even though it was a church say 2 words...but I bit my tongue and left...never went back. the lady who invited us asked why we left and why we never came back, I told her what happened, and she was surprised they did that as well. So she said she would ask and find out. So, she called us the following month and told us that they thought I was someone else... Ok, who did they...every one of those asses, think I was? she didnt know and couldnt explain why "everyone" acted that way. Well, I havent been and wont be back there thats for sure. So what gives? And why would they make someone have a negative view of them.... Fake church people, hide behind the book. ( Cant call it a bible for them)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Mod note:

Ok, take it easy guys...this kind of drama is not necessary in public. This should have resolved via PMland.

Thanks.

Mod note:

Ok, take it easy guys...this kind of drama is not necessary in public. This should have resolved via PMland.

Thanks.

Calvin, can you explain pmland to me what is this... and I must of missed the drama, please explain to me so I will know

Thanks
Jacque

Wirelessly posted

Bojaq, PMland is where you take your comments to private messaging, out of the public eye. (Usually when it becomes too personal between posters) You 'missed' the drama because Calvin being a AD forum moderator deleted the comments that were inappropriate for AD's public forum.

Back