Should there be accommodations made in a loud machine shop?

Should I pull out of this career field?

• Yes, you should not be doing this.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, you're fine.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Anonymously

Reaction score
I am HOH, and I'm currently in school for manufacturing. The machine shop is always loud, and the sharp sounds hurt my ears sometimes. This career has a high likelihood of hearing loss long term. However, it is very important to hear because it would be a safety hazard if I cannot hear; it is required to hear instructions. If I put earplugs, it will be as if I am deaf and will not be able to communicate with the hearing people.

My audiologist and other professionals thinks I made a big big mistake doing this program, because they fear I will lose hearing from this career field. They said I should of never signed up for it, and must change careers.

I like where I'm at, and enjoy this career path. I'm physically capable. I just don't know what to do to get accommodations. Your take on this?

It sounds like the shop isn't following OSHA hearing loss prevention guidelines. Every person in that environment should be using hearing protection.

It sounds like the shop isn't following OSHA hearing loss prevention guidelines. Every person in that environment should be using hearing protection.
They have earplugs, but no one really uses them. And a lot of the time it's hard to react fast enough to sudden loud noises.

some of my machines are loud for the hearing workers and it doesn't bother me at all...i m totally deaf and cannot hear any loud noise which bother their ears... i love my machines because they run good to work with. they hate them which its not my problems...

They should all be using earplugs...

The company I work for also has factories and all employees going in, are obliged to wear hearing protection.

And for any sudden sounds you need to hear, those things can be adapted to have lights to indicate this no?

if you wear hearing aids you could turn them down to the lowest possible level while working but may still be able to hear just enough to catch anything when you are needed. I don't know if that would work for everybody.

The workers not using ear plugs (hearing folks) aren't following OSHA rules.. like Reba said the shop doesn't seem to be following OSHA guidelines and that isn't a good thing.

No reason why you can't stay in the field but that particular shop may not be the best place to be as it is for both hearing and HOH people.

some of my machines are loud for the hearing workers and it doesn't bother me at all...i m totally deaf and cannot hear any loud noise which bother their ears... i love my machines because they run good to work with. they hate them which its not my problems...
Well, I'm not deaf so I cannot relate. I'm asking if I shouldn't do this program because there's a running risk to lose hearing, not that I'm already deaf.

if you wear hearing aids you could turn them down to the lowest possible level while working but may still be able to hear just enough to catch anything when you are needed. I don't know if that would work for everybody.

The workers not using ear plugs (hearing folks) aren't following OSHA rules.. like Reba said the shop doesn't seem to be following OSHA guidelines and that isn't a good thing.

No reason why you can't stay in the field but that particular shop may not be the best place to be as it is for both hearing and HOH people.
Okay, I see. Thank you!

They should all be using earplugs...

The company I work for also has factories and all employees going in, are obliged to wear hearing protection.

And for any sudden sounds you need to hear, those things can be adapted to have lights to indicate this no?
No, there aren't any lights to indicate sudden sounds. It just happens.

This sounds bogus as hell. No doctor or audi will tell you to quit your job ! I worked in a machine shop, running a full machine shop rebuilding, repairing, modifying and designing machinery, I also worked in a steel factory as a punch press operator and being HOH at the time using ear plugs I could still hear my coworkers just fine ( because we all know how to yell ) To me it sounds like you don't like your job and want out instead of the way you presented it. Been there, done that and know better. Sudden sounds? Everything makes sudden sounds. Sound pitches? well if everything sounded exactly the same you wouldn't know what it was would we?
So should the Military start using paintball guns, Should cars start being produced without stereos? There are loud noises around you daily and some by choice, I just don't get why some whine that they love this but hate that and yet they do worst elsewhere..... points to ponder.

*Call OSHA and complain, see what happens.

There's plenty of jobs with loud noise involved but one's hearing should be a priority regardless; if the school is not up to speed on the damage it poses, it should be bought to the attention of the administrators.

There's plenty of jobs with loud noise involved but one's hearing should be a priority regardless; if the school is not up to speed on the damage it poses, it should be bought to the attention of the administrators.
its as simple as wearing hearing protection, Plugs or electronic ear protection that automatically adjust ( such as the electronic ones for the gun ranges ) you can still hear what people say.

Buy yourself the best electronic noise canceling ear muffs which allows you to hear voice but cuts out machine noise and wear them. All OSHA requires is that earplugs be provided, but it's up to you to protect the hearing you have left the best way you can.

Then again, a Deaf person doesn't need to hear in order to do work. Plug it and Slave away.

I just looked back at the OP and he/she starts by saying "I am HOH, and I'm currently in school for manufacturing." So . . . being "in school" could take quite a bit more communication than later when an employee.

I just looked back at the OP and he/she starts by saying "I am HOH, and I'm currently in school for manufacturing." So . . . being "in school" could take quite a bit more communication than later when an employee.

Depends on what they mean by school.

Online schooling doesn't require verbal/oral communication
Trade schools don't always have long lecture classes...many do "Hands on" workshop based course work...Communication sure but I'm not so sure it's heavily dependent on it.

He also noted he's also looking beyond school as to what to do

Still OSHA applies to any shop/business.....

Still OSHA applies to any shop/business.....

Suggest that you re-read the post you made and the reply I made to it. I am trying to make that easy by quoting them below.

My response was to what came through to me as you saying that a deaf person in such a job does not need to hear. My reminder was that the OP is still in school and I think would need to communicate more during that than later. I did not refer to OSHA or dispute that it applies in both situations.

Then again, a Deaf person doesn't need to hear in order to do work. Plug it and Slave away.

Back