Sign for boring

Kristina, what book are you using?

btw, I tried listening... I couldn't tell what sounds it is. I didn't even know there suppose to be a paper rustling in the background. I thought it was a tv.

Kristina, what book are you using?

It's called "Sign Language Crash Course" by LindaLee Massoud

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sign-Language-Crash-Course-I/dp/1878819429]Amazon.com: Sign Language Crash Course I (9781878819420): LindaLee Massoud: Books[/ame]

It's no longer available. Our instructor is friends with the author and has had his book for a while and has her permission to copy it for instructional use.

So, it is a sign language book, not an ASL book.

No - this book is bright yellow, all paper or card stock with the heavy plastic spiral binding.

I have seen the original, but according to the instructor, the author said it wasn't intended for a big massive publishing and after somewhere near 15,000 copies sold, she was asked to do a volume 2 and 3 and she just didn't have the time and she feels she is too old to get back into writing another one. the person who did her drawings of the signs died and she doesn't want to "change the integrity of the book". (her words)

No - this book is bright yellow, all paper or card stock with the heavy plastic spiral binding.
Yes, I realized that after I posted.

I have seen the original, but according to the instructor, the author said it wasn't intended for a big massive publishing and after somewhere near 15,000 copies sold, she was asked to do a volume 2 and 3 and she just didn't have the time and she feels she is too old to get back into writing another one. the person who did her drawings of the signs died and she doesn't want to "change the integrity of the book". (her words)
She did manage to complete Volume II but it's also out of print.

So, it is a sign language book, not an ASL book.

The book has a mixture of deaf culture and history and all. there are ASL signs to learn and practice sentences. the sentences are laid out in a way that it has the english wording, the PSE wording, then the ASL wording. This way, you can learn to sign in both PSE and ASL. When I was told about the class, I was told that it would be ASL. The instructor is an ASL instructor who is not deaf or hoh. Most of the class (and he currently has 4 of them) are teachers from the local school district, local head start program or local catholic schools. I am the only deaf person, there are 2 hoh in the south county class and 1 man who will be having throat surgery in May due to throat cancer and will not be able to talk for a year or so. He's been through this once before and needed a refresher class. He is in the same class with me. Because I mentioned that I wanted ASL and so does this other guy, the instructor is tailoring the lessons more in ASL. the teachers need more PSE it seems. The local "special needs" school is closing down due to lack of funding and qualified teachers and so next school year all the kids will be mainstreamed unless their parents send them to a residential school for their needs. (the vision impaired and deaf or hoh students)

The instructor is trying to help all of us and only has 9 weeks to do it. He knows that I have been working on my own and getting some help here and says that it will be easier for me after the class is done. I will also be spending more time at my deaf socials and just found out about another deaf social around here, so I will check that out when I can. I can't leave the house often since I am taking care of my mother and MIL.

The book has a mixture of deaf culture and history and all. there are ASL signs to learn and practice sentences. the sentences are laid out in a way that it has the english wording, the PSE wording, then the ASL wording. This way, you can learn to sign in both PSE and ASL. When I was told about the class, I was told that it would be ASL. The instructor is an ASL instructor who is not deaf or hoh. Most of the class (and he currently has 4 of them) are teachers from the local school district, local head start program or local catholic schools. I am the only deaf person, there are 2 hoh in the south county class and 1 man who will be having throat surgery in May due to throat cancer and will not be able to talk for a year or so. He's been through this once before and needed a refresher class. He is in the same class with me. Because I mentioned that I wanted ASL and so does this other guy, the instructor is tailoring the lessons more in ASL. the teachers need more PSE it seems. The local "special needs" school is closing down due to lack of funding and qualified teachers and so next school year all the kids will be mainstreamed unless their parents send them to a residential school for their needs. (the vision impaired and deaf or hoh students)

The instructor is trying to help all of us and only has 9 weeks to do it. He knows that I have been working on my own and getting some help here and says that it will be easier for me after the class is done. I will also be spending more time at my deaf socials and just found out about another deaf social around here, so I will check that out when I can. I can't leave the house often since I am taking care of my mother and MIL.
:ty: for explaining your situation.

