Sign Language Email

Angel_Realm

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if there such thing as sign language email 'cause writing email to some deaf people can be difficult when they have poor english but fabulous signing skills.

Angel_Realm

Well, I am one of deafies who couldn't write a perfect sentence.. not even to save my life but I tried my best. I think deafies need to write, write and write more to pick up some decent english skill. Anyway about ASL emails, I am not sure if some deafies did that or not... they tend to use webcam (Yahoo/MSN/etc) or certain 'medium' technology to use ASL to communicate.

Maybe other AD'ers have some information about ASL emails (if there is any).

To be precise, my friend have a very poor english, I've tried to email video but it took up so much space. Unless someone can tell me how to turn a 2 minutes (20.2Kb) video into min space of (10kb).

Angel_Realm

Angel_Realm said:
To be precise, my friend have a very poor english, I've tried to email video but it took up so much space. Unless someone can tell me how to turn a 2 minutes (20.2Kb) video into min space of (10kb).

Angel_Realm
Hmmm. Try gmail? It comes with 1 gb (1,000 mb) of space. If you prefer to not register the gmail account or something, I can try to find a video compressor program that will handle the compression job (to reduce the video file size) for you.

2 minutes is 20 KB? Do you mean 20 MB?

As for talking in ASL, you'll just have to do with typing it in. People should learn to understand how to read instead of relying on signs all the time.

Deaf School back in 1970's - 1980's

Yeah 20Mb. Hey I come from Australia, if you force someone who is twice my age and went a deaf school that stuffed the deaf children up big time that they never learnt to write just because the school kept changing all the time and using deaf children as a guinea pigs. I think you need to think twice who this person really is. Depending on their background.

Rach

Why can't deaf schools teach SEE and real English? The reason my folks picked SEE over ASL is that they wanted me to have an ability to read and write well. It works well for me. Maybe it will work on others.

I think emails and chatting online is great practice for deafies who have poor English...although online English isn't the greatest with all its shortcuts. But still, it is better than nothing. Just my 2¢

Very Interesting

I've never heard of sending a sign language E-mail.
But E-mail does work for everybody like Richard said.
Margie

Angel_Realm said:

Angel_Realm
Get a program to change it into a WMV or other compressed format. Here are a few samples of using Roxio VideoWave to convert some files.

Sample 1, 160 x 120, 26kbps, 30KB File Size

Sample 2, 352 x 288, 368kbps, 510 KB File Size

Both files are 8 seconds long, compressed with WMV format.

Back