sign language not a real language?

I would like to learn some idioms and expressions. Like I know train go sorry, and holier than thou, by a hair.... What are some more? So I can ask my deaf friends how to sign them. Or maybe you all can describe the sign to me if you want. Thanks, robbie
Robbie... Go to ASLPro.com Home There you will find how to sign many words.. good luck!

Ask your friend to read some of the scholarly works written about ASL, particularly William Stokoe's groundbreaking research from the 1960s and Ursula Bellugi's linguistic research into how the brain processes ASL. If he doesn't know about any of this then he is in no position to make "opinionated" decisions about matters that are based in fact.

Good advise! He might also want to delve into a little Harlan Lane, and some of the numerous research papers from major universitties conducting linguistic research. Stokoes work was unprecedented, and the basis for all linguistic research on ASL since. Bellugi was innovative in her research on the different cognitive processes used for auditory processing and visual processing of language.

This fellow obviously does not consider language to anything other that auditory/ aural and equates the visual language of signs to the auditory aural languages. That's comparing apples and oranges and leads to ignorant misperceptions.

Back