should i tell my boss?

I want to ask why you took a job that requires you to talk on the phone...and then tell your boss that you could talk on the phone...if in fact you can't talk on the phone. I think the problem isn't that you have issues with the phone, but that you specifically indicated that it wouldn't be an issue.

How much of the phone aspect is crucial to your job?
Does it matter if the job requires phone duties if you're able to use the relay system? wouldn't it be against the law if you asked that question?

it would piss bosses off more when they get sued. I wonder if the governments are lax regarding to solving these problems

I suppose it depends who and where you are.

I'm a 57 year old male with zero hearing in one ear and a 90-100db loss in the other. I could be let go tomorrow for any reason whatsoever and have no legal recourse. It's not like they'd say that they're letting me go because of my hearing (or age). They'd just eliminate the position. Bye.

I doubt it's easy to win such a suit, absent some obvious idiocy on the part of the employer.

I suppose it depends who and where you are.

I'm a 57 year old male with zero hearing in one ear and a 90-100db loss in the other. I could be let go tomorrow for any reason whatsoever and have no legal recourse. It's not like they'd say that they're letting me go because of my hearing (or age). They'd just eliminate the position. Bye.

I doubt it's easy to win such a suit, absent some obvious idiocy on the part of the employer.
yeah, those sneaky loopholes, trumpstyle

yeah, those sneaky loopholes, trumpstyle

I'm not sure I'd call it a loophole. Just reality. Where I'm located in the USA my employer can let me go any time for any reason. Maybe they don't like my shoes. There's no legal recourse just because I'm deaf. I'd have to somehow prove that this was the reason I was let go. That'd be pretty tough to do unless the HR guy was dumb enough to say, "PinballWiz, we're letting you go because your hearing sucks."

Seems unlikely.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd call it a loophole. Just reality. Where I'm located in the USA my employer can let me go any time for any reason. Maybe they don't like my shoes. There's no legal recourse just because I'm deaf. I'd have to somehow prove that this was the reason I was let go. That'd be pretty tough to do unless the HR guy was dumb enough to say, "PinballWiz, we're letting you go because your hearing sucks."

Seems unlikely.
I think there are some lawyers that could make them do something

I recently got a job that requires i answer the phone every so often, and i did let my boss know that im hard of hearn should i tell my boss that i cant really answer the phones? im afraid ill get fired despite the americans with disabilities act

i wasnt aware i was required to talk on the phone when i took the job and told him that my disability wouldnt be a hindrance. its kinda important but i could probably get away with not using it a whole bunch, or using speaker phone. it was my bad that i didn't realise but he didnt exactly ask me if i could answer a phone or not after i told him i was hard of hearing so theres no way i could have known.

I have to SMH at this thread. I can understand if you truly didn’t know at first that you’d need to do phones (as you said in an earlier post) but “i did let my boss know that im hard of hearn should i tell my boss that i cant really answer the phones?” and you then tell him “told him that my disability wouldnt be a hindrance.” ...... this was your opportunity to be honest with him and tell him that yes, your deafness does hinder how well you can do phones. You two could’ve probably worked something out at this point. But now that you’ve lied, I don’t see you getting legal help that helps you. If an employer is aware that phones are a part of the job, and still hires you, and then refuses to accommodate you, I could see you having a case. But you telling him “told him my disability wouldnt be a hindrance” threw that out the window. I would say something to your boss NOW. Better late than never, and if that results in you getting terminated (whether because you can’t carry out a pertinent job function, or especially because you lied,) let that be a lesson learned.

does it matter if disability would be a hindrance under ADA laws? whats the point in having ADA?

does it matter if disability would be a hindrance under ADA laws? whats the point in having ADA?

I don't know the full ins and outs of the ADA, but it's not a big blanket of protection, especially if someone misrepresented their capabilities in order to get hired. If I apply for a job on the loading dock and indicate that lifting 50 pound packages won't be a problem, and they day after I'm hired confess that I've got lower back problems and can't really lift 50 pound packages...I doubt there is any recourse under the ADA.

Working in a retail store, 85% of the time requires phone calls or answers. I used to work in a grocery store as a cake decorator, most times I did not have to answer the phone for orders but there are times where I had to take the calls. Game stop is a very small store with only 1 or 2 employees at a time rarely I see more than 2 so they need you to answer phones.

It is a 2 way tho, He/she should have asked you if you can take phone calls etc. You on the other hand even tho you said it was not hinderance but could have said do I require to take phone calls etc, if so I may have some issue with that.

Back