Should Netflix Be Accessible to the Deaf?

It is already accessible for Deaf people. Every movie and TV show is captioned.

I thought it was...it has closed captioning options...what else does it need for the Deaf?

Lol I mostly watch my favorite tv shows like now I'm watching season 2 of Heros

Sent from my LGLS990 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I have Netflix and it has subtile in the streaming movies I choose... no complaints here.

I have netflix as well. Nice to catch an old movie or catch up on Eps from a show that's on TV.

I have used Hulu PLus and they are more for TV Shows. Having both would cover all my bases and I wouldn't even need to pay $160 a month for cable. But trying to teach my parents how to use these 2 Apps, have been problematic since my parents are old school and won't learn how to pull them up.

I have an Apple TV3. I am not sure how that works if I cancel a TV subscription and keep the internet cable and a telephone (for my hearing mother) because Apple TV requires the internet for the connection. I also have Netflix which cost 8 dollars a month.

My bill was 129 and recent one is 203 dollars. I don't understand my price jumped that high. I have a new cable box replacement last month. My cable box was 7 years old.

I am sure that my Cox company is playing with me for more money.

I use Netflix and Amazon Prime. Netflix is great with captions for the most part. For a while there some of the tv shows' episodes would either have entirely missing captions or have captions that actually belonged to another episode(that was totally weird...)! Amazon Prime is ok though when I watched Tootsie I could tell a LOT of the captions were mismatched to the dialog or missing entirely...really strange (Tootsie was not on Netflix). Amazon Prime is a bit of a pain with their letterbox size for films.. I want full screen! I did figure out a way to get around that for some of the films though...

I think Netflix should be more accessible to Asian film audiences. They have very few Asian movies and many of the new releases just never make it to any of the online streaming carriers. There's really a limited selection of Hong Kong and Korean films, a few Japanese movies and almost no Thai films. It's really pathetic. To say nothing of Argentina and Brazil which are also completely overlooked. Not everyone speaks English and just because they don't doesn't make them second class citizens. Film carriers in the US need to recognize how many of their customers watch these films and respond - with captions, not English dubbed either....

Laura

True but I would think that in each of the markets Netflix is in (Thailand for example) the samples and offerings are going to be completely different than what is offered in the US. But I see what you are saying though there's so much that never make it to ANY of the Netflix content libraries.

In a quick google there apparently is a trick(or two) to be able to view movies and shows offered in other regions (suck as UK or Japan).

http://patch.com/massachusetts/beve...rtainment&utm_campaign=recirc&utm_content=aol

Not one Asian title among them. What does Netflix think there's no Asians in the U.S? Did they fail to notice that outside of Hollywood, Bollywood and Hong Kong rule? Not even one film from three years ago, Overheard I, II or III - nothing new from Lau Ching Wan, Sandra Ng, Louis Koo, Carina Lau....I wish there was an Asian film site online that allowed streaming to TVs in the U.S. I'd be so done with Netflix....

http://patch.com/massachusetts/beve...rtainment&utm_campaign=recirc&utm_content=aol

Not one Asian title among them. What does Netflix think there's no Asians in the U.S? Did they fail to notice that outside of Hollywood, Bollywood and Hong Kong rule? Not even one film from three years ago, Overheard I, II or III - nothing new from Lau Ching Wan, Sandra Ng, Louis Koo, Carina Lau....I wish there was an Asian film site online that allowed streaming to TVs in the U.S. I'd be so done with Netflix....

Have you tried Crunchyroll?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/

Netflix is already accessible to Deaf and Hard of Hearing with closed captioning ever since National Association of the Deaf filed civil rights against Netflix a few years ago with the help of Marlee Matlin.

While at that time when NAD with Marlee Matlin to back them up when filing a suit against Netflix, Purple Communication jumped in from the beginning too which not many people are aware of Purple Communication helps Deaf community to have the access to Netflix to require closed captioning on all of movies and shows on Netflix. Found out about Purple part was through one of management employee at that time made a vlog about the case that he (Purple) was involved to back up NAD along with Marlee Matlin.

Netflix is already accessible to Deaf and Hard of Hearing with closed captioning ever since National Association of the Deaf filed civil rights against Netflix a few years ago with the help of Marlee Matlin.

While at that time when NAD with Marlee Matlin to back them up when filing a suit against Netflix, Purple Communication jumped in from the beginning too which not many people are aware of Purple Communication helps Deaf community to have the access to Netflix to require closed captioning on all of movies and shows on Netflix. Found out about Purple part was through one of management employee at that time made a vlog about the case that he (Purple) was involved to back up NAD along with Marlee Matlin.
Oh, the more people, the stronger fight. So that's why Netflix made a settlement.

http://patch.com/massachusetts/beverly/netflix-subscribers-grace-and-frankie-original-netflix-series-and-other-movies-releases-coming-may?utm_source=article-mostrecent&utm_medium=rss&utm_term=arts%20&%20entertainment&utm_campaign=recirc&utm_content=aol

You didn't find some in a foreign category? If not, then you should write a letter to (or call, email or blog in its forum) the company to complain about it.

Otherwise, you may find what you are looking for in Google. https://www.google.com/search?q=chinese+movies&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Back