Sign-to-English translation.

It fits with the song if you sing it...

"I'd catch an ashame for ya... put my hand on ashame for you, jump in front of ashame for ya"

Um - those aren't the lyrics though ... so it's kind of a moot point there.

I've bolded the part of the lyrics attached to the sign in question.

The lyrics are:

Easy come easy go, that's just how you live
Oh, take, take, take it all but you never give
Should've known you was trouble from the first kiss
Had your eyes wide open, why were they open?

Gave you all I had and you tossed it in the trash
You tossed it in the trash, you did
To give me all your love is all I ever asked
'Cause

what you don't understand is
I'd catch a grenade for ya
Throw my hand on a blade for ya
I'd jump in front of a train for ya
You know I'd do anything for ya
oh oh oh oh

I would go through all this pain
Take a bullet straight through my brain
Yes, I would die for you, baby
But you won't do the same

No, no, no, no

Black, black, black and blue, beat me 'til I'm numb
Tell the devil I said, hey, when you get back to where you're from
Mad woman, bad woman, that's just what you are, yeah
You'll smile in my face then rip the brakes out my car

Gave you all I had and you tossed it in the trash
You tossed it in the trash, yes, you did
To give me all your love is all I ever asked
'Cause

what you don't understand is
I'd catch a grenade for ya
Oooh
Yes, I would die for ya, baby

If my body was on fire
Ooh, you'd watch me burn down in flames
You said you loved me, you're a liar
'Cause you never, ever, ever did, baby

But darling, I'd still catch a grenade for ya

Yes, I would die for you, baby

No, you won't do the same
You wouldn't do the same
Ooh, you never do the same
No, no, no,oh

I'm actually thinking it might be her just gesturing 'wiping tears away' from her face/cheek in a way so it blends into the next line...

"I'd go through all this pain"

She's trying to turn poetry in English into poetry into ASL, so it's not a direct word to sign correlation, but rather the meaning of the phrase. ASHAMED fits in the sense that he's ashamed to admit that he would commit these acts for the love of this woman even though she wouldn't do the same for him. I meant "HUMILIATION" as a synonym for this meaning, even though the signs for each are separate for HUMILIATE and ASHAMED.

~ Audrey Arndt, hearing, ITP student

I see nothing in the lyrics that indicate any amount of shame, resentment or anything else for the disparity in the two people's feelings.

There's nothing at all to indicate that it should be read as "I'm ashamed that I feel this way and you don't".

Um - those aren't the lyrics though ... so it's kind of a moot point there.

I know, but I thought it was funny that 'ashame' fits in quite well without breaking the rhythm.

I asked a friend (interpreter student) last night who thinks she's seen it's signed like that.

I see nothing in the lyrics that indicate any amount of shame, resentment or anything else for the disparity in the two people's feelings.

There's nothing at all to indicate that it should be read as "I'm ashamed that I feel this way and you don't".

Fair enough, Anji. It's all about the interpretation and interpretation is going to differ as much in English-ASL as it does in Biblical theology (I noticed your profile said that you're in seminary school).

How I read it is this: A man is so distraught and frustrated that his love is unrequited, he's expressing his heartache by listing all these examples of all the things he would do for her. But, he's really bitter about these feelings for her (shown after the first chorus). To me, this would indicate that he wishes he didn't feel this way, but he does. Thus, the shame.

At least, if I was interpreting the song into ASL, I'd want to capture that bitter anguish. However, someone with a completely different interpretation could come along and show the story from an alternate perspective. I haven't done many song interpretations because they're really hard - like I said before, it's putting poetry in English into poetry in ASL. Contextual meaning is going to differ while interpreting from one culture to another and the rhyming schema in an auditory language isn't going to translate into a visuo-gestural language the same way (in fact, I have no idea how to visually rhyme in ASL, or if that's even a thing).

I can't speak for the OP, but all that was asked was what did that sign mean, as in...if you used that sign what would it mean. Perhaps forget about the song lyrics and think about the sign's use in day to day conversation. As far as I can find that sign as described doesn't mean shame, ashamed or humiliation. If it's a local area sign for any of those meanings, it doesn't appear to be one anybody other than the interpreter for the song knows. I'm just trying to satisfy my curiosity. I love learning new signs and the difference in regional interpretations.

I believe it means "second nature," like sacrificing herself is just something she does without even thinking about, it it comes so naturally to her.

Please don't take this the wrong way people, but I'm not sure having a bunch of ASL students "guessing" really helps.

Also, for those who are in ITP etc, please keep in mind that while there is a certain about of "interpretation" permitted - it's also important that when interpreting you don't create something that isn't there.
It's one thing to "stylize" something for a song video, but it's a whole other kettle of fish if you start inserting your own opinions into an English/ASL interpretive setting with a client etc. (It's also dangerous, and unethical).

"I'd go through all this pain"

She's trying to turn poetry in English into poetry into ASL, so it's not a direct word to sign correlation, but rather the meaning of the phrase. ASHAMED fits in the sense that he's ashamed to admit that he would commit these acts for the love of this woman even though she wouldn't do the same for him. I meant "HUMILIATION" as a synonym for this meaning, even though the signs for each are separate for HUMILIATE and ASHAMED.

ASL sign for HUMILIATE | American Sign Language dictionary

sign language

Definition

feel shame; chagrin
Synonyms

Structure

Note

means shames.. definition..

that is correct.. to ashames likes same shames.. that is correct no matter. Dont be confusing to mixing to up....have problem to have anytimes to troubles..

Back