Sign Language

I started learing ASL when I met allisonjoy and comlkicated at school. They were mainstreamed into my high school. That was sophmore year (I was about 15). Then I took ASL classes at RI School for the Deaf (allison's mom was my teacher this last class). Now I'm not sure what I'll do. I'm going to college and Manny told me that Smith college is a bad place to go for deaf studies, but I think that's the only other college that offers it. :(

I learn signs with my mom when I was 3 but not that very skilled til I live in North of Alabama when I was 8 years old I learn more and more afterward moving to Texas and Missouri.... contuine on. :D I lost SEE when I moved to Texas, all I know is ASL and know some of SEE sometimes. :(

Originally posted by illustrator
Where or when did you learn how to use sign language?

I started learning SEE when I was about 18 months old. Both parents hearing, so they learned SEE first for the next 5 years until I was enroled into CSDF (California School for the Deaf, Fremont) where I learned ASL.
*laughing* I remember the first few weeks at CSDF...when I came back home on the weekends...I'd sign a new ASL sign to my deaf sister who hadn't enroled at CSDF at the time. (she enroled a year after I did) The sign I signed was 'Blockhead' and 'peahead' - both Mum and sister didn't know what it meant and I refused to tell them what it meant, so I ended up punished and standing in a corner for that. :P

Now my sister and Mum and myself all laugh over that. :o :rofl:

Since moving to Australia 5 years ago, I've learnt AUSLAN (Australian Sign Language) - it's similar to BSL (British Sign Language), VERY different from ASL, I'm telling you. :)

Goldie

I was diagnosed with hearing loss in November of 2002. So am now HOH.
I started ASL classes in January 2003 because although my hearing aid helps it doesn't seem to be much good if we are in a crowded place or if there is alot of background noise. My husband is also learning ASL. Previously I went to Flagler College which is next to the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind. Several students at Flagler were Deaf or HOH and they offered a Deaf Ed Major so there was alot of sign. I picked up some there. Now I am going to go to college to learn how to Interpret.
I like ASL..it's fun and I seem to pick it up easily. I've also been going to Deaf Socials and ASL get togethers. It's been a really cool experience. I am glad that I choose to learn ASL.

Originally posted by faeflora
I was diagnosed with hearing loss in November of 2002. So am now HOH.
I started ASL classes in January 2003 because although my hearing aid helps it doesn't seem to be much good if we are in a crowded place or if there is alot of background noise. My husband is also learning ASL. Previously I went to Flagler College which is next to the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind. Several students at Flagler were Deaf or HOH and they offered a Deaf Ed Major so there was alot of sign. I picked up some there. Now I am going to go to college to learn how to Interpret.
I like ASL..it's fun and I seem to pick it up easily. I've also been going to Deaf Socials and ASL get togethers. It's been a really cool experience. I am glad that I choose to learn ASL.

Welcome to AD, faeflora! :wave: I hope you find this forum an educational and fun place to be at.
Be patient and have perservence in not giving up on your hearing level, smile. I'm profoundly deaf myself and have grown up deaf since birth...really do love the ASL language as it's such a beautiful language!
I miss it because Australia doesn't use that...they use their own version of sign language called AUSLAN. :) Very similar to BSL (British Sign Language).

Cheers,
Goldie

Now I'm not sure what I'll do. I'm going to college and Manny told me that Smith college is a bad place to go for deaf studies, but I think that's the only other college that offers it.
I would think that's true b/c of Smith's affliation with Clarke. There are lots of other Deaf studies programs around. Northeastern (maybe Harlan Lane would be your advisor!) and BU offer it...I think maybe Emerson might offer it too, unless it only offers Commuication Disorders. I know it has an ASL program. None of the state schools as far as I know, offer it (I'm hoping to maybe change that) You could maybe go to Gally as they now accept hearing students!!!!!!

Hey has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a LOT more late-HOH young folk getting into the whole ASL/Deaf culture thing?

I learned sign language at age 18 *ops*

I was deaf! (Oralism)
I´m Deaf! (Sign)

:ily:

I learned sign when I started going to OSD when I was 17. My deaf roomate help me to learn alot. :D

Hehe, my mum told me a cute story when I was at an oral center... I was bored with learning to lipread, so I picked up a book and made up signs for each picture (one of those picture books). So then Mum knew signing was for me, so I grew up learning Signed English which helped my English skills. I learnt Auslan a few years ago, and I'm pretty good at it now I think hehe. I can still talk though.

Ziusudra

Agh.. I started learning sign language when I was a baby, preschool...
When I entered 6-8th grade, I started to learn ASL..
I like English better than ASL but it both works the best. :D

Back