Sign Deny

violet

Reaction score
How do you sign DENY? I'm pretty sure I learned this sign..or maybe I learned alternatives to this sign; I would really like to know how to sign it..
I looked it up on signing savvy but I wasn't happy with the outcome..
How do you guys sign it!?

Thanks loves :)

How do you sign DENY? I'm pretty sure I learned this sign..or maybe I learned alternatives to this sign; I would really like to know how to sign it..
I looked it up on signing savvy but I wasn't happy with the outcome..
How do you guys sign it!?

Thanks loves :)

Both A hands , under chin, move out from under chin while shaking head dismissively.

Or a different one, A hand is tipped down sharply, like thumbs down.

Both A hands , under chin, move out from under chin while shaking head dismissively.

Or a different one, A hand is tipped down sharply, like thumbs down.

the second one you mention seems really familiar..that must've been the one I learned. Thanks Bott! :)

Just to clarify the picture more clearer. Like Botti said, Use both hands as A. Then make sure the thumb is sticking out so that the thumb goes under the chin and slid out of the chin and that goes for the second thumb on the other hand doing the same motion. It is like the word "not" with one hand. If you use both hands making the motion like that, then it is the sign for "Deny". I hope I am making myself clear on this. :hmm:

Just to clarify the picture more clearer. Like Botti said, Use both hands as A. Then make sure the thumb is sticking out so that the thumb goes under the chin and slid out of the chin and that goes for the second thumb on the other hand doing the same motion. It is like the word "not" with one hand. If you use both hands making the motion like that, then it is the sign for "Deny". I hope I am making myself clear on this. :hmm:

Yes, it is a better decsription than I gave. :)

So i must sign it two handed? it makes perfect sense ;) thank ya!

If you're looking for a video of how to sign it, ASLPro.com shows the sign for "DENY".

If you aren't' familiar with the ASLPro.com site - it's fantastic!!
To find a sign for an English gloss, click on the letter of the alphabet (in the upper left side of the screen) the English word starts with, and then scroll down the list to find the word/sign.

ASLPro.com also has a number of English to ASL translations (equivalents) of English or ASL idioms, figures of speech etc.

ASLPro.com is one of the best sites, if not the best site for vocabulary, idioms, phrases etc :D

BTW, yes you need to use both hands ... one way to remember how to sign DENY is:

Using only ONE "A" hand forming that motion means "NOT" - TWO hands provides more emphasis, making it "DENY" (which is more than just saying "no" or "not")

My second sign, which is not under the chin, is also correct and uses only one hand. It is absolutely an established and correct sign.

I know I sound like a broken record but which sign you use for DENY "depends on the context.". ;)

1= Not!!!

2= Turn down

how about the sign for "block"?
how about the submissive hand palm open, facing out wards while the dominant hand only has the index finger out flying towards the submissive's palm and bouncing off it?
how about (warning ASL GLOSS!) INFORM FALSE?

Many more... Like Reba said, depending on context..

how about the sign for "block"?
how about the submissive hand palm open, facing out wards while the dominant hand only has the index finger out flying towards the submissive's palm and bouncing off it?
how about (warning ASL GLOSS!) INFORM FALSE?

Many more... Like Reba said, depending on context..

I explained how the two I put work.

My second sign, which is not under the chin, is also correct and uses only one hand. It is absolutely an established and correct sign.

I explained how the two I put work.

Yeah, I see that. I was more of referring to the first quote I put in this post.

The way I see it - I don't see signs as words, I see them as concepts. English words has so many meanings for each word there is.

In ASL pretty much everything can be an "absolutely an established and correct sign" for whatever words there are.

For example - I could make the sign for 'tree' represent my mom and it would be correct. :)

I just didn't want the idea of words being fixated to certain signs - is all.

Yeah, I see that. I was more of referring to the first quote I put in this post.

The way I see it - I don't see signs as words, I see them as concepts. English words has so many meanings for each word there is.

In ASL pretty much everything can be an "absolutely an established and correct sign" for whatever words there are.

For example - I could make the sign for 'tree' represent my mom and it would be correct. :)

I just didn't want the idea of words being fixated to certain signs - is all.

Ok.

example ASL
not1.jpg

It is explain to you :)

NOt: deny

Back