Sickening!!!!

Regardless on condition of economy, I love CA so far.

CA is #1 biggest economy in the US and when stock crash started in 4 years ago so it is HUGE downhill for CA, regardless on spending cut and tax raises. It isn't first time for CA to face economy downturn and it has been done in couple of decades ago. Texas and Indiana have different condition of economy and they may not severely affect as CA does. CA isn't top 10 for most foreclosure and FL is one of them with around 14%.

It will take years for CA to have a great economy condition.

California will never have a great economy. California is our Greece.

I disagree with you and CA will have great economy in years.

You can't compare CA with Greece, just bad compare.

SAN FRANCISCO — California is not Greece, according to Standard & Poor’s.

The rating agency said in a report released Tuesday that comparisons between the most populated U.S. state and Greece’s financial quagmire are overblown.

“We believe that some of the perceptions about the similarities between California and Greece occasionally noted in the media do not hold up to closer scrutiny,” Standard & Poor’s analyst Gabriel Petek said in the report.

In a separate report released Tuesday, Fitch Ratings said it expects continued pressure on California school districts, leading to further negative rating actions.

Standard & Poor’s rates Greece BB-minus on a negative watch while it rates California A-minus with a negative *outlook.

Petek said it is incorrect to conclude that both governments have comparable debt burdens.

California’s gross domestic product reached $1.9 trillion in 2010 compared to Greece’s $305 billion, while the state’s real GDP growth rate is projected at 2.9% in 2011 versus Greece’s negative 3.5%, according to the report.

California is one of the top ten largest economies in the world.

The report also noted that Greece’s debt to GDP ratio is 153% compared to California’s 4.6% state government debt to gross state product.

California’s capacity to repay its debt, despite worse budget problems compared to other states, remains strong, according to the rating agency.

The report cited the state’s economic diversity, modern economy and the elasticity of many of its markets.

Petek said Greece’s budget problems are also worse compared to California since the Golden State has a comparably better political environment and smaller budget imbalances, even when adjusting for a wider scope of spending.

In California, the state constitution requires the state to adopt a balanced budget, which is not the case in Greece. Additionally, California must pay debt service ahead of all other obligations except for education, which is the top expenditure.

Petek said California benefits from Federal budget support while Greece is forced to rely on extraordinary loans from the European Union and the International Monetary Fund.

The report did note some similarities between the two economies, including that both have experienced severe recessions with high unemployment rates and both face deep budget deficits that have increased borrowing costs.

“Both governments face deep budget deficits, which we have seen complicated liquidity management for California and undermines investor confidence in the fiscal credibility of Greece,” the report said.

A majority of California’s budget has also already been allocated through voter-mandates, leaving the legislature will little flexibility.

Fitch said Tuesday it has taken negative actions on 16 school districts, 30% of all the school districts it rates in California, since the beginning of 2010. It said 37 school districts have been affirmed while just one was upgraded.

Fitch said the trend may worsen in fiscal 2012 and could further accelerate if the state decides to cut further into school spending.

In fiscal 2011, the state suspended Proposition 98 that sets a constitutionally guaranteed minimum funding level to be spent by the state on education.

The state’s school districts are under fiscal stress from reduced state funding, an end of one-time federal revenues, shrinking enrollment and tax bases and diminished spending flexibility, according to Fitch.

“Since most school districts have almost no control over their revenues, prudent management practices and expenditure controls are crucial to maintaining credit quality in this challenged environment,” Fitch said in the report.

“Although many districts have responded with sufficient offsetting expenditure reductions, others lack the ability or willingness to do so.”

California Is No Greece: Standard & Poor s - The Bond Buyer Article

Exactly :ty: Great economy there huh?

The economy in US (even CA is part of US) is still recovering and it will not be great until several years, or may more longer.

Remember about Japan had economy downturn for over 10 years (1990's to 2000's).

The economy in US (even CA is part of US) is still recovering and it will not be great until several years, or may more longer.

Remember about Japan had economy downturn for over 10 years (1990's to 2000's).

Facepalm

I very much disagree. He has cut funding to colleges across the state. How is this preparing the state of Indiana for the future? Colleges reacted by layoffs and tuition raises. This makes students at greater risk of needing to drop out for financial reasons or raising horrendous debt to go to college. Less people completing college mean less people in an educated workforce prepared to make and participate in a stable economy in the future.

He is sacrificing the future of Indiana to make himself look good in the present.

He stopped contributing to filling the education bubble with hot air. It was the responsible thing to do. He's put Indiana on a more stable economic footing.

Colleges responded politically. They could have chosen other areas for belt tightening.

Nobody forces students to borrow ridiculous amounts of money for school. That's a choice they make- or not. And the only two choices are not drop out or borrow so much money you can never, ever pay it back.

Incidentally, there are plenty of educated people who don't have a college degree. It's not the only way to get an education or an educated workforce, just the most expensive way.

People need to learn that getting an education is a personal investment. Who better to invest in than yourself?

People need to learn that getting an education is a personal investment. Who better to invest in than yourself?

WTF? Education is part of personal basic and should be free to everyone, however anyone is free to have a private education if they wants.

The education is very important for our futures.

WTF? Education is part of personal basic and should be free to everyone, however anyone is free to have a private education if they wants.

The education is very important for our futures.

Once more, there are many highly educated people who don't have college degrees. College has, in many cases, degenerated into nothing more than a credential.

