sign language versus ear implants

Bebonang

Reaction score
[/LEFT][/B][/SIZE]I just Learn from my deaf friend who forward the article from Sun Newspaper in Ontario, I think. It is about having a deaf college in Milton on the free land and we are looking forward to having one instead of going to the States. What I am concern about is we are still going back to the oral instead of sign language that now the babies who are being screen and adults who want to use implants. What I mean to say is that every deaf will have a cochlear implants will be able to hear better and the hearing authority think that we can use the oral instead of sign language. They don't get it if they don't understand that we will always be deaf just because the sound will be better than being deaf. We love using the sign language and it has help us open door to understanding what we deaf are saying but we are still having trouble not understand hearing people either. Deaf schools in London, Belleville and Ottawa in Canada dropping asl and more than 2,400 deaf and hard of hearing students attend schools with special help. I was in oral school for both elementary and high school back in the middle of 1950 and middle of 1960. I thought we got mainstream with interpreters no matter what school we attends. Now enrollment at Gallaudet University slipped 1,800 last year from 2,350 in 1990. The battle is still on for oral. There must be something we can do to change the mind of hearing authority that we deaf still want sign language interpreters and getting special needs for our hearing impaired students. It is like the same thing when Gallaudet Univeristy have a hearing president when we want to have a deaf president. We want asl and we are proud of using our asl. The hearing society should not be ashame of our sign language as it is the deaf way. So what do you think of the news that we are still having a battle with the oral authority? :ty:

do you have much of a choice in the matter? This is the power of socialized medicine..

I have heard that in Sweden, 90% or more of all deaf children are implanted.. children are tested young and implanted very early in life.. It seems that by implanting a child early the government can save money in the long run. I have also heard similar actions taken in other countries as well

Deaf children with CIs can benefit from ASL but too bad many people think oral-only language is what they need not both.

[/LEFT][/B][/SIZE]I just Learn from my deaf friend who forward the article from Sun Newspaper in Ontario, I think. It is about having a deaf college in Milton on the free land and we are looking forward to having one instead of going to the States. What I am concern about is we are still going back to the oral instead of sign language that now the babies who are being screen and adults who want to use implants. What I mean to say is that every deaf will have a cochlear implants will be able to hear better and the hearing authority think that we can use the oral instead of sign language. They don't get it if they don't understand that we will always be deaf just because the sound will be better than being deaf. We love using the sign language and it has help us open door to understanding what we deaf are saying but we are still having trouble not understand hearing people either. Deaf schools in London, Belleville and Ottawa in Canada dropping asl and more than 2,400 deaf and hard of hearing students attend schools with special help. I was in oral school for both elementary and high school back in the middle of 1950 and middle of 1960. I thought we got mainstream with interpreters no matter what school we attends. Now enrollment at Gallaudet University slipped 1,800 last year from 2,350 in 1990. The battle is still on for oral. There must be something we can do to change the mind of hearing authority that we deaf still want sign language interpreters and getting special needs for our hearing impaired students. It is like the same thing when Gallaudet Univeristy have a hearing president when we want to have a deaf president. We want asl and we are proud of using our asl. The hearing society should not be ashame of our sign language as it is the deaf way. So what do you think of the news that we are still having a battle with the oral authority? :ty:

I agree with you 100%...:fingersx:

If that is the case, I'd probably blame some of those kids with CIs thinking that they're "cured" and no longer need sign language. :dunno:

do you have much of a choice in the matter? This is the power of socialized medicine..

I have heard that in Sweden, 90% or more of all deaf children are implanted.. children are tested young and implanted very early in life.. It seems that by implanting a child early the government can save money in the long run. I have also heard similar actions taken in other countries as well

Along with those implants, Sweden has a wonderful early intervention program that is required prior to implantation that provides sign language instruction to both parents and children, as well as the deaf child's sibs, if applicable. They also facilitate exposure tot he deaf community. And these services are contiunued in follow up post implant. They create a very different situation surrounding the implant issues than does the United States.
Their focus is a very progressive one that encompasses all issues and creates a rich linguistic environment. The States would do well to model their policies on Sweden.

[/LEFT][/B][/SIZE]
There must be something we can do to change the mind of hearing authority that we deaf still want sign language interpreters and getting special needs for our hearing impaired students.