Thanks for explaining as I was confused like Reba.

I have those books in my personal ASL library,

ASL Literature Series - Student Workbook & DVD

Signing Naturally Level 1 Student DVD and Workbook

Signing Naturally Level 1 Teacher's Curriculum Guide and DVD

Signing Naturally Level 2 Student DVD and Workbook

Signing Naturally Level 2 Teacher's Curriculum Guide and DVD

Signing Naturally Level 3 Student DVD and Workbook

Signing Naturally Level 3 Teacher's Curriculum Guide and DVD

Journey into the DEAF-WORLD, A (Paperback)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/American-Language-Teachers-Resource-Grammar/dp/093032384X/ref=pd_sim_b_3"]American Sign Language Green Books, A Teacher's Resource Text on Grammar and Culture (American Sign Language Series)[/ame]

The Green Book is affectionately called as the ASL Bible in the Deaf Community and very important to have as well. It's a wonderful resource to have in your personal library as it covers ASL as well as Deaf Culture; this book also explains lexicalised ASL.

"bank" fingerspell as b-k

Body movement & body leans and the importance of using them when asking questions etc.

The yellow, pink and blue books explains honorific positions as well as non-manual signals (NMS) and non-manual markers (NMM) This whole thing is known as pragmatics and it does seem overwhelming to you but you will learn as you go.

Thank you for the list, Mrs. B. I'm fortunate to have a deaf person teaching me and one other student but the book that we're using sucks. This list is exactly what I need.

Thank you for the list, Mrs. B. I'm fortunate to have a deaf person teaching me and one other student but the book that we're using sucks. This list is exactly what I need.

I'm very happy to help you in any way I can.

You can always ask me to do videos to explain as well as ask me to go on ooVoo to explain a sign to you.

Don't be afraid to ask. I am just very happy to see this community learning ASL because it benefits everyone involved.

This weekend, I will make several videos explaining pragmatics, honorific *you, me, he, she* , NMM, NMS, body leans, etc.

I will do semantics too as well.

This video is perfect for a lot of learners.

I didn't realise I had this video in my YT account.

Semantics, classifiers (locative, social and conversational), metaphors, honorific *his, her*, body leans, NMM, NMS and pragmatics can be found in this video.

You can learn more in this video. Enjoy!

[yt]efDZcTyh_g0[/yt]

...The Green Book is affectionately called as the ASL Bible in the Deaf Community and very important to have as well. It's a wonderful resource to have in your personal library as it covers ASL as well as Deaf Culture; this book also explains lexicalised ASL. ...
Love my Green Books! :hug:

I'm very happy to help you in any way I can...

This weekend, I will make several videos explaining pragmatics, honorific *you, me, he, she* , NMM, NMS, body leans, etc.

I will do semantics too as well.
Wow, cool! Thanks for the videos. :ty:

In my class, one of my vocab words for this week is "boring". The book has it one way and the instructor shows another way. Which is used more often?

Book shows a sign like summer, but across the face just below the nose.

Instructor shows us a "1" handshape rubbing against the right nostril (outside). I've not seen that one anywhere online.

Which is correct or used more often?
As they said their are many different signs I tend to see signs done by young people and signs done by older people. I personally use the one finger and I see that a lot but, you will find that even some words people will use the ESL version of/or a sign that to my knowledge doesn't exist. I see people use a sign for try that I have been told is not correct at all. Sometimes it's kind of what catches on Mexico and/or Spainish I see those signs, signed differently often.

yes, when we had a young deaf ASL in our church, she showed us a sign for boring and it was on the nostril too (like what MrsBucket showed on youtube). if alot of people are doing this for boring, then I guess that's the only sign they know for boring.

As they said their are many different signs I tend to see signs done by young people and signs done by older people. I personally use the one finger and I see that a lot but, you will find that even some words people will use the ESL version of/or a sign that to my knowledge doesn't exist. I see people use a sign for try that I have been told is not correct at all. Sometimes it's kind of what catches on Mexico and/or Spainish I see those signs, signed differently often.
ESL = English as a Second Language.

Do you mean SEE or signed English?

Back