Very few things in this life are actually free. I think what you mean is that somebody else should have to pay for college. That is an interesting sense of entitlement to other people's money.

It also devalues a college education for those who get one. You get out of your education what you put into it, and if you don't have to work for it, it doesn't mean as much for you.

Once more, there are many highly educated people who don't have college degrees. College has, in many cases, degenerated into nothing more than a credential.

Very few things in this life are actually free. I think what you mean is that somebody else should have to pay for college. That is an interesting sense of entitlement to other people's money.

It also devalues a college education for those who get one. You get out of your education what you put into it, and if you don't have to work for it, it doesn't mean as much for you.

I might not be in the states but I had to work my ass off in order to pay of college, and I had to sit by people tat had it all paid for.

There is that huge trend that show that in most (not all) cases the people who have to work for it value it more than the people who just have it given to them.

Also if my taxes were used fund everyone else's college education I would be mad. Because the value of the piece of paper you get at the end will mean nothing anymore.

I'm talking about K-12 education is basic needs for all children.

Well, without college degree, you will probably not get a stable job and you will have to look so hard to get a decent job. When you lose the job and still have college degree so you will have better chance to find another decent job, even no need to be unemployed for very long time or have to work in low pay, especially fast food or retail. Most IT jobs require college degree and couple of IT professors told me that almost all IT jobs require college degree in near future. One IT professor told me that her husband couldn't get a job at IT due to no college degree, despite about experienced in IT so he went to college to got a college degree so he got job in his hand.

I'm interested to work in IT and my job selection is limited due to usher syndrome, also it is safety issue. I had numerous accidents at retail job and they rather to let me go instead getting fired. I have 2 years to left at university and I have plenty of scholarship/grants to cover college expenses. After completion with undergraduate so I am going head to graduate school.

I'm talking about K-12 education is basic needs for all children.

Well, without college degree, you will probably not get a stable job and you will have to look so hard to get a decent job. When you lose the job and still have college degree so you will have better chance to find another decent job, even no need to be unemployed for very long time or have to work in low pay, especially fast food or retail. Most IT jobs require college degree and couple of IT professors told me that almost all IT jobs require college degree in near future. One IT professor told me that her husband couldn't get a job at IT due to no college degree, despite about experienced in IT so he went to college to got a college degree so he got job in his hand.

I'm interested to work in IT and my job selection is limited due to usher syndrome, also it is safety issue. I had numerous accidents at retail job and they rather to let me go instead getting fired. I have 2 years to left at university and I have plenty of scholarship/grants to cover college expenses. After completion with undergraduate so I am going head to graduate school.

k-12 I agree should be paid by the government.

k-12 I agree should be paid by the government.

Yup, offer free college education is expensive and need higher tax to afford. It will make college to be more picky about pick anyone to get admitted. I have mixed feeling about this case and sometime, it wasn't great idea.

I am SICK!!!! This is quoted by HEARINDIANA.ORG website, encouraging citizens of Indiana to write to their senators using this letter.... READ ON!!!

Dear Senator __________,

I am writing to encourage your SUPPORT for HB 1367.

{INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY. PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR EXPERIENCES WITH ISD/OUTREACH. OUR REPRESENTATIVES NEED TO KNOW WHY ISD/OUTREACH IS NOT APPROPRIATE FOR ALL FAMILIES.}

IMPORTANT FACTS:

95% of deaf and hard of hearing babies are born to HEARING parents.
80-90% of parents choose a Listening and Spoken Language as their communication option.
Newborn babies can wear hearing aids, and profoundly deaf babies can get a cochlear implant at age one.
99% of all profoundly deaf children are candidates for a cochlear implant, a device which allows them to listen, speak, and thrive in the hearing community.

Indiana's status quo concerning deaf and hard of hearing education is NOT working effectively for 80% of all Hoosier families. Of course, 100% of parents deserve to receive unbiased, comprehensive information about communication options, so they can make an informed decision about what is best for their family. HB 1367 will help ALL children who are deaf or hard of hearing, not just some of them. ALL parents deserve to have their communication choice(s) respected. Likewise, a family's use (or non-use) of hearing technology should be respected and supported through appropriate services. Under the current system, Hoosier parents do NOT have equal access to all communication options or information about hearing technology. Outreach services for the entire state should not be associated with one school and ONE philosophy.

HB 1367 is NOT adding an agency, but rather, it is moving one. Unlike ISD/Outreach, which promotes ASL as the language for thinking, the new Center would be unbiased toward any particular mode of communication. It would serve ALL deaf and hard of hearing families regardless of the communication methods chosen.

HB 1367 includes tracking and monitoring of children who are deaf and hard of hearing as they are identified and enrolled in appropriate services. These activities will prevent children from falling through the cracks. As a result, the State of Indiana will spend less money in intervention down the road.

HB 1367 offers the opportunity to align our state with the best practices in early intervention for children who are deaf or hard of hearing. I will be very disappointed if we do not take advantage of this opportunity to make our Indiana system work for all children who need it.

Every 48 hours a baby in Indiana is born with a hearing loss. We can't wait. We must make this change NOW!

For our children’s future, please SUPPORT HB 1367.

Sincerely,

Lol, yeah that is full of bullshit. 99 percent are qualified to CI? Half of my deaf friends and myself did not qualify to CI.

Back