Sign Language Moments

Back in high school, a hearing boy was crushing BIG time on a deaf classmate. He came to me in private and told me he reallyreallyreally liked that girl and wanted to know how to sign "Hi how are you?" so he could meet her. With a straight face I taught him "Hi, let's get naked".

At lunch time he finally worked up the courage to approach her and started signing what I taught him(perfectly I might add!).... She was SO shocked and offended she actually hit on the shoulder! Poor guy was so surprised and confused.....

They got married after she graduated. I was best man at their wedding.....

p.s. last I heard, they have 6 kids.. Guess those signs did the trick after all!

:giggle: That's a great story to repeat over the years.

Todays ASL moment

Today I decided to drive all the way into Salem and shop
because the weather forcast is for freezing and I didn't
want to get stuck with low food storage. So my son and
I decided to attend services at the Salem Friends Church
as they have a Deaf group there. We arrived on time at
10:30, (I was patting myself on the back because I am
normally always late). My son went to get out of the car
and ripped his pants! Now we couldn't go into Church with
his family jewels showing, so we drove around Salem to
find a Goodwill and bought a pair of pants that fit him.
But we were now kind of lost, and we looked and looked
for the Church. After seeing a sign that said Newburg so
many miles I realized we were going the wrong way. By
the time we got back to Church it was 12:15! Pot Luck
was just starting. Feeling guilty because I missed Church
and having to shop on Sabbath anyway, I was just about
to leave. A Deaf person suggested I come and join pot luck.
When I signed about our experience, she thought it was a
wonderful, funny story and insisted I come and eat and tell everyone!
Well we had a wonderful time practicing our sign and eating
too much. Made two new Deaf friends too.

I am deaf myself but mostly use oral communication, however I am a respite worker and I work with many inidividuals with a range of dis/abilities. I also work at a camp for kids with dis/abilities. I had worked with a 4 year old who was profoundly deaf for over a year. Some of his signs weren't ASL but homemade. An example is that he used the ASL sign for socks as the sign for line. So when I was working at the camp with a 12 yr/o who was completely fluent in ASL and told her to go stand in line but used the sign for socks she looked at me sooo confused and signed back you want me to go stand in my socks? and I said yes not realizing. A moment later I caught on and we both thought it was very funny. She made a point of telling all of the other staff at the camp what had happened and now every year when i show up at the training week someone promptly reminds me of this story! It will go down in camp history lol!

I am deaf myself but mostly use oral communication, however I am a respite worker and I work with many inidividuals with a range of dis/abilities. I also work at a camp for kids with dis/abilities. I had worked with a 4 year old who was profoundly deaf for over a year. Some of his signs weren't ASL but homemade. An example is that he used the ASL sign for socks as the sign for line. So when I was working at the camp with a 12 yr/o who was completely fluent in ASL and told her to go stand in line but used the sign for socks she looked at me sooo confused and signed back you want me to go stand in my socks? and I said yes not realizing. A moment later I caught on and we both thought it was very funny. She made a point of telling all of the other staff at the camp what had happened and now every year when i show up at the training week someone promptly reminds me of this story! It will go down in camp history lol!

good story! You will be lucky if they don't begin to call you "socks" Hi Socks
long time no see!:giggle:

well the only situation i can think of was when i was having a quiz in my ASL class and the teacher was signing short sentences that we were supposed to translate from ASL to english and write down in english word order.

she intended to sign "vacuum the floor" but instead, she said "vacuum the children". a few of us writing the quiz noticed her mistake and started laughing. it took a moment for her to register what she'd just signed. well, i guess you had to be there! but it's an inside joke that lasted with my ASL class for quite some time. =)

well the only situation i can think of was when i was having a quiz in my ASL class and the teacher was signing short sentences that we were supposed to translate from ASL to english and write down in english word order.

she intended to sign "vacuum the floor" but instead, she said "vacuum the children". a few of us writing the quiz noticed her mistake and started laughing. it took a moment for her to register what she'd just signed. well, i guess you had to be there! but it's an inside joke that lasted with my ASL class for quite some time. =)

Sometimes I have wanted to vacuum my children! Ever watch a
little boy shove a PBJ into his mouth really fast because he wanted
to go out and play some more? Ewweewu!

Back