Sign Language is Slowing the Courts Down?

brotheryellow

Reaction score
Ban on Sign Language, Article Misses the Point | Brotheryellow

I read Washington Post article about Howard County Circuit Judge William Tucker’s ban last week on spectators using sign language and facial expressions.

I appreciate that he recognized the legitimacy of ASL as a language.

The problem I have is with the author of that AP article and the newspaper who printed it. They say sign language is slowing the judicial process.

No, its not......

I think he's probably talking about the the article from The Washington Post that the site links to.....which, if you click that link is "currently" unavailable.

I'd really want to read the article to be able cone to my own opinion about it. I just can't go off someone else's opinion about something.

It has been talked about before so I think there is a thread about that. Maybe it's in Deaf News under Current Events.

After having read the article I'm not sure why this is controversial. The "Sign ban" does nothing more than extend the normal "no talking to witnesses while on the stand" rule to cover non-verbal communication. Something that IMO is perfectly reasonable.

After having read the article I'm not sure why this is controversial. The "Sign ban" does nothing more than extend the normal "no talking to witnesses while on the stand" rule to cover non-verbal communication. Something that IMO is perfectly reasonable.

yeah this is much ado about nothing. They're not banning the use of sign in the court room pertaining to the court proceedings, they're not taking of the away the rights of the people involved in the trial they still get to use sign.

When you're sitting in the court room, a spectator, you're not supposed to be all noisy and speaking to the other spectators or the witnesses. It's the same thing.

The judge didn't ban it because it was slowing the process down, that was just another observation in the articles. I can see why it would, with that many deaf witnesses. But the judge banned the inappropriate signing, just like anybody can't speak whenever they want to whoever they want, not the signing during court proceedings.

Last edited:
If the judge was Judge Judy, oh man, she would scare a spectator the shit out of him/her. :lol:

Back