Sign Language Moments

carrigantm9636

Reaction score
In the HA/CI board there are threads for funny or touching moments when you either first used your HA/CI or something funny happened because of either one. I have had many funny sign language moments and I'm sure some of you do too.

For example, when I was just getting back into using sign again after not having used it for years, I once asked a man if he was a hamburger instead of if he was married. Now THAT was embarrassing! :Oops:

I've told this story before, but it always sticks in my mind as a moment of awakening involving sign language, so I will tell it again. It is one of the most important moments of both mine and my son's life.

When my son was diagnosed, it was recommended that we not use sign. After about 6 months, I saw that he was becoming extremely frustrated and was not improving in his ability to communicate. I started to investigate the use of sign. I purchased some flash cards with pictures of everyday items and the printed words on them, bought a sign dictionary, and set about teaching myself a few signs.

He got up for breakfast one morning, and after eating, I showed him a picture of a pair of pants, and then made the sign for "pants". He looked at me, looked at the picture, and ran back into his bedroom. He returned with a pair of pants in his hands, dropped them at my feet, and signed, "pants". He had the biggest grin on his face! He understood communication for the first time. I requested pants, he understood that I wanted him to bring me a pair of pants, and he did what I was asking. All the oral methodology in the world had not accomplished communication on that level. He could look at me and say pants, but he could not grasp the communication of being asked to bring me a pair of pants. He grasped for the first time that the sign represented the thing. The rest is history.

I've told this story before, but it always sticks in my mind as a moment of awakening involving sign language, so I will tell it again. It is one of the most important moments of both mine and my son's life.

When my son was diagnosed, it was recommended that we not use sign. After about 6 months, I saw that he was becoming extremely frustrated and was not improving in his ability to communicate. I started to investigate the use of sign. I purchased some flash cards with pictures of everyday items and the printed words on them, bought a sign dictionary, and set about teaching myself a few signs.

He got up for breakfast one morning, and after eating, I showed him a picture of a pair of pants, and then made the sign for "pants". He looked at me, looked at the picture, and ran back into his bedroom. He returned with a pair of pants in his hands, dropped them at my feet, and signed, "pants". He had the biggest grin on his face! He understood communication for the first time. I requested pants, he understood that I wanted him to bring me a pair of pants, and he did what I was asking. All the oral methodology in the world had not accomplished communication on that level. He could look at me and say pants, but he could not grasp the communication of being asked to bring me a pair of pants. He grasped for the first time that the sign represented the thing. The rest is history.

It's very much like that moment when Helen Keller learned the word water.

Jillo, I'll bet the feeling you had that moment was probably one of the best feelings u have ever had as a mom!

I was teaching my students and showing them the difference between the ASL version and the SEE version of dinner. When I signed the SEE version of dinner, my hand was in the "d" shape and instead of placing it on my chin, I placed it on my nose and I kept doing that until my aide gave me this :eek3: look. I was like "What's wrong?" She said I had been signing "dick" not "dinner".

OOOPSS!!! I told my kids, wrong placement and corrected myself. I dont think they realized it. I was mortified!!!

Jillo, I'll bet the feeling you had that moment was probably one of the best feelings u have ever had as a mom!

I was teaching my students and showing them the difference between the ASL version and the SEE version of dinner. When I signed the SEE version of dinner, my hand was in the "d" shape and instead of placing it on my chin, I placed it on my nose and I kept doing that until my aide gave me this :eek3: look. I was like "What's wrong?" She said I had been signing "dick" not "dinner".

OOOPSS!!! I told my kids, wrong placement and corrected myself. I dont think they realized it. I was mortified!!!

That is too funny! And you are right....it is right on top of the good mom feelings!

Now you guys reminded me of my former boss who took sign language course. He was telling me about a lady in his class who works in a nursing home where there were few deaf patients. She would tell them that it is time for church. She didn't know sign language but made up some signs. Her way of signing 'church' (as in a steeple) looks exactly like 'vagina'. Poor lady was blushing when the teacher told her what it really was. I told my boss that those deaf seniors need some laughs and they got them.