We can wait for evidence to show up that oral method is failing our kids or we can wait for proof from Sweden that their system works.
Or we can do something now like collecting data. I don't know how to go about to get data because of the privacy laws. (Shel90, Can you help me out on this? Also how do we make it on the same level as the experts? as in authentic) We could ask the child if he/she has CI, find out the child's reading level, writing level, speaking skill (?), and age. Anybody have more ideas that can be added to the list??

We can wait for evidence to show up that oral method is failing our kids or we can wait for proof from Sweden that their system works.
Or we can do something now like collecting data. I don't know how to go about to get data because of the privacy laws. (Shel90, Can you help me out on this? Also how do we make it on the same level as the experts? as in authentic) We could ask the child if he/she has CI, find out the child's reading level, writing level, speaking skill (?), and age. Anybody have more ideas that can be added to the list??

If you are really interested in doing a full blown research project, I will work on getting one written up. That way, if shel is also interested, we could collect data from several different areas of the U.S.

Deaf children with CIs can benefit from ASL but too bad many people think oral-only language is what they need not both.

For hoh don't need that both they can talk real good not like deaf who do need asl only. Becuz I know deaf can't understand talking to hearing parent but hoh dont have much plm.

For hoh don't need that both they can talk real good not like deaf who do need asl only. Becuz I know deaf can't understand talking to hearing parent but hoh dont have much plm.

Hahahaha, you crack me up, man!

My question for you.. are u deaf or hearing??

If you are really interested in doing a full blown research project, I will work on getting one written up. That way, if shel is also interested, we could collect data from several different areas of the U.S.

This is not about Sweden, but it is about a new college in Milton, Ontario in Canada. It is good to know that someone like Buffalo and you trying to work out the research about the oral over the sign language while many CI students are thinking about going into College. I have never gone through the research to study about what happen to the deaf community especially in the deaf education. I am not a teacher, just an ordinary native housewife and aging as a baby boomer. So if you want to research, that is fine with me and go for it. I think it is a headache trying to solve the problem like this but with deaf schools you might get some information about that. I will pray for you and will try to guide you both if you need my help. Just take it easy and not to overdo too much. You are really special when you are determine on that.
:bowdown: :fingersx: :ty:

This is not about Sweden, but it is about a new college in Milton, Ontario in Canada. It is good to know that someone like Buffalo and you trying to work out the research about the oral over the sign language while many CI students are thinking about going into College. I have never gone through the research to study about what happen to the deaf community especially in the deaf education. I am not a teacher, just an ordinary native housewife and aging as a baby boomer. So if you want to research, that is fine with me and go for it. I think it is a headache trying to solve the problem like this but with deaf schools you might get some information about that. I will pray for you and will try to guide you both if you need my help. Just take it easy and not to overdo too much. You are really special when you are determine on that.
:bowdown: :fingersx: :ty:

Thank you for your support! I would love to get a research project off the ground. Just ordinary people like you say you are provide the most valuable information!

HAHAHA! Funny.

HOH do have problems with understanding; just like the deaf do. And HOH do need Sign just like deaf. not all HOH understand what is going on.

I know because I lived with a HOH guy for 6 years, and I grew up with a few people who were HOH.

HAHAHA! Funny.

HOH do have problems with understanding; just like the deaf do. And HOH do need Sign just like deaf. not all HOH understand what is going on.

I know because I lived with a HOH guy for 6 years, and I grew up with a few people who were HOH.
I agree with you!! I went thru the same thing.

Many people look at the world around them. The world in which their child will grow up. And in that world, hearing, and being able to speak is a huge benefit over learning a beautiful language like ASL (or any other sign- language.)
That does not mean that sign-language is dicarded. Sign language will be used anyway between child and parents, but will very likely not reach any high level. When the child can hear, focus will be on training the ear and brain. Signs will be used in the transition phase, but hearing will take over.

And with both sign-language and speech requiring time and effort in order to get to a good level, doing both can be a very taunting task.
Choosing one above the other is a very reasonable solution....

And from my own experience.... (for what it's worth) ... the child willl lead the way.... it will show which means of communication is preferred.... and it's view may change over time. As long as there is room for that, communication will be there...

Back