Sign language interpreter steals the show at irma news conference

rockin'robin

Reaction score
He rocked viewers like a hurricane.

As Florida Gov. Rick Scott issued dire warnings about Irma on Saturday morning, all eyes were transfixed on the theatrical sign language interpreter beside him, stealing the show.

Tongue sticking out, eyes popping and eyebrows rising up and down like a storm surge, the interpreter’s hands flew along in time with Scott’s message, offering a dramatic visual that upstaged the governor’s calm delivery.

Impressed viewers called him “only good thing about” the monster storm threatening nearly all of Florida.

“I don’t understand sign language, but I get this guy’s warning. He’s great!!!!!” said another fan on Facebook.

Some questioned whether he was actually using American Sign Language, and a few critics said he was distracting.
But educators said that using dramatic facial expressions is the “grammar” of ASL, and is how severity is expressed in the silent language — eyes popping conveying the difference between “some flooding” and “severe flooding,” for instance.

Scott’s office could not immediately provide the name of its interpreter.

http://nypost.com/2017/09/09/sign-language-interpreter-steals-the-show-at-irma-news-conference/?

Watch the video...I think he was awesome!

Thanks for the video link.

I've seen several excellent interpreters with Harvey and Irma.

I think some hearing viewers aren't used to seeing ASL terps, especially if they grew up watching the little old church lady signing in the oval in the corner of the TV screen. :lol:

LOL Reba :)

This one I hadn't seen before and he's good. The one from Manatee County (bright yellow polo shirt, red shorts and flip flops) was... not the best in the world if he was even signing anything... barely... Maybe a last minute deal... who knows...

This one I hadn't seen before and he's good. The one from Manatee County (bright yellow polo shirt, red shorts and flip flops) was... not the best in the world if he was even signing anything... barely... Maybe a last minute deal... who knows...
From what I've read about this guy...they couldn't get or find a certified terp...and this guy did know "some" ASL...so they used him...He looked scared to death up there...LOL...and did a lousy job, couldn't keep up at all....

From what I understand that guy was literally just some employee that his boss made him do it. At least that's what I've been hearing. He's not an interpreter. Nor did he think he could do it.

Someone made a video with captions of what he actually signed. It's pretty sad. And makes no sense.

Definitely not an interpreter, but he got most of his signs right. I give him props for even trying.

He rocked viewers like a hurricane.

As Florida Gov. Rick Scott issued dire warnings about Irma on Saturday morning, all eyes were transfixed on the theatrical sign language interpreter beside him, stealing the show.

Tongue sticking out, eyes popping and eyebrows rising up and down like a storm surge, the interpreter’s hands flew along in time with Scott’s message, offering a dramatic visual that upstaged the governor’s calm delivery.

Impressed viewers called him “only good thing about” the monster storm threatening nearly all of Florida.

“I don’t understand sign language, but I get this guy’s warning. He’s great!!!!!” said another fan on Facebook.

Some questioned whether he was actually using American Sign Language, and a few critics said he was distracting.
But educators said that using dramatic facial expressions is the “grammar” of ASL, and is how severity is expressed in the silent language — eyes popping conveying the difference between “some flooding” and “severe flooding,” for instance.

Scott’s office could not immediately provide the name of its interpreter.

http://nypost.com/2017/09/09/sign-language-interpreter-steals-the-show-at-irma-news-conference/?

Watch the video...I think he was awesome!
I read that he's a CDI--no wonder he's so good! :)

Boy, that was just painful to watch. Sad for everyone, including him, that he was put in that position.

The contrast of the signer with Gov. Scott is comical. Scott looks like such and inanimate object, in comparison. Definitely suffers from White boy syndrome.

Thanks for the video link.

I've seen several excellent interpreters with Harvey and Irma.

I think some hearing viewers aren't used to seeing ASL terps, especially if they grew up watching the little old church lady signing in the oval in the corner of the TV screen. :lol:

LOL!

Back