:laugh2:
Now you guys reminded me of my former boss who took sign language course. He was telling me about a lady in his class who works in a nursing home where there were few deaf patients. She would tell them that it is time for church. She didn't know sign language but made up some signs. Her way of signing 'church' (as in a steeple) looks exactly like 'vagina'. Poor lady was blushing when the teacher told her what it really was. I told my boss that those deaf seniors need some laughs and they got them.

That one gave me a laugh too!

Not exactly an ASL moment, but one time I was hanging out with my friends at a get together in Ely (student building) My friend JT started making a frantic up and down motion on his chest. I looked at him, and asked "Why are you saying you're horny?" Turns out he'd been trying to draw my attention to the fact that my fly was down LOL.

My ITP classmate was interpreting for a bunch of deaf people at dinner once and apparently conveyed that the dish came with steamed virgins (instead of vegetables). Wish I'd been there.

My roommate tried to talk about a slice of pie but said "vagina" instead. This was a very funny conversation because I didn't know she meant "pie". :bowlol:

Great story, Jillio! Like Reba said - a pah! moment (Good post, Reba) :)

Hubby, a new signer, was at a silent dinner, and trying to describe a story about a pilot in a fighter plane. When he got to the part about the bullets piercing the cockpit windshield, he used the wrong classifier. Instead of several bullets piercing the windshield, he described several (dominant index finger) sexual body parts being inserted into small round body openings (non-dominant "O" hand). His story didn't get the reaction that he expected. Blush!

Hubby, a new signer, was at a silent dinner, and trying to describe a story about a pilot in a fighter plane. When he got to the part about the bullets piercing the cockpit windshield, he used the wrong classifier. Instead of several bullets piercing the windshield, he described several (dominant index finger) sexual body parts being inserted into small round body openings (non-dominant "O" hand). His story didn't get the reaction that he expected. Blush!

OOOH That is so hilarous!!!! What did your hubby do when he realized his error?

All of your moments made me laugh. Here is one I just remembered

My friend who lives in PA came down for my baby shower 2 years ago. She was asking people for the cake but I guess the sign for cake in PA is different from what Marylanders use. My friend was going around asking people "Where is the cake." Everyone was like "Where is who? What are u talking about??" My friend was like "no, where is the cake?" When I saw her asking that, I was like :eek3: "Who is a whore here?" She was like what?! She had been putting her hand on the side of her face with the fingers facing her cheek and extending them out. She said that is the PA's way of signing cake and I said that is the MD's way of signing whore. No wonder all of my friends looked at her funny. She was so embarassed and now we call her the "cake" girl whenever she comes to MD for a visit. After two years, we still wont let her live it down. :giggle:

My ITP classmate was interpreting for a bunch of deaf people at dinner once and apparently conveyed that the dish came with steamed virgins (instead of vegetables). Wish I'd been there.

Did the virgins complain about being steamed? Sounds painful.:giggle:

These stories are cracking me up! Keep 'em coming!

I was studying in a place with a lot of students and I saw 2 people talking. Their signing was terrible - very SEE and fingerspelling. I was rude and watched because I couldn't stop looking at the bad signing and realized they were talking about how great "ASL" is (they do not use ASL) because they can talk about sex in public! And they did! With details! And big arm movements! I stopped watching after a while because I realized they have a private conversation......in public :smash: :laugh2: I wait until many minute after they finish and talk with them - they are hearing and are learning ASL in a class with my friend. I am now friends with one. I told him I saw his conversation and probably he should not talk in public like this because everyone can see. He was embarassed but thought it was very funny. Me also and now I know a lot about him because of this conversation! :giggle:

OOOH That is so hilarous!!!! What did your hubby do when he realized his error?
It took him a while to figure out what was wrong. He was like "What--what's wrong?" :confused: The other guys just laughed and didn't explain. Finally, someone explained to him what happened. It didn't bother him that much (he's a very laid back person) except he was irritated that his story was interrupted. :lol:

Back