SHOULD YOU BE ASHAMED

PrettyBrownEyes

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) Sprint:PPC6800)

SHOULD YOU BE ASHAMED WHO YOU ARE IF YOUR TRULY GAY? OR WOULD YOU BE LIKE
IM NOT PROUD WHO I AM. I JUST NEED OPINIONS ...I KNOW THE ANSWER ALREADY

Be proud of who you are and dont listen to anyone else who says otherwise.

Be ashamed if you are ashamed of yourself.

I'm so ashamed to be gay. That's why I'm straight :D Oh hello boobs!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) 320x320; XV6900; Window Mobile 6.1 Professional;)

Being ashame is never the answer, since you will start to believe the negative thoughts or things said about you. Try to really learn who you are, and be comfortable with your decision, that is a good way to be proud of who you are no matter what BS comes your way. (BTW, I'm not talking about defensiveness, just makes you look like you are hiding your shortcomings). :)

If you are not proud of who you are then ask yourself why and try to get it fixed. If you feel ashamed, find out why. Do not let other people depress you.

born-gay-1.png

You should never be ashamed of who you are unless you are a mass murderer on the run. For years I struggled with this, but now I think I realize that it was incredibly foolish to try and hide it when really it was quite obvious to everyone around me, either that or it was just an unspoken assumption and they anticipated the great coming out.

I never really thought about being homosexual in high school. I guess it was just one of those things I put in the back of my mind and left it there to simmer. Then later as I got a bit older, I got into a very bad way and I think I was kind of taking things out on myself in a way because I was like "I don't want to be gay, but I think I am!" I kept having these strange attractions to women. It's not like I've never fallen in love with a man, I have fallen completely mad in love with a man, and had my heart broken, but I find I am more attracted to women.

I don't believe there is any shame in that nor should there be for anyone. However, for reasons aside from personal reasons, I have yet to actually come out of the closet in my hometown, however everyone seems to be making their assumptions that I am in fact homosexual. When I am financially stable and in a position that I feel confident in doing so, I will probably come out to everyone in my hometown.

I have a different question: whom out of everyone who has answered believes they were "born gay" or whom do you believe have "become gay" from early (or later) life experiences. I have friends who have expressed that they have become gay from earlier experiences, I think that is rarely talked about, please share your experience with us =)

Peace and Blessings!

I am not ashamed of who I am. That said, I have had a long hard difficult journey trying to figure out what I am in terms of who I really love. I am still not out to my parents. I grew up in a very snotty superfical area, and at the time I was supposed to be coming to terms with who I am that way, I was coming to terms with surviving the hellhole of my high school and trying to figure out how I identified in terms of disabilty etc. I know I love girls. But at the same time, if the girls I've loved had been guys I would have felt the same about them. Maybe that's the reason I'm not totally out. I'm still trying to figure out what I am. I am out to many people, including my best friends, and some relatives.

I'm not gay but i got a couple of close freinds who are, and they are great mates. I have noticed that the real tragedy of being gay has been visually well captured in a film called "XXY" (i think it was a Swede film). It really brings it out clearly the struggle, the emotional and the self-hatred which many young gay, transsexual faces. These issues were placed in the family, close community context so poigently that I think it should be made compulsory viewing for high school students in order to gear up the thinking and empathy capacity to everyone as a whole. That said, the film provoke everyone viewing the film to realise sexually (identity-wise) troubled people are is human, not freaks of nature or monsters but the film still didn't (probably deliberately so?) show clearly what is the resolve or how to resolve dilemma it merely left to the audience however so, that bit I can understand what they getting at but at same time i still found it somewhat unhelpful, except to those already 'deep thinker'.

Back to this thread, no, you shouldnt be ashamed, but then again what is it? the lust after somebody you cant have? er..there are often more than one reasons why in one way or another a relationship is hindered than just merely sexual want/preference (but it is a potent enough) but then like the film XXY, it had been depicted in a small town environment to which where it 'makes it easy to isolate other distractions such as the many 'other roles or players (characters) in society, say in the city) so in this effect, it creates an atmosphere where everyone probably knows everybody (this partly distorts or strengthen - depending if you liked the director/producers intent or style.
This film attempts to deal with how society already 'hate gays?', come to think of it, I like this film because I felt it that I wish there was a film about deafness in the similar way to show how do we really have a problem dealing with society expectation for us to deny or be ashamed of being d/Deaf? because success is not just about being in favour of majority's language but also 'attitude'. Put differently, society only 'likes' or 'approves' us 'so-called doesnt matter if we use sign, ASL' the reality is that as long as we conform to a certain way of thinking or behaviour , then there is 'harmony' but its clearly a fake one (dont we all know this??!).

Also I dare to say this if we go back to this film (you must watch it), notice the 'hold-back of the resolve' at the end of the film, it seem to suggest that in contrary to popular formulatic 'disability/gender/crime/even romance (particularily films about love in between main dancers) themes' this one has a 'open ended' resolve but with no resolve, only acceptance- but a weak one, this could be said the same for our situation being d/Deaf in hearing society that as long as we have some 'hearing culture' in the base of our awareness or acknowledgement then we are showing our approval of their ways and putting our own as 'our own' as we have to live with it. This is an uneasy parrallel to make, I mean, for the hermaphrodite (this film was about this!) where she is a he also, to make sense of what the uneasy comparison I'm trying to illustrate is, imagine a deaf person is also a hearing person, then society sees the hearing person but not a deaf soul, but the dilemma is how can a hearing person have a deaf soul when all the experiences is 'in the hearing world'? it is extremely thought-provoking I must say. Lastly, in the light of this film, I like it because it is a highly visual capture of the the murky difficulity to dealing with extreme ambivalence.
Sorry if this seem off- the track but i hope you find this well-received. Cheers

oh Last thing, dont be ashamed, being ashamed is taking all the society's dissproval as your own which is not true. If you know this much, then it is logical there is no need for shame. Are you ashame of being deaf? the answer is already there and I bet you already are half way, make it complete.

Last edited:
I was born gay that way. Nope, I'm not ashamed of what I am/who I am. If they're ashamed of what I am nor who I am, that's their problems. Nobody ever forces you what they want you to be, "It's your life", Importantly be happy and don't be ashamed of what/who you are.

Peace

Back